cannot find interface ppp0

Post by Chicken love » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 00:36:43

I have been trying unsucessfully to get Mandrake 7.1 to connect up to my ISP
and have been at for about 2 weeks, I'm no idiot either and have been ussing
Linux on and off since the days of floppy disk installs. Ok here's the
story; I installed Linux and it ran perfectly first time, great! I played
around for a while then decided to setup my internet connection, five
minutes later I realised I had a damn winmodem in my Toshiba laptop, an hour
later and I found a linux "driver" for my Lucent winmodem and could now dial
out on /dev/modem which is really /dev/ttyS14 but the actual serial port is
COM2 (/dev/ttyS1) under Windows, with me still? Well after an while at
trying to confiure my login script in KPPP I gave up for a while. Next I
tried just logging in to my ISP uder a shell account and worked perfectly
leading me to belive that my LT winmodem is fully functionally under this
distro of Linux. After a while I finally get my connection script finished
but my connection still dies constantly, not only that but my computer
freezes about a minute after PPPD unexpectedly dies and shows me nothing
other than "connected ppp0 <--> ttyS14". I decided to run KPPP in a terminal
and when I tried to connect and pppd died the Konsole terminal showed
"cannot find interface: ppp0".
Well that's my story hope you can help

thanks,
 William

cannot find interface ppp0

Post by Pete » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 07:51:08

Quote:> I have been trying unsucessfully to get Mandrake 7.1 to connect up to
my ISP
> and have been at for about 2 weeks, I'm no idiot either and have been
ussing
> Linux on and off since the days of floppy disk installs. Ok here's the
> story; I installed Linux and it ran perfectly first time, great! I
played
> around for a while then decided to setup my internet connection, five
> minutes later I realised I had a damn winmodem in my Toshiba laptop,
an hour
> later and I found a linux "driver" for my Lucent winmodem and could
now dial
> out on /dev/modem which is really /dev/ttyS14 but the actual serial
port is
> COM2 (/dev/ttyS1) under Windows, with me still? Well after an while at
> trying to confiure my login script in KPPP I gave up for a while.
Next I
> tried just logging in to my ISP uder a shell account and worked
perfectly
> leading me to belive that my LT winmodem is fully functionally under
this
> distro of Linux. After a while I finally get my connection script
finished
> but my connection still dies constantly, not only that but my computer
> freezes about a minute after PPPD unexpectedly dies and shows me
nothing
> other than "connected ppp0 <--> ttyS14". I decided to run KPPP in a
terminal
> and when I tried to connect and pppd died the Konsole terminal showed
> "cannot find interface: ppp0".
> Well that's my story hope you can help

> thanks,
>  William

Sounds like an authentication problem. You say you can login ok from a
shell so I'm wondering if you've set KPPP to use PAP/CHAP when it's not
wanted and this is causing the problem. The other thing it could be:
you haven't mentioned if you've got an ethernet card in it? If this is
set up slightly incorrectly it can cause probs.

If you run KPPP from a terminal you always get that error on a
disconnect, even if it's legit. You could try opening the KPPP log
window -this might show you what exactly is happening.

Pete

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

cannot find interface ppp0

Post by Steve Co » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 09:06:50

<BIG SNIP>

Hi,

Have you tries configuring pppd directly (bypassing kppp)? Use linuxconf
and configure ppp that way (start connection with "ifup ppp0").
When you are connecting, open up another console and type

tail -f /var/log/messages

to follow the connection (assuming RH style logs). remember not to
have a default route pre-configured for the ppp0  interface - let the
ppp scripts configure that for you.

