RH5.0 - 3c950B - Cable Modem - DHCP

Post by John H. Donnell » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

If anyone can help I thank you in advance.

I configured the eth0 network interface accirding to the HOWTO, which
says to select the dhcp protocol and leave everything else blank.  After
a cold boot, my 3c905B shows that an IRQ is assigned along with the
correct address, according to dmesg.  However, ifconfig shows only the
loopback.

When I run dhcpd from the command line it starts, but gives the warning:

    no interface address matches server identifier

Is there a place that has sample dhcpd.conf files for many situations.
And what about resolv.conf, hosts, etc?  A explicit, illustrative step -
by -step for DHCP and cable modems that solves _my_ problems would be
fine.

Thanks again for any comments.
--
John Donnelly

New York University
Department of Music Technology

RH5.0 - 3c950B - Cable Modem - DHCP

Post by Megavo » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Are you trying to give addresses or get a dhcp address for your
cablemodem... from what it sounds like you're trying to request an address.
So you shouldn't be using dhcpd.  You need dhcpcd... the extra c is for
client.  I thought you might have just spelled it wrong but that error
message you're giving looks like a dhcpd error :)

> If anyone can help I thank you in advance.

> I configured the eth0 network interface accirding to the HOWTO, which
> says to select the dhcp protocol and leave everything else blank.  After
> a cold boot, my 3c905B shows that an IRQ is assigned along with the
> correct address, according to dmesg.  However, ifconfig shows only the
> loopback.

> When I run dhcpd from the command line it starts, but gives the warning:

>     no interface address matches server identifier

> Is there a place that has sample dhcpd.conf files for many situations.
> And what about resolv.conf, hosts, etc?  A explicit, illustrative step -
> by -step for DHCP and cable modems that solves _my_ problems would be
> fine.

> Thanks again for any comments.
> --
> John Donnelly

> New York University
> Department of Music Technology

RH5.0 - 3c950B - Cable Modem - DHCP

Post by John H. Donnell » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Still, as the HOWTO says, after setting up eth0 interface to dhcp (no other
entries), in my case when I reboot, there is no listing of the eth0 interface
in the dmesg of ifconfig output, as it is said there should be.  When I run
dhcpcd, the whole machine locks up, it must be powered down to be rebooted.  Am
I missing something?

> Are you trying to give addresses or get a dhcp address for your
> cablemodem... from what it sounds like you're trying to request an address.
> So you shouldn't be using dhcpd.  You need dhcpcd... the extra c is for
> client.  I thought you might have just spelled it wrong but that error
> message you're giving looks like a dhcpd error :)

> > If anyone can help I thank you in advance.

> > I configured the eth0 network interface accirding to the HOWTO, which
> > says to select the dhcp protocol and leave everything else blank.  After
> > a cold boot, my 3c905B shows that an IRQ is assigned along with the
> > correct address, according to dmesg.  However, ifconfig shows only the
> > loopback.

> > When I run dhcpd from the command line it starts, but gives the warning:

> >     no interface address matches server identifier

> > Is there a place that has sample dhcpd.conf files for many situations.
> > And what about resolv.conf, hosts, etc?  A explicit, illustrative step -
> > by -step for DHCP and cable modems that solves _my_ problems would be
> > fine.

> > Thanks again for any comments.
> > --
> > John Donnelly

> > New York University
> > Department of Music Technology

--
John Donnelly

New York University
Department of Music Technology

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. mount problem

3. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

4. How can I see the CPU usage?

5. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

6. *BSD or Linux Based Computer Telephony development Products

7. dhcpcd problems, RH5.1, cable modem

8. snmpdx: receiving a pdu from outside hosts

9. RH5.2 & a Cable Modem

10. External Cable Modem and Linux RH5.1

11. RH5.2 & a Cable Modem

12. Cable Modem + Home LAN: better off with RH5.2 or RH6.0?

13. Need Help with @ Home Cable modem setup on RH5.2