Sympatico DSL Basic & Redhat 8

Post by Gary Dal » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:02:00

I'm trying to connect to Ontario Bell's Sympatico DSL Basic (128k ADSL
service) service from Redhat 8 but it's not working.

The DSL modem has four lights: Power, DSL, Act & Net. All but the Act
(Active?) light is on normally. According to the manual, all four lights
should be on. When I try to connect, the Net & Act lights go on and off
but I don't get a connection.

The Redhat connection manager shows the connection as active then
inactive (repeat multiple times) while it is trying to connect but it
ends up failing. If I try rebooting, the ppp1 connection fails to start.

I know the NIC is good because I was using it to connect to my LAN
during setup (this is a friend's machine). I've also tested the network
cable (extra long so I could put the DSL modem near the wall where the
telephone line enters the house).

Bell Symapatico's site barely mentions Linux, but they do claim
compatibility with Win95 on and Mac OS 8.1 and up. On Windows they use
Access Manager to do the PPPoE connection. From my own experience, I
know that the software is rather tempermental (when I tried their high
speed service many moons ago, I had to download an earlier version of
the program to get it to work with the W2K server I was using).

Any ideas on how or if this can work?

Sympatico DSL Basic & Redhat 8

Post by Jem Berke » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:58:14

Quote:> I'm trying to connect to Ontario Bell's Sympatico DSL Basic (128k ADSL
> service) service from Redhat 8 but it's not working.

I have no clue how RedHat handles ADSL modems. What I would recommend is:

(1) Make sure your setup is OK. e.g. boot to a Windows system and see if
you can get your modem working

(2) Then boot to linux and install rp-pppoe
http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/

It was, in fact, written by a Canadian for use with his Sympatico DSL
service. I use it in Manitoba with MTS, and they were also with Sympatico
(maybe they still are).

What I'm getting at is: rp-pppoe will work for you.

--
Jem Berkes
http://www.pc-tools.net/

Sympatico DSL Basic & Redhat 8

Post by Christopher Brown » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 22:13:45

Quote:> Any ideas on how or if this can work?

Head to David Skoll's site (Roaring Penguin), download RP-PPPoE, and
run the "configure" script, which will walk you through the compile
and installation process.

His bundling of his package seems to me to be the best "configure and
install" that I have seen since the first time I saw a really rich
auto-configure process with early versions of Perl, and thought it was
really cool how the program was clearly exploring the system's
capabilities.

PPPoE is exceedingly well done, and I have been running it from the
source package for a long time now as that goes /far/ cleaner than any
of the attempts distribution makers have made to package it.
--

http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/languages.html
"As soon as  we started programming, we found to  our surprise that it

Sympatico DSL Basic & Redhat 8

Post by Bruce Towl » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 23:16:19

Quote:> The DSL modem has four lights: Power, DSL, Act & Net. All but the Act
> (Active?) light is on normally. According to the manual, all four lights
> should be on. When I try to connect, the Net & Act lights go on and off
> but I don't get a connection.

I have a Cisco modem, so this may not be appropriate.  My modem would allow
both ppp mode or bridge mode.  You need to know what mode your ISP is
setting you up with.  Mine is using bridge mode, so packets are just passed
and a computer can just DHCP an address.

I have found that my lights are not always an accurate indication of what is
going on.  Even though the lights look normal, cutting power to the modem
and then starting it back up again will kickstart it into proper operation.

Your ISP can also tell if your computer has attempted to connect.  My phone
company which is providing the dsl line can remotely test the speed to and
from your modem. You need to ask to talk to their networking people.  The
first people that I got on the phone barely new what DSL meant.  The
networking people were very nice and helpful.

Bruce

Post by Gary Dal » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 00:50:15

> I have a Cisco modem, so this may not be appropriate.  My modem would allow
> both ppp mode or bridge mode.  You need to know what mode your ISP is
> setting you up with.  Mine is using bridge mode, so packets are just passed
> and a computer can just DHCP an address.

> I have found that my lights are not always an accurate indication of what is
> going on.  Even though the lights look normal, cutting power to the modem
> and then starting it back up again will kickstart it into proper operation.

> Your ISP can also tell if your computer has attempted to connect.  My phone
> company which is providing the dsl line can remotely test the speed to and
> from your modem. You need to ask to talk to their networking people.  The
> first people that I got on the phone barely new what DSL meant.  The
> networking people were very nice and helpful.

> Bruce

Unfortunately, Sympatico charges for their support even during installation
so I can't call them to find out if I'm getting through. I did try
(among other
things) powering down the modem and restarting it. That didn't help. I
believe
that Sympatico uses PPP mode because they require Access Manager to
establish
a connection.

Post by Gary Dal » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 00:59:22

>>I'm trying to connect to Ontario Bell's Sympatico DSL Basic (128k ADSL
>>service) service from Redhat 8 but it's not working.

> I have no clue how RedHat handles ADSL modems. What I would recommend is:

> (1) Make sure your setup is OK. e.g. boot to a Windows system and see if
> you can get your modem working

> (2) Then boot to linux and install rp-pppoe
> http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/

> It was, in fact, written by a Canadian for use with his Sympatico DSL
> service. I use it in Manitoba with MTS, and they were also with Sympatico
> (maybe they still are).

