NIS domain like windows domain?

Post by jef » Tue, 28 May 2002 01:32:38

Hi,

Is the filosophy of a NIS domain more or less the same as this of windows?
What are, if not, the differences?

thanks
jef

Post by Nils O. Sel?sd » Tue, 28 May 2002 15:28:55

> Hi,

> Is the filosophy of a NIS domain more or less the same as this of windows?
> What are, if not, the differences?

Almost, nis is ore insecure, and it doesnt provide single sign-on.

NIS domain like windows domain?

Post by Villy Kru » Tue, 28 May 2002 19:14:07

On Sun, 26 May 2002 18:32:38 +0200,

Quote:>Hi,

>Is the filosophy of a NIS domain more or less the same as this of windows?
>What are, if not, the differences?

It is more like the "scope" concept in NetBIOS.  The DOMAIN
concept in windows is quite a bit different from how that same
word is used in connection with DNS and NIS.  In DNS and NIS the
domain name is just a way to subdivide the name space into separate
entities, so asigning names can be delegated, both ont he servers
and administratively.  The domain concept in windows is a bit too
complicated to describe here.  Look at the samba documentation on
this subject, for example.

Villy

NIS domain like windows domain?

Post by Eric P. McC » Wed, 29 May 2002 02:00:58

Quote:> > Is the filosophy of a NIS domain more or less the same as this of windows?
> > What are, if not, the differences?
> Almost, nis is ore insecure, and it doesnt provide single sign-on.

Actually, with MD5 passwords NIS may be more secure.  Windows NT
domain authentication was susceptible to replay attacks.

--

"Last I checked, it wasn't the power cord for the Clue Generator that
was sticking up your ass." - John Novak, rasfwrj

1. NIS+ Sub-Domain client: should it be a member of the master domain AND sub-domain?

Hello,

Our NIS+ sub-domain clients are still appearing as members of the
master domain. Is this correct? I thought when the sub-domain was
created the clients on it would no longer belong to the master domain.
This means sub-domain clients can be addressed as either
'machine1.subdomain.masterdomain.ac.uk' and
'machine1.masterdomain.ac.uk' which is not what we want.

TIA,

Matt

-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Remove *'s for my real E-Mail =-=-=-=-

2. HoW to install Xprog.tgz?

3. How to have 2 component NIS+ domain emulate one component NIS domain?

4. mirroring and Windows file mount

5. More on NIS+ domain != DNS domain & Secure NFS

6. Select(2) and TCP out of band data

7. NIS domain names and DNS domain names not matching.

8. IDE controller

9. NIS using a different domain than the default domain

10. NIS domain and DNS domain

11. Must NIS+ domain = DNS domain ??

12. NIS+ domain VS. DNS domain

13. ???How An NIS+ Domain Gets Principal Information In Other Domains???