Two easy questions

Post by Steve Feeha » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I somehow stumbled through setting up my network connection, but I have
MANY questions...

First, where can I find the Ethernet HOW-TO so I can try to figure
things out for myself

Second, my computer uses DHCP, how can i figure out my IP address? Is
there a utility linux like ipconfig for NT?

Thanks,

Steve

Two easy questions

Post by John Wolansk » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

1. Should be in /usr/doc/HOWTO (or somewhere around there), assuming
that all the documentation was installed during setup.  If not:
www.linux.org has links to the Linux Documentaion Project where the
HOWTO is also at online.

2. You just want to find out what IP was assigned to you via DHCP?  Just
type:  ifconfig.  Or are you trying to do this in NT?  I've never used
NT, but W95 has a program called winipcfg.exe that does this.

--
-John Wolanski
        Remove the "_removethis" from my email address to reply.

Two easy questions

Post by Steve Feeha » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Sorry to ask so soon... I figured them out. Who would have guessed
"ifconfig"? What's the "f"?

Steve

> I somehow stumbled through setting up my network connection, but I have
> MANY questions...

> First, where can I find the Ethernet HOW-TO so I can try to figure
> things out for myself

> Second, my computer uses DHCP, how can i figure out my IP address? Is
> there a utility linux like ipconfig for NT?

> Thanks,

> Steve

Two easy questions

Post by Stephen R. Savitz » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Sorry to ask so soon... I figured them out. Who would have guessed
> "ifconfig"? What's the "f"?

if=InterFace.

You can also get your main IP address with "hostname -i", but ifconfig
gives you the IP address that _each_ interface responds to, if you're on
multiple networks (like Ethernet and PPP).

--
 /   Steve Savitzky   \ 1997 Pegasus Award winner: best science song--+  \

\  hacker/songwriter:   \   http://www.starport.com/suites/Starport/Filk/ /
 \_ Kids' page: MOVED ---> http://www.starport.com/places/forKids/ ______/

Two easy questions

Post by Hap » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

lololol... ooooooooo gosh this was amusing!

Quote:> I somehow stumbled through setting up my network connection, but I have
> MANY questions...

> First, where can I find the Ethernet HOW-TO so I can try to figure
> things out for myself

go to http://www.linux.org/help and check under howtos.

Quote:> Second, my computer uses DHCP, how can i figure out my IP address? Is
> there a utility linux like ipconfig for NT?

winipcfg in nt, ifconfig in linux.

Two easy questions

"free"?  I don't know!!  :-)

Post by Ronny Loke » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> lololol... ooooooooo gosh this was amusing!

> > I somehow stumbled through setting up my network connection, but I have
> > MANY questions...

> > First, where can I find the Ethernet HOW-TO so I can try to figure
> > things out for myself

> go to http://www.linux.org/help and check under howtos.

> > Second, my computer uses DHCP, how can i figure out my IP address? Is
> > there a utility linux like ipconfig for NT?

> winipcfg in nt, ifconfig in linux.

Sorry, but it's ipconfig in nt, winipcfg in win95/98, and ifconfig in
linux...

Ronny

1. two easy questions

Hi,

Here are two easy questions:

1) I dial up with dip using SLIP to a UNIX network.
   My IP address is allocated dynamically.
   How do I find out my IP address after I connect?

2) I am using xdm to log in to X. when I log in, I am given the Mwm
   by default. I would rather be put into a window with no boarder and
   start my favorite wm with the exec command, ex, exec fvwm2 or
   something. How do I do that?

Thanks,

Neil

2. APACHE GROUP ANNOUNCES THE WORLD'S MOST POPULAR WEBSERVER

3. Two Easy questions about rpms and kde

4. comp.os.linux.help

5. Two easy questions

6. 56K modem

7. Two easy scripting questions

8. Netscape BooBoo unde linux.

9. Two hopefully easy questions

10. Two easy admin questions

11. Easy Routing Question - Using two ethernet cards

12. Two (easy?) 2.4 VFS questions.

13. Two really easy (I'm sure) questions