> What I'm getting at is: rp-pppoe will work for you.

1) I'll have to drag a Windows computer over there, since the machine is
pure Linux. I can give that a try though.

2) I've just downloaded the rp-pppoe rpms for Redhat 6.2 & later. I'll
give them a try.

Thanks for the advice.

Post by Gary Dal » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 06:13:17

>>I'm trying to connect to Ontario Bell's Sympatico DSL Basic (128k ADSL
>>service) service from Redhat 8 but it's not working.

> I have no clue how RedHat handles ADSL modems. What I would recommend is:

> (1) Make sure your setup is OK. e.g. boot to a Windows system and see if
> you can get your modem working

> (2) Then boot to linux and install rp-pppoe
> http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/

> It was, in fact, written by a Canadian for use with his Sympatico DSL
> service. I use it in Manitoba with MTS, and they were also with Sympatico
> (maybe they still are).

> What I'm getting at is: rp-pppoe will work for you.

1) I tried taking a Windows 98 machine over but I couldn't get the
Sympatico software to install. It starts up a DOS process then
complained that it didn't have enough memory. No wonder people prefer Linux!

2) It turns out that Redhat is using rp-pppoe (v3.4). I tried v3.5 from
the rp site but it didn't work either.

My friend is going to try Cable instead. All that takes is a working
network connection.

Post by joseph Phili » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 07:10:21

> I'm trying to connect to Ontario Bell's Sympatico DSL Basic (128k ADSL
> service) service from Redhat 8 but it's not working.

> The DSL modem has four lights: Power, DSL, Act & Net. All but the Act
> (Active?) light is on normally. According to the manual, all four lights
> should be on. When I try to connect, the Net & Act lights go on and off
> but I don't get a connection.

> The Redhat connection manager shows the connection as active then
> inactive (repeat multiple times) while it is trying to connect but it
> ends up failing. If I try rebooting, the ppp1 connection fails to start.

> I know the NIC is good because I was using it to connect to my LAN
> during setup (this is a friend's machine). I've also tested the network
> cable (extra long so I could put the DSL modem near the wall where the
> telephone line enters the house).

> Bell Symapatico's site barely mentions Linux, but they do claim
> compatibility with Win95 on and Mac OS 8.1 and up. On Windows they use
> Access Manager to do the PPPoE connection. From my own experience, I
> know that the software is rather tempermental (when I tried their high
> speed service many moons ago, I had to download an earlier version of
> the program to get it to work with the W2K server I was using).

> Any ideas on how or if this can work?

Hardware fault checks:
1. Cable: Check if you require a "straight" wire or a "crossover" wire. I
would suggest using the original wire that the modem came with. If you
are using another wire, check that the wire is of the same type.

2. ADSL modem is powering up.

3.  The "DSL/ATM" light is steady and not blinking.

PPPOE configuration:

username: the mess they sent you.
password: the mess they specified.
serviceprovider: usually "sympatico.ca".
Ethernet device : eth0 perhaps? or eth1?

Once all this is set up, you should be able to connect to their network.

Authentication is PAP authentication, so you may want to chech the
contents of /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

try.

So sympatico charges for support now ?? The nerve! But then, they *are*
a monopoly...
Dropped Stink-pathetico a long time ago.
I'm in montreal and use istop.com, an ottawa based isp. These guys *know*
what they are doing.
.

Sympatico DSL Basic & Redhat 8

Post by Jem Berke » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:06:29

Quote:> username: the mess they sent you.

Note!! Some ISPs use a form of the username that includes the service
provider. For instance, instead of "username" I have to use

Small world, isn't it. The author of rp-pppoe posted in this newsgroup a
few hours ago.

--

Post by Clive Dov » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:28:23

>>>I'm trying to connect to Ontario Bell's Sympatico DSL Basic (128k
>>>ADSL service) service from Redhat 8 but it's not working.

>> I have no clue how RedHat handles ADSL modems. What I would recommend
>> is:

>> (1) Make sure your setup is OK. e.g. boot to a Windows system and see
>> if you can get your modem working

>> (2) Then boot to linux and install rp-pppoe
>> http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/

>> It was, in fact, written by a Canadian for use with his Sympatico DSL
>> service. I use it in Manitoba with MTS, and they were also with
>> Sympatico (maybe they still are).

>> What I'm getting at is: rp-pppoe will work for you.

> 1) I tried taking a Windows 98 machine over but I couldn't get the
> Sympatico software to install. It starts up a DOS process then
> complained that it didn't have enough memory. No wonder people prefer
> Linux!

> 2) It turns out that Redhat is using rp-pppoe (v3.4). I tried v3.5
> from the rp site but it didn't work either.

> My friend is going to try Cable instead. All that takes is a working
> network connection.

rp-pppoe is so standard for adsl that it ought to already be on your
disto's disks.  Certainly it is on Mandrake's disks.

If you already have it, it is prefereable to use the one on your disk
rather than download a different version.

