please help with uugetty

Post by Shan » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Hi! I have extern U.S.Sportster 33.6 modem on Com 2  (ttyS1)
> I want to dial in my machine, for this I use uugetty

> My /etc/inittab is:
> # Serial lines
> s1:12345:respawn:/sbin/uugetty 57600 ttyS1 vt100

> My /etc/default/uugetty.ttyS1 is:
> CLEAR = NO
> HANGUP=YES
> #DEBUG=777
> DEBUG=010
> INIT="" ATS0=1\r OK
> ALTLOCK=cua1
> ALTLINE=cua1
> #WAITFOR=RING
> #CONNECT="" ATs0=1\r CONNECT \s\A
> TIMEOUT=60

> My /etc/gettydefs is:
> #  Modem that autobauds to different speeds, terminal locked at 9600, etc:
> #       - SANE includes CS8 ISTRIP HUPCL
> #       - DON'T USE SANE or ECHO for initial config!!!!!
> #

> But after init q I see:
> INIT: Id "s1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

> What's that mean and why?

This means that this line

s1:12345:respawn:/sbin/uugetty 57600 ttyS1 vt100

is respawning to fast. It is a precautionary check so if the line respawns too
fast and can't possibly be used init will stop it for 5 mins so you can fix
the problem. Otherwise Guessing here It could lock up your machine and you
will have abigger problem to fix it.

I too am having problems setting up dialin on my linux beast but have overcome
the problem you face now.

Many things can cause this from init string for your modem to syntax etc etc.
But the best place I found to trace these is the log files in /var/adm/

Here is an part of the serial howto you might find interesting note 57600 in
your inittab.

" For the speed parameter in your /etc/inittab, you want to use the
  highest bps rate that your modem supports.  Since uugetty does not
  supports speeds of 57600 or 115200 bps, you must use the setserial
  program to set your serial port to a higher speed.  See section ``How
  do I set up my serial ports for higher speeds?'' for doing this.
  Then, use 38400 bps in your /etc/inittab."

For now I would just settle for 38400 until you get it working.

Good luck.