ppp0 on startup and default route

Post by Nathanie » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 11:29:00

I use pppd with the pppoe.so plugin to connect to my ADSL.  I am setting
up a network with my linux box as a router for this connection and I am
having trouble getting ppp0 to start automatically on bootup as the
default route.  I have IP masquerading working fine.  I cannot figure out
how to get my pppd to run on bootup does anyone know how?  Secondly my
ethernet card (the one connected to the network, not the one connected to
the ADSL modem) is taking the default route on bootup which prevents my
pppd from doing so when it connects.  How can I fix this?  I even have
"DEFROUTE='no'" entry in my /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
file.  (Eth0 is the one on the LAN.)

Post by Kevin Sal » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 16:17:09

> I use pppd with the pppoe.so plugin to connect to my ADSL.  I am setting
> up a network with my linux box as a router for this connection and I am
> having trouble getting ppp0 to start automatically on bootup as the
> default route.  I have IP masquerading working fine.  I cannot figure out
> how to get my pppd to run on bootup does anyone know how?  Secondly my
> ethernet card (the one connected to the network, not the one connected to
> the ADSL modem) is taking the default route on bootup which prevents my
> pppd from doing so when it connects.  How can I fix this?  I even have
> "DEFROUTE='no'" entry in my /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
> file.  (Eth0 is the one on the LAN.)

1) Put the startup instructions for pptp/pppd into rc.local. Mine works
without a problem.

2) I ended up taking the easy wy out and assigning eth1 to the internal
network, and giving eth0 to pppd. Never had any problems since.

-------------------- Odirent, dum metuent --------------------

Please remove all references to spam in my reply-to address if
                you are sending a personal mail

ppp0 on startup and default route

Post by Nathanie » Sat, 06 Jul 2002 01:19:05

Even if I give eth0 to pppd would it work?  It seems that I need the IP
address of the pppd connection as the default, not the NIC address.

Post by Bill Unr » Sat, 06 Jul 2002 01:28:02

]I use pppd with the pppoe.so plugin to connect to my ADSL.  I am setting
]up a network with my linux box as a router for this connection and I am
]having trouble getting ppp0 to start automatically on bootup as the
]default route.  I have IP masquerading working fine.  I cannot figure out
]how to get my pppd to run on bootup does anyone know how?  Secondly my
]ethernet card (the one connected to the network, not the one connected to
]the ADSL modem) is taking the default route on bootup which prevents my
]pppd from doing so when it connects.  How can I fix this?  I even have
]"DEFROUTE='no'" entry in my /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
?? Why would you think this would do anything?
Just remove the GATEWAY line in /etc/sysconfig/network.

(or put
route del default
at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local)

]file.  (Eth0 is the one on the LAN.)

ppp0 on startup and default route

Post by Nathanie » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 02:53:55

RH7.3 had an entry a DEFROUTE entry in the ifcfg-eth0 so i thought that
might work.  There is no GATEWAY entr in my /etc/sysconfig/network.  I
will delete the default route in rc.local (as suggested) for now but I
would like to find out how to keep eth0 from binding to the default route.