Who is the gateway in a 2PC Linux Peer-to-Peer network?

Who is the gateway in a 2PC Linux Peer-to-Peer network?

Post by Chris Davie » Thu, 17 May 2001 18:42:37

Hi all,

Searched the group and not found an answer so I hope someone can help here,
I have two PCs both RH7.1. Both have their NICs configure correctly and are
connected via a crossover ethernet cable. All I want to do is FTP from one
to the other, so far i have had limited success.

- I can ping from one to the other no problem (10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2)
- I can FTP but its broken, takes ages to set up connection and then drops
after a few files.

I have TCPDUMP running and can see A LOT of ARP requests and nameserver
requests, so I suspect this is the problem, is there are document somewhere
explaing peer to peer with linux? With Windoze I just assigned the machines
IP addresses and that was it! Simple.

Hope someone can help, thanks in advance..

Chris Davies

Who is the gateway in a 2PC Linux Peer-to-Peer network?

Post by Tommy Lacroi » Thu, 17 May 2001 20:49:23

in a 2PC LAN, not connected to WAN, there is no gateway.

One upon a time, there was a PC1 and a PC2 in the same subnet. PC2 has a
connection to the internet. If PC1 wants to send to PC2, he'll realize that
PC2 is in the same subnet (since he's got PC2's IP address). He'll then ARP
request PC2's MAC address, and PC2 will tell him. He'll send the ip packet
to the MAC of PC2. PC2 will recieve it, see in the IP header that its
directed to him, and process it in its INPUT queue. -The-End-

One upon a time, there was a PC1 and a PC2 in the same subnet. PC2 has a
connection to the internet. PC1 wants to send to REMOTE, he'll realize that
REMOTE is *NOT* in the same subnet (since he's got REMOTE's IP address).
He'll then ARP request PC2's MAC address, since he's got PC2 as a "default
gateway" in its config. PC2 will tell him. He'll send the ip packet to the
MAC of PC2. PC2 will recieve it, see in the IP header that its *NOT*
directed to him, and process it in its FORWARD queue.

Thus, you need a gateway if you are going to send IP packets outside your
LAN. And that gateway (the word says it all). So if none of your computers
is connected to more than one network, you do not need a gateway.

In a 2PC network, if you really want to put one, just put the ip address of
the peer. But its useless in most cases.

Quote:> Hi all,

> Searched the group and not found an answer so I hope someone can help
here,
> I have two PCs both RH7.1. Both have their NICs configure correctly and
are
> connected via a crossover ethernet cable. All I want to do is FTP from one
> to the other, so far i have had limited success.

> - I can ping from one to the other no problem (10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2)
> - I can FTP but its broken, takes ages to set up connection and then drops
> after a few files.

> I have TCPDUMP running and can see A LOT of ARP requests and nameserver
> requests, so I suspect this is the problem, is there are document
somewhere
> explaing peer to peer with linux? With Windoze I just assigned the
machines
> IP addresses and that was it! Simple.

> Hope someone can help, thanks in advance..

> Chris Davies

Who is the gateway in a 2PC Linux Peer-to-Peer network?

Post by Chris Davie » Thu, 17 May 2001 22:08:45

Tommy,

Thanks for your reponse, can you think of any reason why FTP would struggle
to connect but eventually do it and then drop after a few files? I know this
may seem kind of pointless but i just need to get large files off my rh7.1
laptop (work) to my home rh7.1 desktop and as I have the hardware I thought
i would give it a try!

Thanks

Chris

> in a 2PC LAN, not connected to WAN, there is no gateway.

> One upon a time, there was a PC1 and a PC2 in the same subnet. PC2 has a
> connection to the internet. If PC1 wants to send to PC2, he'll realize
that
> PC2 is in the same subnet (since he's got PC2's IP address). He'll then
ARP
> request PC2's MAC address, and PC2 will tell him. He'll send the ip packet
> to the MAC of PC2. PC2 will recieve it, see in the IP header that its
> directed to him, and process it in its INPUT queue. -The-End-

> One upon a time, there was a PC1 and a PC2 in the same subnet. PC2 has a
> connection to the internet. PC1 wants to send to REMOTE, he'll realize
that
> REMOTE is *NOT* in the same subnet (since he's got REMOTE's IP address).
> He'll then ARP request PC2's MAC address, since he's got PC2 as a "default
> gateway" in its config. PC2 will tell him. He'll send the ip packet to the
> MAC of PC2. PC2 will recieve it, see in the IP header that its *NOT*
> directed to him, and process it in its FORWARD queue.

> Thus, you need a gateway if you are going to send IP packets outside your
> LAN. And that gateway (the word says it all). So if none of your computers
> is connected to more than one network, you do not need a gateway.

> In a 2PC network, if you really want to put one, just put the ip address
of
> the peer. But its useless in most cases.

> > Hi all,

> > Searched the group and not found an answer so I hope someone can help
> here,
> > I have two PCs both RH7.1. Both have their NICs configure correctly and
> are
> > connected via a crossover ethernet cable. All I want to do is FTP from
one
> > to the other, so far i have had limited success.

> > - I can ping from one to the other no problem (10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2)
> > - I can FTP but its broken, takes ages to set up connection and then
drops
> > after a few files.

