Linux -> WindowsNT Remote Access Server: Help needed!

Linux -> WindowsNT Remote Access Server: Help needed!

Post by Dmitry Elki » Sat, 25 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

        I have a problem connecting my machine running Linux at home to the NT
RAS (Remote Access Server). The situation is as follows:

        NT Server requests authentication via CHAP. Then it disconnects and
calls me back, requests authentication one more time and then the PPP
connection establishes. When I run pppd, it fails even to authenticate
for the first time. Yes, I've read the PPP-HOWTO and did exactly what
they tell there, and it still doesn't work. Under NT, as expected,
everything works OK, e.g. the physical possibility to get it to work
exists. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                                Thanks.

Post by Eric Rosenqui » Tue, 05 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> Hi,
>    I have a problem connecting my machine running Linux at home to the NT
> RAS (Remote Access Server). The situation is as follows:

>    NT Server requests authentication via CHAP. Then it disconnects and
> calls me back, requests authentication one more time and then the PPP
> connection establishes. When I run pppd, it fails even to authenticate
> for the first time. Yes, I've read the PPP-HOWTO and did exactly what
> they tell there, and it still doesn't work. Under NT, as expected,
> everything works OK, e.g. the physical possibility to get it to work
> exists. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like the NT server is configured to use both MS-CHAP80 and
callback; both are features which improve security.  Microsoft has some
special callback extensions to PPP - read the "README.cbcp" file included
with the ppp-2.2.X distribution for further info.

If you're failing to authenticate the first time around due to CHAP
problems (rather than PPP not recognizing the callback extension), it's
likely that NT is insisting on CHAP80 (you'll see "auth chap 80" rather
than "auth chap 5" in the logs).

I've managed to get CHAP80 working in ppp-2.2.x and have submitted the
changes for inclusion in a subsequent release; hopefully they'll be
available soon.  If you (or anyone else) want the changes ASAP, email me
and I'll send you the patches.  It uses DES so you need to get a particular
DES library, but all of that is explained in my README.

Eric
Eric Rosenquist, Strata Software Limited   http://www.strataware.com/

Quote: I discovered a meal between breakfast and brunch!
         -- Homer Simpson

1. <<->> x-server and backspace: help needed please <<->>

Hi all,

I'm using an XServer to connect to my Linux box from W2k. The
backspace key (and the delete key) work like the delete key. However,
when I do a SHIFT+BACKSPACE, the backspace key works like it's
supposed to. How do I fix that so that I don't have to use the SHIFT
key? It's pretty annoying especially in VIM.
Here is the command the XServer uses at login, not sure if that helps
though:
(/usr/bin/X11/xterm -fn 6x13 -sb -ls -display %IP#% -name %T% &)

Thanks a bunch,
Jim

2. NS Communicator-DOH???

3. remote connection UNIX->WindowsNT

4. RAID sub system

5. <help>Linux newbies need help with CD and soundcard<help>

6. ISDN Question

7. Apple Remote Access server and Linux PPP access?

8. printing woes

9. newbiequestion - how to access WindowsNT-Server

10. How to access WindowsNT print server

11. Need help on Starcraft via ISDN->Linux Router->IPX-Routing->Win98

12. Sharing passwords UNIX Server <-> WindowsNT clients ??

13. Linux PPP server is slower than WindowsNT 4.0 RAS server