NE2000 Clone Help!!!!

Post by XY » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

     I bought one of the NE2000 clones and its hooked up to the school network.
Everything is fine under Win95 (0x300 irq=10).  But when I try installing linux
with the network option, it hangs at the bootdisk when the line CSLIP comes up.
The light on the card flashes when the computer is turned on, but when CSLIP
comes out the computer hangs and the light stays lit...  Anyone out there with
a similar card please help!!!  Also if I change to a 3COM card will the problem go away?  or is it something else??

NE2000 Clone Help!!!!

Post by Paul Gortmak » Sun, 11 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>     I bought one of the NE2000 clones and its hooked up to the school network.
>Everything is fine under Win95 (0x300 irq=10).  But when I try installing linux
>with the network option, it hangs at the bootdisk when the line CSLIP comes up.
>The light on the card flashes when the computer is turned on, but when CSLIP
>comes out the computer hangs and the light stays lit...  Anyone out there with

It may be one of the SCSI or CD-ROM drivers in those generic pre-built
kernels that is probing into the ne2k and upsetting it. Do the boot
messages report that the ne2k card was found? Try using a boot argument
of "reserve=0x300,0x20 ether=0,0x300,eth0" which should block all other
probes except the ether probes. Moving the card off of 0x300 to a safer
address (0x340 perhaps?) couldn't hurt either.

Paul.

1. NE2000 Clone Help

        I have a working NE2000 clone that I need to use with Linux.  The problem
is that it is set to a conflicting IRQ and I do not have the original
config utility.  Obviously it is software driven, so I am in a bit of a
Jam.

        The major marking on the largest chip on the card says UMC (No, not SMC).
There must exist some sort of generic config software for a blanket of
Ne2000 clones.  However, I have had no luck finding one.

        Any and all help would be appreciated....

2. Proposal: A FAQ for these Newsgroups

3. ne2000 clone help?

4. Assembler for Linux

5. PCI NE2000 Clone - Help!

6. Problem printing "*" and "?" in sh. HELP!

7. help installing ne2000 clone network card on red hat 6.0

8. Novell connection

9. help for NE2000 poor clones

10. HELP: Sound Blaster 16 PnP KILLS NE2000 Clone!

11. NE2000 clone problem, help?

12. Help me with ne2000 clone!!!!

13. HELP: Sound Blaster 16 PnP KILLS NE2000 Clone