> > I have TCPDUMP running and can see A LOT of ARP requests and nameserver
> > requests, so I suspect this is the problem, is there are document
> somewhere
> > explaing peer to peer with linux? With Windoze I just assigned the
> machines
> > IP addresses and that was it! Simple.

> > Hope someone can help, thanks in advance..

> > Chris Davies

Who is the gateway in a 2PC Linux Peer-to-Peer network?

Post by David Ya » Thu, 17 May 2001 22:24:26

Sounds like you are running DNS and haven't got that set up properly.  Why do
you need a gateway?  There should be no difference to Windows in networking
terms - you plug your IP addresses in and off you go.  Check your network
setup.

> Hi all,

> Searched the group and not found an answer so I hope someone can help here,
> I have two PCs both RH7.1. Both have their NICs configure correctly and are
> connected via a crossover ethernet cable. All I want to do is FTP from one
> to the other, so far i have had limited success.

> - I can ping from one to the other no problem (10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2)
> - I can FTP but its broken, takes ages to set up connection and then drops
> after a few files.

> I have TCPDUMP running and can see A LOT of ARP requests and nameserver
> requests, so I suspect this is the problem, is there are document somewhere
> explaing peer to peer with linux? With Windoze I just assigned the machines
> IP addresses and that was it! Simple.

> Hope someone can help, thanks in advance..

> Chris Davies

Who is the gateway in a 2PC Linux Peer-to-Peer network?

Post by Chris Davie » Thu, 17 May 2001 22:28:38

Hi,

I use the machine at work and yes it has DNS entries for use there, could
that be causing the problem then? Should I just temporarily remove all
traces of them whilst doing peer to peer? Its just in /etc/resolv.conf yes?

Thanks again!

Quote:> Sounds like you are running DNS and haven't got that set up properly.  Why
do
> you need a gateway?  There should be no difference to Windows in
networking
> terms - you plug your IP addresses in and off you go.  Check your network
> setup.

Who is the gateway in a 2PC Linux Peer-to-Peer network?

Post by Dean Thompso » Thu, 17 May 2001 22:59:53

Hi Chris,

Quote:> Searched the group and not found an answer so I hope someone can help here,
> I have two PCs both RH7.1. Both have their NICs configure correctly and are
> connected via a crossover ethernet cable. All I want to do is FTP from one
> to the other, so far i have had limited success.

> - I can ping from one to the other no problem (10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2)
> - I can FTP but its broken, takes ages to set up connection and then drops
> after a few files.

The problem sounds like it is a reverse DNS problem.  In FTP, the system tries
to perform a reverse IP lookup on the incoming connection.  As a result, your
delays are the result of the system trying to find a hostname for the ip
address of 10.0.0.1 or 10.0.0.2.  You should be able to short cut this with
either establishing a /etc/hosts file or if you wanted the experience a DNS
server.

Quote:> I have TCPDUMP running and can see A LOT of ARP requests and nameserver
> requests, so I suspect this is the problem, is there are document somewhere
> explaing peer to peer with linux? With Windoze I just assigned the machines
> IP addresses and that was it! Simple.

You won't need to define a gateway in a peer 2 peer system either providing
that you have got your broadcast address set correctly and that neither system
needs to reference another network which is external to the one that you are
on at the moment.

See ya

Dean Thompson

Who is the gateway in a 2PC Linux Peer-to-Peer network?

Post by Chris Davie » Thu, 17 May 2001 23:10:47

Ah ha!! /etc/hosts! Didn't think about that one! Cheers

Thanks everyone for your help, will try it all out tonight.

Chris Davies

Quote:

Post by David Efflan » Fri, 18 May 2001 13:02:04

> I use the machine at work and yes it has DNS entries for use there, could
> that be causing the problem then? Should I just temporarily remove all
> traces of them whilst doing peer to peer? Its just in /etc/resolv.conf yes?

Yes, remove any entries from /etc/resolv.conf and put names for your local
IP's in /etc/hosts.  These do not have to be real names, in fact they
should be fake if you do not own a real domain.  They just give Linux a
second opinion about who is connecting (reverse lookup) and something for
tcpwrappers (/etc/hosts.allow hosts.deny).

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/

1. Peer-to-Peer Network of LINUX Workstations, IS IT POSSIBLE?

IS IT possible to create a PEER-TO-PEER network of Linux Boxes.
(We have 30 systems running in WinNT Domain and want to replace WinOS
with Linux on all the systems.)

And how can I create user accounts, so that any user can logon to any
machine in the lab (roaming profile under NT)? IS IT POSSIBLE in LINUX
to administer User A/c's on a SERVER instead of managing User A/C's
locally on each LINUX BOX.

Detailed help highly appreciated!!!
Thanks!

From :

Trainee Software Engineer,
Daffodil Software (P) Ltd.
<http://www.daffodilwoods.com>

2. How do I set up IPX only interface

3. Peer-to-peer network between a Linux and a DOS

4. Howto format a bunch of manpage's?

5. how do I setup a peer-to-peer network with Linux??

6. Need help with modem sharing

7. _Networking Ques.: Is "Peer-to-Peer" Networking Possible Among Multiple Linux Standalone Machines?

8. Disk Partition Management tool?

9. Linux Peer-to-Peer networking problems

10. how do I install a peer-to-peer network on Linux??

11. Peer-to-peer network: Linux + Win98

12. How can I put a linux machine on a peer-to-peer network

13. web servers and peer-to-peer networks with Linux