How do you configure PINE to connect to a POP3 server ?

How do you configure PINE to connect to a POP3 server ?

Post by Gopi Balasinga » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Is it possible to connect PINE to a POP3 server ? I have been trying
this but PINE uses
IMAP to connect to a mail folder on the remoter (POP3) server and as a
result doesn't
seem to work because a user ID and password is required to connect to
the server by
any mail program. Does PINE support POP3 ?

Thanx

Gopi

Post by Vladimir Vuks » Mon, 12 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>Is it possible to connect PINE to a POP3 server ? I have been trying
>this but PINE uses
>IMAP to connect to a mail folder on the remoter (POP3) server and as a
>result doesn't
>seem to work because a user ID and password is required to connect to
>the server by
>any mail program. Does PINE support POP3 ?

No it doesn't but there is a workaround. There is a program called
fetchmail that will fetch messages from a remote server using POP or IMAP
and transfer it to your local machine. You can than read your mail with
PINE (I have done this and it works great for me).

All you need to do is check if you have fetchmail on your system. Type

~> which fetchmail

And you should get something like this

/usr/bin/fetchmail

If so create a .fetchmailrc with the following line

poll mailserver.com protocol pop3 username youruserid password yourpass keep

then if you type

fetchmail

fetchmail will go to your mail server collect e-mail and transfer it to
your local account. You can also put fetchmail as daemon to check your
mailbox every 300 seconds with

fetchmail -d 300

VLadimir

Post by Penio Pene » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

|>Is it possible to connect PINE to a POP3 server ? I have been trying
|>this but PINE uses
|>IMAP to connect to a mail folder on the remoter (POP3) server and as a
|>result doesn't
|>seem to work because a user ID and password is required to connect to
|>the server by
|>any mail program. Does PINE support POP3 ?

| No it doesn't but there is a workaround.

Well, it does.  G)oto {pop.isp.net/pop3} will do the trick.  You can
even put it in your incoming folders' list.

It's a bit untested and broken at times, but otherwise works.

--

Post by Sitaram Chamar » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>|>Is it possible to connect PINE to a POP3 server ? I have been trying

[snip]

Quote:>Well, it does.  G)oto {pop.isp.net/pop3} will do the trick.  You can
>even put it in your incoming folders' list.

From M)ain, S)etup, C)onfig, you can change inbox-path to:
    {pop.isp.net/opp3}INBOX

Note the "INBOX" at the end...

Quote:>It's a bit untested and broken at times, but otherwise works.

Never failed for me...except that TAB (to re-check new mail within a folder)
doesnt seem to work for me.  If that's what you mean by "broken at times", I
agree.  Otherwise, maybe there's a version difference...?

Post by Penio Pene » Tue, 20 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> >It's a bit untested and broken at times, but otherwise works.

> Never failed for me...except that TAB (to re-check new mail within a folder)
> doesnt seem to work for me.  If that's what you mean by "broken at times", I
> agree.  Otherwise, maybe there's a version difference...?

When you have a typo in the password, pine core dumps on the second
attempt.

It might well be on my platform only -- SGI Irix.

--

1. Home POP3 server connect to ISP POP3 server

Hello,

I'm a newbie for Linux. I already have a masq network at home serving
internet masq and file sharing. I wanna to setup a home POP3/SMTP server
for our family members and I only got a dial-up connection to the ISP
with one single email address. Is it possible to setup several "home"
email addresses within my private network but still be able to send out
to the world through my single account in the ISP?

I have tried to look at some HOW-To and books but nothing mentions on
this directly...

Thanks in advance

Kelvin

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

2. Any medium building tool ?

3. iptables pop3 clients connecting to ext pop3 servers

4. useradd command

5. Need help configuring pop3 server on RH 7.1 server with xinetd

6. "Control Panel"

7. trouble with using pop3 servers and pine

8. glibc2 upgrade from 2.0.7 to 2.0.94 [problems]

9. pine and pop3 server

10. configuring Pine with wingate server

11. Pine 3.95 and pine.conf/pine.conf.fixed

12. RH5.1 - Configuring POP3 Server

13. Help me with configuring pop3 server (PLEASE)