DHCP Linux to Linux problem, Windows to Linux works using same PC!

DHCP Linux to Linux problem, Windows to Linux works using same PC!

Post by Gerard Perreaul » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I am baffled. Tried 3 days. Hope this isn't a silly problem.

I have configured at home a Linux server with 2 Ethernet cards. One is
going to a Cable Modem(eth0), the other to a hub(eth1). The second (client)
computer has one card(eth0), it goes to the same hub.

The server is the gateway. Its address is 192.168.0.1. I configured DHCP
server on eth1, firewall, IP masq, etc. Cable modem uses dhcp too. Here is
my problem. The client computer is a dual boot computer. When I boot
Windows 98 on it, while I look at /var/log/messages on the server, I see
the DHCP request comming in, and the offer and the acceptance of the IP
address, etc by the client. On the client the Windows boot proceeds
normally. I eventually start Internet Explorer and get to the web, see the
cable modem lights blinking as they should, etc. (Don't forget, the cable
modem is on the server eth0 directly, not on the hub). So, I should say
that everything works fine, masquerade, firewall and all.

But when the same client box boots Linux (same Mandrake 7.1 version as the
server), then things don't turn out as they should. Once it brought up its
eth0, it asks for an address. Dhcp server replies, as it did with Windows,
but the client linux box does not seem to have seen it. It waits and tries
again about 10 seconds later. It tries for 60 seconds or so then displays a
DHCP failed.

Never got it to work.

I tought that maybe the irq or io_range where wrong, but I am using an
NE2000 compatible, and the driver is the ne module. The parameters are the
same as under Windows, io_port=0x300 irq=11 probe_pci=1. They are also the
same as on the server box (eth0 is a 3com on the server, eth1 is ne).
Regardless, I tried all the IRQ possible anyway and none helped. If I
change the io_port it does not see the card at all. So I have to conclude
that the values I use are acceptable.

So, I told myself, lets forget about all that DHCP stuff on the client.
I'll assign it the static IP address 192.168.0.62. (On server
/etc/dhcpd.conf set the range from 2 to 60 so I used 62). The netmask I
used were both 255.255.255.0 (first trials) 255.255.0.0 (other trials). I
set the client the gateway to 192.168.0.1. Did everything according to the
book. So, now, when the client comes up, it activates the eth0, ifconfig -a
confirms it, but I can't ping anything but 192.168.0.62 (or loopback). The
server can't ping the client either. I see the lights blink on the hub. It
does not seem that the cable modem gets trafic from those pings (and I
would not expect it to get any).

What is going on! I hate the idea that I got Windows to work with my linux
server while I cant get the same box to work while using linux on it.

BTW: Under the working(sick) windows, ms-prompt box, the ROUTE PRINT
command displays weird routes. Since I am not familiar with that output, I
don't know if it is normal for windows, or not. Maybe the routes are messed
up on the client. I did not activate firewall on it, nor forwarding.

Thanks. All the help is appreciated.

Gerard Perreault

DHCP Linux to Linux problem, Windows to Linux works using same PC!

Post by Dual » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:11:06 GMT, "Gerard Perreault"

>I am baffled. Tried 3 days. Hope this isn't a silly problem.

>I have configured at home a Linux server with 2 Ethernet cards. One is
>going to a Cable Modem(eth0), the other to a hub(eth1). The second (client)
>computer has one card(eth0), it goes to the same hub.

>The server is the gateway. Its address is 192.168.0.1. I configured DHCP
>server on eth1, firewall, IP masq, etc. Cable modem uses dhcp too. Here is
>my problem. The client computer is a dual boot computer. When I boot
>Windows 98 on it, while I look at /var/log/messages on the server, I see
>the DHCP request comming in, and the offer and the acceptance of the IP
>address, etc by the client. On the client the Windows boot proceeds
>normally. I eventually start Internet Explorer and get to the web, see the
>cable modem lights blinking as they should, etc. (Don't forget, the cable
>modem is on the server eth0 directly, not on the hub). So, I should say
>that everything works fine, masquerade, firewall and all.

>But when the same client box boots Linux (same Mandrake 7.1 version as the
>server), then things don't turn out as they should. Once it brought up its
>eth0, it asks for an address. Dhcp server replies, as it did with Windows,
>but the client linux box does not seem to have seen it. It waits and tries
>again about 10 seconds later. It tries for 60 seconds or so then displays a
>DHCP failed.

>Never got it to work.

>I tought that maybe the irq or io_range where wrong, but I am using an
>NE2000 compatible, and the driver is the ne module. The parameters are the
>same as under Windows, io_port=0x300 irq=11 probe_pci=1. They are also the
>same as on the server box (eth0 is a 3com on the server, eth1 is ne).
>Regardless, I tried all the IRQ possible anyway and none helped. If I
>change the io_port it does not see the card at all. So I have to conclude
>that the values I use are acceptable.

>So, I told myself, lets forget about all that DHCP stuff on the client.
>I'll assign it the static IP address 192.168.0.62. (On server
>/etc/dhcpd.conf set the range from 2 to 60 so I used 62). The netmask I
>used were both 255.255.255.0 (first trials) 255.255.0.0 (other trials). I
>set the client the gateway to 192.168.0.1. Did everything according to the
>book. So, now, when the client comes up, it activates the eth0, ifconfig -a
>confirms it, but I can't ping anything but 192.168.0.62 (or loopback). The
>server can't ping the client either. I see the lights blink on the hub. It
>does not seem that the cable modem gets trafic from those pings (and I
>would not expect it to get any).

Really not a DHCP problem.
Somehow the linux clients response doesn't make it to your firewall.
Make sure options like transceiver select and half duplex are ok.

Quote:>BTW: Under the working(sick) windows, ms-prompt box, the ROUTE PRINT
>command displays weird routes. Since I am not familiar with that output, I
>don't know if it is normal for windows, or not. Maybe the routes are messed
>up on the client. I did not activate firewall on it, nor forwarding.

The 224... route is for multicast
The 255.255.255.255 is broadcast...

DualIP

1. How to get DHCP & Static working on Linux for Windows Clients using a Cable Modem

Hi,

    Here's the scoop, I just got a cable modem and I have 2 PCs, one
has Windows 98 SE and the other has Linux Redhat 7.1 server.  I also
have a hub.  My goal is to hook the cable modem into one card in the
linux box and have DHCP/Static address work to give other PCs (Win98)
access to the internet through the HUB.  I am aware I will need
another nic in the linux box then a crossover cable to the hub to get
this to work.  I am just not sure about how to setup DHCP so it will
give internet to the other PCs through the linux PC.  Also down the
raod I might get another PC that has some server setup that needs a
STATIC ip assigned from the Linux box.  Also I am aware this could all
be solved if I plugged the cable modem into the hub, but the point is
I am trying to learn something about linux and networking.

Thanks is advance,
Adam

2. Linux 2.0

3. window-pc can't connect with linux-pc using mgetty

4. Help, me.

5. HELP How do I get Philips PC Camera PCA635VC working on linux (windows works)

6. stopping pflogd

7. Configuring Linux tools: i586-pc-linux-gnu or i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1 ?????

8. plz help with ftp pc based files to a unix environment

9. Dhcp problem between Linux DHCP Server & Linux client

10. Internet connection works in Windows, not in Linux (DHCP)

11. Apple - PC windows sharing using Linux server

12. newby: connect a linux-pc with another one using windows

13. Getting Windows PC to talk to Linux PC via ethernet