PROBLEM: Telnet replies tcp/telnet unknown service

PROBLEM: Telnet replies tcp/telnet unknown service

Post by Nick Pouli » Wed, 18 Oct 1995 04:00:00

HIHIHI!

        Before 2 days I was a happy man, running linux and connecting my
        2 PC's thru TCP/IP and 2 ETHERWORKS 3 cards. I also managed to connect
        a terminal server (DEC Decserver 700) on TCP/IP together so anyone can                  use
it's VT420 to enjoy Linuxes.

        When I run a civilization game for Networked X I found that nobody
        could telnet to one of the machines.

        Syslogd now does not load, and telnet says tcp/telnet unknown service.
        I Suspect a lockout situation here. How can I restore it?

1. HELP: telnet: tcp/telnet: unknown service

For some unknown reason, I can not telnet to any remote
sites on my Linux workstation any longer.
The error message is
telnet: tcp/telnet: unknown service

I had checked /etc/services and the line
telnet  23/tcp  is not commented out.
I also checked /etc/inetd.conf and this line
telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd
is is not commented out.

In this case, why can't I telnet to the remote machine unless I switch
to be root?

The OS running is Red Hat Linux Release 6.1.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Best regards,
  Lepidus.

--

2. Backing up /proc ?

3. tcp/telnet: Unknown service

4. Why is Windows trying to hide things from me?

5. telnet/tcp: unknown service

6. Load-sharing using routing instead of EQL?

7. tcp/telnet: unknown service ???

8. Apache problem

9. Error message: tcp/telnet:unknown service

10. hide telnet service informaiton from telnet client

11. telnet 0 vs telnet `hostname` vs telnet 127.0.0.1

12. Telnet service on different TCP/IP port?

13. tcp/telnet no such service