Am I correct?

Post by Michael and Linda Shevlof » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 21:37:44

DSL line connected to Internet sharing device(ZOT 1400 - like a Linksys)
with Windows box and Mandrake 8.0 box.
Samba configured correctly - I am almost positive.
Internet Sharing Device is set to only allow port 80 in HTTP to my Linux
box.

From Windows i can http://Linuxbox, but I cannot ping Linuxbox.- time out,
while I also cannot
ping 192.168.10.1(Linux IP address)...therefore Network Neighbourhood cannot
see Linux box
because I am not allowing some(?) port through...

I also cannot issue mount -t - smbf \\windowsbox - which gets windowsbox not
found

Am i correct in that my firewalling (only allowing port 80 through) is
preventing Samba from working as designed?

Am I correct?

Post by Francois Labrequ » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 21:54:56

Quote:

> DSL line connected to Internet sharing device(ZOT 1400 - like a Linksys)
> with Windows box and Mandrake 8.0 box.
> Samba configured correctly - I am almost positive.
> Internet Sharing Device is set to only allow port 80 in HTTP to my Linux
> box.

> From Windows i can http://Linuxbox, but I cannot ping Linuxbox.- time out,
> while I also cannot
> ping 192.168.10.1(Linux IP address)...therefore Network Neighbourhood cannot
> see Linux box
> because I am not allowing some(?) port through...

> I also cannot issue mount -t - smbf \\windowsbox - which gets windowsbox not
> found

> Am i correct in that my firewalling (only allowing port 80 through) is
> preventing Samba from working as designed?

Yep.

You will need to allow UDP ports 137 to 139 for Samba to work and allow
ICMP echo and echo-reply to be able to ping from one machine to the
next.

--
Francois Labreque | Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a snooze
    flabreque     | button on a cat who wants breakfast.

   videotron.ca

Am I correct?

Post by John Thompso » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 03:32:38

Quote:> DSL line connected to Internet sharing device(ZOT 1400 - like a Linksys)
> with Windows box and Mandrake 8.0 box.
> Samba configured correctly - I am almost positive.
> Internet Sharing Device is set to only allow port 80 in HTTP to my Linux
> box.

> From Windows i can http://Linuxbox, but I cannot ping Linuxbox.- time out,
> while I also cannot
> ping 192.168.10.1(Linux IP address)...therefore Network Neighbourhood cannot
> see Linux box
> because I am not allowing some(?) port through...

> I also cannot issue mount -t - smbf \\windowsbox - which gets windowsbox not
> found

> Am i correct in that my firewalling (only allowing port 80 through) is
> preventing Samba from working as designed?

Yup.  Samba uses ports 137 and 139, so you'll have to open those
at least on the local interface.  If you don't intend to use
samba over the internet (not recommended anyway) you can tell
your firewall to drop requests for those ports when they come on
the external interface.

Ping probably isn't working because you've told your firewall to
drop icmp packets.

--

1. Am I in the correct newsgroup?

I've written a Server/Client application for Unix in C.
I want to run it from Netscape. This is what I need help with.
I've compiled the server program and I try to run it as a CGI-program.
When I try to execute it in Netscape it just sits there "loading".

If anyone has some kind of experience of this, I would be very happy if
I got some tips.

/Anders Eliasson

2. CD rom at sr0

3. "who am i" doesn't give correct info

4. STREAMS problem in SunOS 5.1

6. recursively kill the childs of a process

7. need help with modes in XFree86 config

9. Am I touchy? Or am I right?