ppp dies on ftp "put" not on "get" AND I do have crtscts

ppp dies on ftp "put" not on "get" AND I do have crtscts

Post by Stephen Wr » Tue, 02 Apr 1996 04:00:00

In the ppp howto it says;
[begin]
  10.1.  The ftp transfers seems to die when I do a `put' operation.
  They will work correctly if I `get' a file. Why?

  Do you have the flow control enabled? Flow control is set by the pppd
  option crtscts for RTS/CTS and xonxoff for XON/XOFF. If you don't
  enable the flow control then you will probably overrun the modem's
  buffers and this will prove to be disastrous with vj header
  compression.
[end]

I have exactly this problem.
It does not occur with slip or cslip,
my /etc/ppp/options looks like this;
[begin]
lock
crtscts
mtu 576
mru 576
asyncmap 0x00000000
[end]

As you can see I explicitly set crtscts.

Also, in my rc scripts I do the following;
[begin]
/bin/stty crtscts < /dev/cua
[end]

And the modem init string contains instructions
explicitly requiring it *not* to use xon-xoff and
*to* use crtscts.

I use dip 3.3.7o and ppp version;

PPP: version 0.2.7 (4 channels) NEW_TTY_DRIVERS OPTIMIZE_FLAGS
TCP compression code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
PPP line discipline registered.

With all this, I was hoping that this FAQ would not have
to be asked, but...

Also, when I turn an all the debugging, the string "rtscts"
does not occur at all in the output stream. Case insensitive.
This seems a bit odd.
--
---
I used to think that my brain was the most wonderful organ in my body.

Then I realised who had been telling me this...