NIS client on Linux with Sun NIS server.

NIS client on Linux with Sun NIS server.

Post by roo » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

Hello.

The subject pretty much says it all.  The local chapter of
IEEE has a Linux box which is on a primarily Sun net.

I have the NIS client stuff installed and can finger users
etc. Also I can ypcat the passwd database and that works
fine.  However no one can log into the system except
root.  Is the passwd file on the Sun server not
compatible with  the Linux login?  I am running
1.3.77 on the Linux box, and the Sun has the newest
version of Solaris.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Eric Mejdrich
SCSU IEEE

Post by Thorsten Kuk » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

: Hello.

: The subject pretty much says it all.  The local chapter of
: IEEE has a Linux box which is on a primarily Sun net.

: I have the NIS client stuff installed and can finger users
: etc. Also I can ypcat the passwd database and that works
: fine.  However no one can log into the system except
: root.  Is the passwd file on the Sun server not
: compatible with  the Linux login?  I am running
: 1.3.77 on the Linux box, and the Sun has the newest
: version of Solaris.

You don't wrote, which libc you use. But I think, you should
remove the '*' from the '+' line in /etc/passwd. Or you
overwrite your passwords with a asteriks.

 Thorsten

--

                http://www-vt.uni-paderborn.de/~kukuk
It's not too late to turn back from the "Gates" of Hell...

Post by Jens Krau » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

: Hello.

: The subject pretty much says it all.  The local chapter of
: IEEE has a Linux box which is on a primarily Sun net.

: I have the NIS client stuff installed and can finger users
: etc. Also I can ypcat the passwd database and that works
: fine.  However no one can log into the system except
: root.  Is the passwd file on the Sun server not
: compatible with  the Linux login?  I am running
: 1.3.77 on the Linux box, and the Sun has the newest
: version of Solaris.

You only need to edti your local (Linux) passwd and group
files (and if you want hosts too).

Add a simple '+' as the last line in these file and it will
work fine....

If you want nis instead of DNS for the address resolution,
youhav to change the order line of host.conf to:
order nis,bind,hosts

ciao Jens

: Thanks for any suggestions.

: Eric Mejdrich
: SCSU IEEE

--
Jens Krau?      | Linux,the     | If there's a god up in the skies, looking

Dieburg, Germany | Gnu Generation| to the wrold that he created.... (QUEEN)

Post by Joe Slo » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

>Hello.

>The subject pretty much says it all.  The local chapter of
>IEEE has a Linux box which is on a primarily Sun net.

>I have the NIS client stuff installed and can finger users
>etc. Also I can ypcat the passwd database and that works
>fine.  However no one can log into the system except
>root.  Is the passwd file on the Sun server not
>compatible with  the Linux login?  I am running
>1.3.77 on the Linux box, and the Sun has the newest
>version of Solaris.

Did you remember to add the magic lines at the end of
/etc/passwd and /etc/group?

+:*:0:0:::

as the last line of the passwd file, and

+:*:0:

as the last line of the group file?

--
Joe Sloan               Happily running Unix!

Post by Miquel van Smoorenbu » Sun, 19 May 1996 04:00:00

>>I have the NIS client stuff installed and can finger users
>>etc. Also I can ypcat the passwd database and that works
>>fine.  However no one can log into the system except
>>root.  Is the passwd file on the Sun server not
>>compatible with  the Linux login?  I am running
>>1.3.77 on the Linux box, and the Sun has the newest
>>version of Solaris.

>Did you remember to add the magic lines at the end of
>/etc/passwd and /etc/group?

>+:*:0:0:::

>as the last line of the passwd file, and

>+:*:0:

>as the last line of the group file?

This is probably his problem. With newer libc's, you must
*not* use the `*' in the password field, or everybodies password
will be overridden and contain a `*'. So use

+:::::::

instead (all empty fields, and no `0' !!)

A plain '+:' will do just as well.

Mike.

--
+ Miquel van Smoorenburg   + Cistron Internet Services +  Living is a     |

1. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

Hello,

I'v found some very old message about this problem in this group, but
there was no solution.

I' ve set up a NIS server on a Linux machine ( ubuntu 5.01)
following this howto
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO/index.html
http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/serveur/nis

everything seems to be ok
my sun machine is binded to ypserv on linux

inv09748 ( my linux nis server)

cao8:$1$JL6XpfxxxxxqctkdfFSycuu/:5008:5000::/home/cao8:/usr/bin/ksh

but when i try to log with cao8 => " incorrect login"

i can only log with root

loggued with root in can do :
su - cao8
and it works fine

so ... if someone can help, i will be very gracefull

(sorry for my english, i'm french)

2. Using raid on redhat 6.1

3. NIS+ : Can an HP be a NIS client to a Sun NIS+ server

4. Linux Boot Log

5. Setting up Linux NIS+ client with Sun Solaris NIS+ server.

6. Root over NFS Problem

7. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc client

8. routing problem with diald

9. Solaris NIS server and Linux NIS client : problems

10. Solaris 8 Nis+ server and RH Linux 7.3 Nis+ client ---- Problems and Questions

11. FreeBSD NIS client / Linux NIS server issues

12. linux NIS client not binding to Solaris NIS+ server

13. Linux NIS client bound to Ultrix NIS server: illegal port