As to Sympatico v. Cable.  If you are in Ontario you are probably in a
Rogers cable area.

Rogers uses plain vanilla DHCP, which is a normal part of a linux
install.

But rp-pppoe should work. It does so on many linux connections to
Sympatico.
.

Post by Luca Piredd » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 00:53:56

>>>I'm trying to connect to Ontario Bell's Sympatico DSL Basic (128k ADSL
>>>service) service from Redhat 8 but it's not working.

>> I have no clue how RedHat handles ADSL modems. What I would recommend is:

>> (1) Make sure your setup is OK. e.g. boot to a Windows system and see if
>> you can get your modem working

>> (2) Then boot to linux and install rp-pppoe
>> http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/

>> It was, in fact, written by a Canadian for use with his Sympatico DSL
>> service. I use it in Manitoba with MTS, and they were also with Sympatico
>> (maybe they still are).

>> What I'm getting at is: rp-pppoe will work for you.

> 1) I'll have to drag a Windows computer over there, since the machine is
> pure Linux. I can give that a try though.

> 2) I've just downloaded the rp-pppoe rpms for Redhat 6.2 & later. I'll
> give them a try.

> Thanks for the advice.

I was on Sympatico up to a couple of months ago.  Once you have rp-pppoe
test things out with tkpppoe.  It'll bring up a user-friendly window that
will let you connect by clicking buttons.  Once you're able to connect
manually in that manner, run adsl-configure.  It'll prompt you for all the
necessary information and set up your connection to start at boot.

Btw, I'm on cable now and it's way better.  Twice the download and 4 times
the upload bandwidth for the same price.  The only downfall is that they
filter several ports (telnet, ftp, www, ...), but ssh is open.

--
Luca Pireddu
Mirarco - Laurentian University

Sympatico DSL Basic & Redhat 8

Post by Jem Berke » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 01:56:16

Quote:> Btw, I'm on cable now and it's way better.  Twice the download and 4
> times the upload bandwidth for the same price.  The only downfall is
> that they filter several ports (telnet, ftp, www, ...), but ssh is
> open.

(OT)

Maybe the cable infrastructure is better in your area. Here in Winnipeg
cable used to outperform ADSL by quite a bit; but typical cable download
speeds have now dropped to about 80 KB/sec during the evening, while ADSL
has maintained 128 KB/sec downstream ever since it was introduced here.

--

Post by Gary Dal » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 06:43:48

>>I'm trying to connect to Ontario Bell's Sympatico DSL Basic (128k ADSL
>>service) service from Redhat 8 but it's not working.

>>The DSL modem has four lights: Power, DSL, Act & Net. All but the Act
>>(Active?) light is on normally. According to the manual, all four lights
>>should be on. When I try to connect, the Net & Act lights go on and off
>>but I don't get a connection.

>>The Redhat connection manager shows the connection as active then
>>inactive (repeat multiple times) while it is trying to connect but it
>>ends up failing. If I try rebooting, the ppp1 connection fails to start.

>>I know the NIC is good because I was using it to connect to my LAN
>>during setup (this is a friend's machine). I've also tested the network
>>cable (extra long so I could put the DSL modem near the wall where the
>>telephone line enters the house).

>>Bell Symapatico's site barely mentions Linux, but they do claim
>>compatibility with Win95 on and Mac OS 8.1 and up. On Windows they use
>>Access Manager to do the PPPoE connection. From my own experience, I
>>know that the software is rather tempermental (when I tried their high
>>speed service many moons ago, I had to download an earlier version of
>>the program to get it to work with the W2K server I was using).

>>Any ideas on how or if this can work?

> Hardware fault checks:
> 1. Cable: Check if you require a "straight" wire or a "crossover" wire. I
> would suggest using the original wire that the modem came with. If you
> are using another wire, check that the wire is of the same type.

> 2. ADSL modem is powering up.

> 3.  The "DSL/ATM" light is steady and not blinking.

> PPPOE configuration:

> username: the mess they sent you.
> password: the mess they specified.
> serviceprovider: usually "sympatico.ca".
> Ethernet device : eth0 perhaps? or eth1?

> Once all this is set up, you should be able to connect to their network.

> Authentication is PAP authentication, so you may want to chech the
> contents of /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

> try.

> So sympatico charges for support now ?? The nerve! But then, they *are*
> a monopoly...
> Dropped Stink-pathetico a long time ago.
> I'm in montreal and use istop.com, an ottawa based isp. These guys *know*
> what they are doing.
> .

I wired the cable myself and tested it in my home network. It ran fine
at 100mbps. The cable that came with the ADSL modem is way too short to
reach from the ADSL modem to the computer and the option of using a
longer telephone cable is a non-starter with ADSL.

I tried multiple versions of the user name, with and without the
provider name.

If my friend goes to Rogers, my experience is that it's faster. I tried
sympatico and never got above 70kBps. With Rogers, I've been able to get
over 200Kbps - the limiting factor is generally the site at the other end.

Not only does Sympatico charge for support, but they also charge for
excess usage (above a 2G traffic limit). Apparently they don't want you
to use the multimedia features of the Internet.