Good luck

Steve

cannot find interface ppp0

Post by Steve Co » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 09:35:26

<SNIP>

Just found this while I was looking for something else -
it's the new 'beta' version of the pppd HOWTO

http://www.linuxports.com/howto/ppp/

cannot find interface ppp0

Post by Clifford Kit » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 10:39:56

> I have been trying unsucessfully to get Mandrake 7.1 to connect
> up to my ISP and have been at for about 2 weeks, I'm no idiot
> either and have been ussing Linux on and off since the days of
> floppy disk installs.
> Ok here's the story; I installed Linux and it ran perfectly first
> time, great! I played around for a while then decided to setup my
> internet connection, five minutes later I realised I had a damn
> winmodem in my Toshiba laptop, an hour later and I found a linux
> "driver" for my Lucent winmodem and could now dial out on /dev/modem
> which is really /dev/ttyS14 but the actual serial port is COM2
> (/dev/ttyS1) under Windows, with me still?
> Well after an while at trying to confiure my login script in KPPP
> I gave up for a while. Next I tried just logging in to my ISP uder
> a shell account and worked perfectly leading me to belive that my
> LT winmodem is fully functionally under this distro of Linux.

There's a world of difference between logging into a shell account
with a direct connection via Telco lines and getting the PPP physical
and link layers to transfer packets with networking protocols without
any problems.  I don't know whether the driver for your "modem" is the
problem but it certainly is a prime suspect.

Quote:> After a while I finally get my connection script finished but my
> connection still dies constantly, not only that but my computer

Add the chat -v and pppd debug options and look at the logs to see
whether the chat and PPP negotiations show anything that might cause
a problem.  Post exact copies of the messages, including timestamps,
to the group for opinions.

Quote:> freezes about a minute after PPPD unexpectedly dies and shows me
> nothing other than "connected ppp0 <--> ttyS14". I decided to run

Can you define "computer freezes" in a little more detail, i.e, do
you have to reboot to get things going again, or what?  If Linux
really freezes then the "modem" driver would be high on the list
of candidates for causing that.  It certainly doesn't ever happen
with using chat and pppd with real modems.

Quote:> KPPP in a terminal and when I tried to connect and pppd died the
> Konsole terminal showed "cannot find interface: ppp0".

A grep of the latest pppd source found no source file with "cannot
find" so this must come from kppp or elsewhere.  Kppp is a frontend
to pppd and there are too many such frontends to waste time trying
to understand how all of them use pppd and/or chat or what their
messages really mean.

Quote:> Well that's my story hope you can help

I'd say the best thing you could do for yourself is to get a real modem.

--

/* All the world's a net!  And all the data in it merely packets
   come to store-and-forward in the queues a while and then are

cannot find interface ppp0

Try putting "noauth" in PPP arguments box, worked for me ...

--
Regards
Graeme Woollett

Ph 64-4-569-0193 Fax 64-4-569-0194

cannot find interface ppp0

Post by Clifford Kit » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 23:15:35

>> Well after an while at trying to confiure my login script in KPPP
>> I gave up for a while. Next I tried just logging in to my ISP uder
>> a shell account and worked perfectly leading me to belive that my
>> LT winmodem is fully functionally under this distro of Linux.
> There's a world of difference between logging into a shell account
> with a direct connection via Telco lines and getting the PPP physical
> and link layers to transfer packets with networking protocols without
> any problems.  I don't know whether the driver for your "modem" is the
> problem but it certainly is a prime suspect.

There has since been another post on comp.protocols.ppp about the
system freezing with this same modem.

--

/* In my book, the first poster to resort to personal abuse in a Usenet
   debate loses by default.  -  Rod Smith */

1. error: cannot find ppp0 interface

My system has a NIC (eth0) for home networking with fixed ip 192.168.1.1.
When I try to dial up to my ISP the system does not obtain the ip that my
ISP assigns dynamically. ifconfig shows that ppp0 has the ip 192.168.1.1. I
tried a couple of things with no success. Any idea what's wrong? I also get
an error message "cannot find ppp0 interface"!

Shahriar Mokhtari

2. SUSE 6.3 ftp sites????

3. pppd: Couldn′t find interface ppp0

4. help!help!about process on solaris.

5. Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device

6. Adding additional std serial port

7. Can't find interface ppp0: no such device

8. users account and groups: one programmer?

9. Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device

10. couldn't find interface ppp0: no such device

11. Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device

12. kppp cannot find ppp0

13. find without the "find: cannot read dir /usr/lost+found: Permission denied"