System requirements for a NIC?

Post by Joe Sandli » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 11:45:26

I went shopping for a couple of PCI NIC's to turn an old Pentium 60 into a
Linux router.  Several cards listed on their packaging that a system
requirement was for either a Pentium 90 or 150.  I don't get it.  Why would
a PCI network card care about slow CPU speed?

Post by cbbro.. » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 12:51:37

> I went shopping for a couple of PCI NIC's to turn an old Pentium 60
> into a Linux router.  Several cards listed on their packaging that a
> system requirement was for either a Pentium 90 or 150.  I don't get
> it.  Why would a PCI network card care about slow CPU speed?

They can't imagine you using their fancy graphics card on an old
machine, and would feel embarrassed and degraded were you to do so.
:-)
--

http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/emacs.html
Rules  of the Evil  Overlord #45.  "I will  make sure  I have  a clear

Post by Eric P. McC » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 14:52:01

> I went shopping for a couple of PCI NIC's to turn an old Pentium 60 into a
> Linux router.  Several cards listed on their packaging that a system
> requirement was for either a Pentium 90 or 150.  I don't get it.  Why would
> a PCI network card care about slow CPU speed?

Well, before a certain point the CPU can't push data around fast
enough to satisfy a fast NIC.  That point has long since been passed,
however, and a P60 should be plenty (unless you want to buy a 1Gbit
NIC or something).

When it comes to hardware, the minimum specifications almost always
say what you need to run the accompanying software.

--

"I woke up this morning and realized what the game needed: pirates,
pimps, and gay furries."  - Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka

Post by Joe Sandli » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 19:07:47

>> I went shopping for a couple of PCI NIC's to turn an old Pentium 60
>> into a Linux router.  Several cards listed on their packaging that a
>> system requirement was for either a Pentium 90 or 150.  I don't get
>> it.  Why would a PCI network card care about slow CPU speed?

> They can't imagine you using their fancy graphics card on an old
> machine, and would feel embarrassed and degraded were you to do so.
> :-)

Whew!  Sure glad I saved them the degradation and embarressment!

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 10:26:02

> I went shopping for a couple of PCI NIC's to turn an old Pentium 60 into a
> Linux router.  Several cards listed on their packaging that a system
> requirement was for either a Pentium 90 or 150.  I don't get it.  Why would
> a PCI network card care about slow CPU speed?

It has been awhile, but I believe that cardbus nics need PCI 2.1 and P60
boxes may be PCI 2.0 (something like that).  All I know is that at one
time I used a Kingston nic (tulip) on a P5-60 box, and that worked fine
until I added more RAM.  Then Win95 would only boot to safe mode (removing
added RAM did not help) and could only boot properly with nic removed.
Kingston was surprised that it worked at all.  They said it would not work
with P60, P75 and some P90s and I had to use an ISA nic.

So if it is an old box that was only available with P60-P90 processors, it
is probably best to stick with ISA.  If the box could accept P90, P100 or
P120 cpus, then it should be safe to use any PCI nic.  My tulip based nic
works fine in such a P100 box (upgraded to Evergreen Spectra400 K6-2/400).

--
David Efflandt - All spam is ignored - http://www.de-srv.com/

Post by Al Tuttl » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 15:51:36

> I went shopping for a couple of PCI NIC's to turn an old Pentium 60 into a
> Linux router.  Several cards listed on their packaging that a system
> requirement was for either a Pentium 90 or 150.  I don't get it.  Why would
> a PCI network card care about slow CPU speed?

I have a P60 with 2 3Com 905  PCI NICs installed.  I have used various
linux router software and the 3c59x drivers.  Works great.  I was able
to buy the NICs used at a local shop here for $4 each.  You ought to be
able to do the same.

-al

---- The Key is knowing how to use your neurosis. ----

Post by Karl Heye » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 21:22:54

> I went shopping for a couple of PCI NIC's to turn an old Pentium 60
> into a Linux router.  Several cards listed on their packaging that a
> system requirement was for either a Pentium 90 or 150.  I don't get
> it.  Why would a PCI network card care about slow CPU speed?

The CPU speed doesn't really effect it, it's just the marketing people
playing to windows users. CPU will dicate the BUS speed but I suspect
that will be fast enough for you.

karl.