Help! Red Hat 4.2 sendmail problem

Post by ARK Systems US » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I upgraded my Linux system/server a few weeks ago from 2-year old
Slackware to Red Hat 4.2. Since then sendmail has been unstable.
We have our own domain and the Linux box has automatic periodic
dial-up connections to our ISP several times a day. It has
sendmail.cf with a few lines od hand-patches derived after the old
sendmail.cf that was working for 2 years with the old system.

The symptoms are:

- Often, there are undelivered messages queued in the view of
  mailq forever
- The destination SMTP servers for those undelivered messages
  are up and new messages to the same destinations are usually
  delivered successfully while the queued messages remain
  undelivered
- The undelivered messages have asterisks "*" indicating they have
  associating sendmail processes; this may or may not be true--
  some of such messages do have sendmail, but other do not
- If I kill the associating sendmail process for such an undelivered
  message and say "sendmail -q," the message may or may not be
  devlivered
- There are a couple of message entries seen in "mailq" with
  the comment "No control file"
- If I kill the daemon sendmail process and respawn a new one,
  it may or may not help; but if I reboot the system (and restart
  all daemons), the undelivered messages are all cleaned up
  (yes, delivered).
- Random messages seem to become undelivered, no particular
  destinations. Mostly from an internal address (under our domain,
  from an SMTP client on our intra-net) to an outside address,
  but there was an incetance of intra-domain instance as well.

I am very disappointed with this and am now thinkng to revert to
the old Slackware sendmail. If this is the choice, the sendmail
program and sendmail.cf copnfiguration file are the only things
I need revert; are there anything else I need?

TIA
hiro.
--
ARK Systems USA     P.O. Box 23, Santa Clara, CA 95052-0023
http://www.arkusa.com                 Phone:+1(408)244-5358

1. problems installing the red hat 4.2 HELP!

when i try to install the red hat 4.1 , when it checks my hd to scan the
avalaible packages, the computer give a strange message , something like
"must be 1 rpm " or alike and the reboot, also printed in the screen.
anyone can help? it's a special release and i must copy the redhat directory
in the hd and then reboot and proceed with the installation...
it's driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!
thanks !!!!

2. NFS problems

3. Help: installing red hat 4.2 hard drive/zip problems

4. Mozilla and Java

5. HELP: Red Hat 4.2 kernel/ethenet problem still persists.

6. Very strange behavior with Linux masquerading and ISDN

7. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

8. yp_match problem

9. Red Hat Linux 4.2 Installation Help

10. Help installing Red Hat 4.2 on Win95 and zip disk system

11. HELP: Installing red hat 4.2

12. Help with Red Hat Linux 4.2

13. HELP!! CANT INSTALL RED HAT 4.2!!