USB ADSL connection very slow on Linux (but fast on Windows)

USB ADSL connection very slow on Linux (but fast on Windows)

Post by Xanthal » Sat, 01 Nov 2003 18:59:35

I have Red Hat 9 running very nicely on a P3 450. I have just installed the
Alcatel Speedtouch 330 USB ADSL modem and am finding that my connection is
incredibly slow. According to the speed test on adslguide.org.uk it is running
at 56k dialup speed :(

When I plug the modem into my wife's Win XP machine I get the full 576 kbit/s
speed and everything runs lovely. This is connecting to Demon Internet in the
UK.

In my messages log I get the line:

modem_run: ADSL line is up (576 kbit/s down | 288 kbit/s up)

so it looks like the modem is connecting at the right speed.

Also in the messages log I am getting hundreds of messages stating:

pppoa3[1957]: CRC error in an AAL5 frame
last message repeated 53 times

Am I right in thinking that this is the problem? It sounds like the packets are
being corrupted and having to be resent thereby causing the true throughput to
drop.

Although I am quite PC savvy I don't have much experience of Linux so I would be
grateful for any help I can get in sorting this out.

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

USB ADSL connection very slow on Linux (but fast on Windows)

Post by Walter Mautne » Mon, 03 Nov 2003 04:07:31

Quote:> pppoa3[1957]: CRC error in an AAL5 frame
> last message repeated 53 times

Happy googling :))
 to remove offending incompatible products.  Reactivate your MS software
 (3 days grace period). [2.4.22-18mdkcustom/Athlon]

USB ADSL connection very slow on Linux (but fast on Windows)

Post by Xanthal » Tue, 04 Nov 2003 17:55:06

Thanks Walter. I'll give that a try.

> > pppoa3[1957]: CRC error in an AAL5 frame
> > last message repeated 53 times

> Happy googling :))

1. Fast linux-windows connection, slow linux-linux connection??

Hi!

I have two computers: one running as server
(samba,nfs,apache,squid,leafnode,...) and router (ISDN) with Linux (SuSE
6.3) and the other one running Windows 98SE and Linux. The network
connection from windows to linux is perfect. Around 5MB via samba and a
few hundred KB to leafnode and when requesting a cached website from
squid. When running linux I got 1.5MB via NFS, about 4-8 KB via squid
(cached! website) and netscape even stalls when accessing leafnode.
I am desperate!!!! I have absolutely no idea where to problem can be...
I am thankful for every ideas, help, hints or even guesses.

Hardware of the workstation:
AMD K6-III/400
Asus P5A mainboard (ALI chipset - not recognized by linux)
Ram: 128 MB
nic: 3com 905B
grafic: elsa victory II
SB16 (not installed in linux)

Hardware of the server:
P100
Asus SP97XV (SiS chipset - recognized by linux)
Ram: 128 MB
nic: 3com 905B
grafic: Spea Mirage V7 (very old, no X installed)

Both running SuSE 6.3, kernel 2.2.13.

Thanks in advance, Martin

2. iproute2 compile errors

3. Slow Network Linux->Win98=Slow Win98->Linux=Fast

4. INSTALL: 6400/180 kernel panick

5. rcmd fast, slow, slow, slow, fast, slow, slow. Again!!

6. Dual Booting NT

7. MODEM PROBS: windows - fast, linux - slow WHY!!!

8. Q: ABIT vs ASUS vs GIGABYTE for linux

9. website built on ADSL connection: slow remote not local

10. Very slow ADSL connection

11. usb connection for ADSL moderm

12. slow LAN, fast WAN connections

13. slow LAN - fast WAN connections