Newbie needs a nudge (modem question)

Post by Charles » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have a USRobotics 56K Internal FAXmodem (ISA).  In Windows it is IRQ 5.
None of my other hardware runs on IRQ 5 (according to Windows).  So, there
should be no conflict in Linux.

The Modem is "busy" in Linux (Corel Linux, download version).   I have read
the Modem HOWTO and the Serial HOWTO and all pertinent information provided
with the linux core.   I STILL cannot get this modem to work.  Any ideas?  I
cant afford to shell out $70 for an external modem, as much as I would like
to.

Thanks
Charles

Post by Tom East » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>I have a USRobotics 56K Internal FAXmodem (ISA).  In Windows it is IRQ 5.
>None of my other hardware runs on IRQ 5 (according to Windows).  So, there
>should be no conflict in Linux.

>The Modem is "busy" in Linux (Corel Linux, download version).   I have read
>the Modem HOWTO and the Serial HOWTO and all pertinent information provided
>with the linux core.   I STILL cannot get this modem to work.  Any ideas?  I
>cant afford to shell out $70 for an external modem, as much as I would like
>to.

Is your modem configured for PnP? If so, I recommend setting the jumpers
on the card for non-PnP operation if you're going to use it with Linux.

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here are

Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer
ICQ #60745924               \____________________________

Newbie needs a nudge (modem question)

Post by Charles » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

That got it,  thanks
Charles

> >I have a USRobotics 56K Internal FAXmodem (ISA).  In Windows it is IRQ 5.
> >None of my other hardware runs on IRQ 5 (according to Windows).  So,
there
> >should be no conflict in Linux.

> >The Modem is "busy" in Linux (Corel Linux, download version).   I have
read
> >the Modem HOWTO and the Serial HOWTO and all pertinent information
provided
> >with the linux core.   I STILL cannot get this modem to work.  Any ideas?
> >cant afford to shell out $70 for an external modem, as much as I would
like
> >to.

> Is your modem configured for PnP? If so, I recommend setting the jumpers
> on the card for non-PnP operation if you're going to use it with Linux.

> -Tom
> --
> Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here are

> Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer
> ICQ #60745924               \____________________________

1. Newbie needs a nudge in the right direction for recompiling the kernel with new drivers

I am using RH 7.3 with all the latest RPM updates from Up2Date. I want to
add Avaya Wireless LAN capability to my system. The Linux drivers from Avaya
(http://support.avaya.com) download have notes that say I need to recompile
my kernel with the new drivers provided by them. Unfortunately, as far as I
can tell, the notes assume a working knowledge of Linux sufficient to know
how to go about such an undertaking.

I am a relative newbie to Linux but willing to take the adventure. I just
need some help understanding what I am supposed to do. Could you please
point me in the right direction or explain what I need to do to recompile
the kernel with these new drivers?

Thank you!
Chip

2. Solaris 2.3 NFS-client: bad write-performance

3. PCI Modem-advice needed, newbie question.

4. Win98 Internet Connection Sharing with Linux

5. newbies & modems, modems & newbies

6. Proxy arp gives failures with MacTCP/win95 nearby

7. including kernel headers (was Re: PATCH 2.5.2.7: io.h cleanup and userspace nudge)

8. Samba Troubles

9. PATCH 2.5.2.7: io.h cleanup and userspace nudge

10. modem help needed by newbie!

11. NEWBIE needs help installing modem...

12. Very NEWbie need cable modem help

13. Newbie:Help needed - USR/3Com modem & Minicom