Slackware Linux DHCP server giving incorrect netmask to clients.

Slackware Linux DHCP server giving incorrect netmask to clients.

Post by P » Fri, 10 May 2002 00:14:36

Hello all, we (that is to say, the company for which I am employed)
are having an interesting situation that I hope someone here has seen
before and can assist us with.

Thanks in advance for any help.

OK, here's the deal: recently we replaced our previous DHCP server
with a new one. The old server was NetWare Border Manager (version
3.x) and the new one is Slackware Linux 8.0 (with the default DHCP
daemon installed). The Kernel was upgraded to 2.4.17.

The problem we're having is this: some computers attached to our
network are receiving (or have received) incorrect information from
the DHCP server. The IP Address range is fine (172.16.x.x) but the
Subnet Mask, which should be 255.255.0.0 is being set to 255.0.0.0.

Has anyone seen this before and know how to rectify this? The
workstations that receive the DHCP leases are all Windows 95/98/2000.
The workstations that are receiving the problematic netmask are only
Win95/98.

Here's the relevant portion of our dhcpd.conf:

subnet 172.16.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 {
        range 172.16.1.0 172.16.3.0;
        option routers 172.16.0.1;

Quote:}

So you see, this should be fine. Basically, give each client a unique
IP Address between 172.16.1.0 and 172.16.3.0, inclusive; excepting for
Static IP Addresses (servers).

Yet, this setup is producing the error as indicated above.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Slackware Linux DHCP server giving incorrect netmask to clients.

Post by XX_Ryde » Fri, 10 May 2002 00:27:20

Ok i had the exact problem Well almost anyways...

I know this might be a pain in the arse but try moving onto the (192.168.1.1
Master server ip) and 192.168.1.whatever for clients) ofcourse you need to
give the other servers a static ip but i was going through the same problem
as in win2000 seemed to rectify and fix itself but in the 95/8/me didnt ??.

So i just whent went wild and changed the ip ranges.
Ohhh and also try 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask....

I really hope this has helped ??
let me know aye...

XX_RydeR.

Quote:> Hello all, we (that is to say, the company for which I am employed)
> are having an interesting situation that I hope someone here has seen
> before and can assist us with.

> Thanks in advance for any help.

> OK, here's the deal: recently we replaced our previous DHCP server
> with a new one. The old server was NetWare Border Manager (version
> 3.x) and the new one is Slackware Linux 8.0 (with the default DHCP
> daemon installed). The Kernel was upgraded to 2.4.17.

> The problem we're having is this: some computers attached to our
> network are receiving (or have received) incorrect information from
> the DHCP server. The IP Address range is fine (172.16.x.x) but the
> Subnet Mask, which should be 255.255.0.0 is being set to 255.0.0.0.

> Has anyone seen this before and know how to rectify this? The
> workstations that receive the DHCP leases are all Windows 95/98/2000.
> The workstations that are receiving the problematic netmask are only
> Win95/98.

> Here's the relevant portion of our dhcpd.conf:

> subnet 172.16.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 {
> range 172.16.1.0 172.16.3.0;
> option routers 172.16.0.1;
> }

> So you see, this should be fine. Basically, give each client a unique
> IP Address between 172.16.1.0 and 172.16.3.0, inclusive; excepting for
> Static IP Addresses (servers).

> Yet, this setup is producing the error as indicated above.

> Any ideas?
> Thanks in advance.

Slackware Linux DHCP server giving incorrect netmask to clients.

Post by P » Fri, 10 May 2002 22:09:01

Unfortunately, we just (about 8 months ago) got everyone on the
172.16.x.x. block, so reverting back to the 192.168.x.x would be
impractical. So we won't be allowed to try that. Thanks for trying,
though!

> Ok i had the exact problem Well almost anyways...

> I know this might be a pain in the arse but try moving onto the (192.168.1.1
> Master server ip) and 192.168.1.whatever for clients) ofcourse you need to
> give the other servers a static ip but i was going through the same problem
> as in win2000 seemed to rectify and fix itself but in the 95/8/me didnt ??.

> So i just whent went wild and changed the ip ranges.
> Ohhh and also try 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask....

> I really hope this has helped ??
> let me know aye...

> XX_RydeR.

1. Dhcp problem between Linux DHCP Server & Linux client

On my network I have Linux Server
That run Red Hat 5.1
and Program DHCP-2.0 That Answer to all dhcp request .
On my Linux Client i have problem with dhcp client.
I get all configuration that i need for network setup :domain name,ip
,subnet address and etc.
I can to make ping or traceroute.
But dhcp client don't set my domain name.
May be that's way i can't see linux client on network.
During the boot of client i see on server request from linux client that
doesn't contain any informaition about host name.
Normaly Win95 on its request send message like this (on network seting i
enable dns request and give the host name)
DHCP request for ip addres from net address
And send host name.
Another problem i tryed change some seting of dhcpd , but it doesn't
support restart.
Please help.
Thank you

2. Password changes....

3. DHCP Linux Client at NT-DHCP Server

4. USB support does not compile with 2.5.1

5. Setting up a linux dhcp client with a win98 dhcp server??

6. mail configuration

7. Win NT DHCP server & Linux dhcp client.

8. aix 5L

9. Mac DHCP client + Linux bootpgw + NT DHCP server

10. linux dhcp client clears NT dhcp server

11. Linux ppp server, remote IP given by DHCP server?

12. dns update from dhcp server ok for windows clients, not ok for linux (dhclient) clients

13. prob: dhcp client doesnt set ip-adr / netmask