Linux NFS setup - HOW?

Post by Leland E. Vandervo » Tue, 15 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hello!

I am trying to setup one of my Linux machines as an NFS server, but can't find
any documentation on how to configure rpc.nfsd.  I want to set up directories
which are accessible from both the 2nd linux box and the Dos/Windows box.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Leland                          #include <standard-disclaimer>

http://lvande.us.net/           ((10/3)*10) != 10 .. (ahem...)
GMUGCSd?(-d+)-p+c+++(c++++)l++e*(e-)m++(m*)s--/--n---
h++f?g+w+t+++r--y?
PGP Public Key ID: DF1A8BFD available from a keyserver near you

Linux NFS setup - HOW?

Post by seog » Tue, 15 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>Hello!

>I am trying to setup one of my Linux machines as an NFS server, but can't
find
>any documentation on how to configure rpc.nfsd.  I want to set up directories
>which are accessible from both the 2nd linux box and the Dos/Windows box.
>Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

>Thanks

>Leland                          #include <standard-disclaimer>

>http://lvande.us.net/           ((10/3)*10) != 10 .. (ahem...)
>     ==================================================
>GMUGCSd?(-d+)-p+c+++(c++++)l++e*(e-)m++(m*)s--/--n---
>h++f?g+w+t+++r--y?
>     ==================================================
>PGP Public Key ID: DF1A8BFD available from a keyserver near you

Your /etc/exports file should contain  exported file systems and machines
allowed to access your NFS server.
Edit /etc/exports file like this.
Let's assume that your linux NFS server name is 'nayoung' and NFS client
machines's names are totaloa,mcrc2.

nayoung# cat /etc/exports

/      totaloa(rw)
/home  mcrc2(rw)

nayoung#

First line above, indicates that My exported file system is '/' and
machine allowed to access '/' on your NFS server is 'totaloa' and permissions
are read/write'(rw). Second line is same. and REBOOT your linux.

Then, Of course, you should mount on your client machine(here,'totaloa' and
'mcrc2') like this.

totaloa# mount nayoung:/ /home/na
And
mcrc2# mount nayoung:/home /home/na

Make sure that nayoung,totaloa,mcrc2  have DNS entries on your network
and Your linux kernel is compiled with NFS enable.

I hope that this would any help to you.

Linux NFS setup - HOW?

Post by M. Ell » Wed, 16 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: Hello!

: I am trying to setup one of my Linux machines as an NFS server, but can't find
: any documentation on how to configure rpc.nfsd.  I want to set up directories
: which are accessible from both the 2nd linux box and the Dos/Windows box.
: Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

The NIS-Howto is good reading. If that's all your going to do it should be
relativly simple.

: Thanks

: Leland                                #include <standard-disclaimer>

: http://lvande.us.net/           ((10/3)*10) != 10 .. (ahem...)
:      ==================================================
: GMUGCSd?(-d+)-p+c+++(c++++)l++e*(e-)m++(m*)s--/--n---
: h++f?g+w+t+++r--y?
:      ==================================================
: PGP Public Key ID: DF1A8BFD available from a keyserver near you

--

Marty Ellis, Ellis Energy Consulting           Wendy Ellis, Ellis Elegance
Demand Side Management                         Discount Wedding/Bridal Shoes

Linux NFS setup - HOW?

Post by Nick Potka » Wed, 16 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> : I am trying to setup one of my Linux machines as an NFS server, but can't find
> : any documentation on how to configure rpc.nfsd.  I want to set up directories
> : which are accessible from both the 2nd linux box and the Dos/Windows box.
> : Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

well if its just 1 other linux box and pc mounting off a linux box, do
the following:

on the linux box which is your nfs server edit /etc/export and
add what directories you desire.  on the other linux box edit /etc/fstab
so it will mount the desired directories from your nfs server when booted.

if this network is only a few machines, i wouldnt bother running amd.

Linux NFS setup - HOW?

Post by Joe Slo » Sat, 26 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>: Hello!

>: I am trying to setup one of my Linux machines as an NFS server, but can't find
>: any documentation on how to configure rpc.nfsd.  I want to set up directories
>: which are accessible from both the 2nd linux box and the Dos/Windows box.
>: Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

>The NIS-Howto is good reading. If that's all your going to do it should be
>relativly simple.

The NIS-Howto may indeed be good reading, but it will hardly speak to
this gentleman's question about nfs!

I suggest a good sys admin book like the Nemeth-Snyder-Seebasss book
or the Frisch book by O'reilly, or the Linux books from O'Reilly,
or the fine works of the LDP, available at no charge on sunsite & tsx-11.

--
 Joe Sloan                 |    http://dostoevsky.ucr.edu

 Upgrade to Linux95!       |    University of California
~

1. Linux NFS setup...

Hi guru's

I am new for to setup NFS on linux,  i want to  to know that main
requirements to start NFS on server as well as on client side.

Which packages are require to intalled on Linux , which damons should be
run, and with which command etc.

Waiting for  reply.

Thansk in advance

2. KFC 15" specs?

3. SCO NFS cli, VMS NFS serv setup prob

4. Monitoring system resources

5. Setup RedHat Linux via NFS Over the Internet?

6. SA_NODEFER on hpux?

7. Setup Linux from NFS

8. RIP Version 2 on solaris?

9. NFS setup for Linux and SGI?

10. NFS server for linux setup

11. (PC)NFS Setup -- XFS(DOS) -> Linux

12. How do I setup linux as a NFS server?

13. Which doc to read to setup my linux throught NFS