linux ppp to NT server/PAP?

Post by schop.. » Tue, 06 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I have been able to connect to Netcom's unix server using ppp,
but I can't connect to my other ISP which is running NT servers.
In DOS(booo!) I use trumpet winsock and Password Authentication
Protocol (PAP).  I never see a login/password prompt.  I
don't know anything about PAP.  How can I get chat to
log me in?

On a related note...
I connected to Netcom in CSLIP mode and had decent speeds, but
I'm getting pretty slow connections with PPP.  How can I improve
performance (besides getting a faster modem)?

I'm currently running a 14.4 Bocamodem.  If I choose to upgrade
my modem, which is suggested?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!!

Marc

linux ppp to NT server/PAP?

Post by rsh.. » Mon, 12 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: I have been able to connect to Netcom's unix server using ppp,
: but I can't connect to my other ISP which is running NT servers.
: In DOS(booo!) I use trumpet winsock and Password Authentication
: Protocol (PAP).  I never see a login/password prompt.  I
: don't know anything about PAP.  How can I get chat to
: log me in?

   A)  NT has its own rfc defined for what pppd thinks is mschap80
   B)  pppd-2.1.2d and above solved this for me
   C)  If your NT provider has accept encrypted passwords only,
       there is a patch in the ppp-2.2.0 tree (I know its in e,
       not sure about d) and also a library for the encryption.

   Hope this helps