Must Linux use DNS to browse www?

I am using modem to online. Is it possible not to set DNS address to online?

Post by Karl Heye » Thu, 23 May 2002 00:29:25

> I am using modem to online. Is it possible not to set DNS address to online?

well, theres a few things to note on doing this.  All internet name
translation will not work for any service, but you can still refer to
things by IP address.  By setting a web proxy by IP in say your
browser means that the actual URL gets passed to the proxy for
resolution, so you don't need the DNS in that case.

karl.

Post by Eric P. McC » Thu, 23 May 2002 02:24:10

> well, theres a few things to note on doing this.  All internet name
> translation will not work for any service, but you can still refer to
> things by IP address.

Not entirely.  Some services, like HTTP, annoyingly let the web server
set its own "visible name" which it should use when building
redirects.  This means that going to http://1.2.3.4 may redirect you
to http://somehost.com/ and name resolution will fail.

This happens, as far as I can tell with Galeon and Apache, every time
you don't end a "directory" URL with a slash:  ~emccoy versus ~emccoy/

Quote:> By setting a web proxy by IP in say your
> browser means that the actual URL gets passed to the proxy for
> resolution, so you don't need the DNS in that case.

It can, but you may need to enable an option.  It will be something
like "Let proxy server perform name resolution."  I'm not entirely
sure why you would ever want this disabled, but there you go.

--

"Last I checked, it wasn't the power cord for the Clue Generator that
was sticking up your ass." - John Novak, rasfwrj

Post by Karl Heye » Thu, 23 May 2002 04:21:40

>> well, theres a few things to note on doing this.  All internet name
>> translation will not work for any service, but you can still refer to
>> things by IP address.

> Not entirely.  Some services, like HTTP, annoyingly let the web server
> set its own "visible name" which it should use when building
> redirects.  This means that going to http://1.2.3.4 may redirect you
> to http://somehost.com/ and name resolution will fail.

True for a non proxy case.

Quote:> This happens, as far as I can tell with Galeon and Apache, every time
> you don't end a "directory" URL with a slash:  ~emccoy versus ~emccoy/

>> By setting a web proxy by IP in say your
>> browser means that the actual URL gets passed to the proxy for
>> resolution, so you don't need the DNS in that case.

> It can, but you may need to enable an option.  It will be something
> like "Let proxy server perform name resolution."  I'm not entirely
> sure why you would ever want this disabled, but there you go.

DNS is useful for many services so I agree with you there,  but I
haven't seen this option you mentioned.

karl.

Post by David Efflan » Fri, 24 May 2002 12:47:26

> I am using modem to online. Is it possible not to set DNS address to online?

Not quite sure if you are referring to a name for your IP or using DNS
servers in general to access the internet.  DNS servers are almost
essential for accessing the internet or web browsing, because there can be
multiple names for each IP or the IP that a name points to can change.
And with name based virtual hosting, the web site presented depends upon
the hostname in your browser URL.  So you may not be able to access some
sites by IP alone.

As far as using a proxy, the proxy itself needs DNS, even if you do not on
your box.

Must Linux use DNS to browse www?

Post by Nix » Tue, 28 May 2002 01:21:27

I think you mean if you have to set it manually. No, the DHCP server can
assign you an IP address as well as make several settings such as DNS
server, WINS server etc.

-Nix

> > I am using modem to online. Is it possible not to set DNS address to
online?

> Not quite sure if you are referring to a name for your IP or using DNS
> servers in general to access the internet.  DNS servers are almost
> essential for accessing the internet or web browsing, because there can be
> multiple names for each IP or the IP that a name points to can change.
> And with name based virtual hosting, the web site presented depends upon
> the hostname in your browser URL.  So you may not be able to access some
> sites by IP alone.

> As far as using a proxy, the proxy itself needs DNS, even if you do not on
> your box.

> --
> David Efflandt - All spam ignored  http://www.de-srv.com/
> http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
> http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/  http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

1. How is a GNU/Linux modem user supposed to do his offline www browsing?

How is a GNU/Linux modem user supposed to do his
offline www browsing?  [Don't tell me to use somethng that I can't see Chinese
or picutes in.]

In IE5.5 I can go to all the various
pages I might want to read [not predictable, a flurry of search items,
links, etc.; then disconnect the modem; set IE to offline-mode, and
read according to the history list.  The best I see in Netscape [4.75]
is a "communicator history" flat list, and it will warn me for each
page requested that I'm not on line.

Also some sites mark their pages to timeout, unreadable later off
line.  It seems IE, in some cases, can still read them though needing a lot of
confirmation button click, whilst Netscape didn't even cache them.
--
www.geocities.com/jidanni E-mail: restore ".com."  ?n|
Tel:+886-4-5854780; starting in year 2001: +886-4-25854780

2. XF3.3.2 & Matrox Mill. II PCI problems

3. hi,Is there any linux bbs which supprots www browse??

4. Problems with TCP/IP under Solaris

5. X server eats memory after browsing WWW with kfm

6. COMMERCIAL: BitWagon Software LLC introduces Chaperon memory access checker

7. www browsing log

8. LUGOD - Linux User Group of Davis - Meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 9

9. Help: WWW browsing in FreeBSD

10. WWW browsing problem

11. Lowdown on using Linux as gateway fo Browsing and Email

12. Browse using Microsoft file services via a Linux firewall

13. Setting up Linux as a DNS and WWW server on a LAN with INET connection