private network vs public network

Post by mixo » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 17:24:05

Is it possible to setup a private network, such machines on it
can see machines on another network (which public)? For example,
machine 1 on private network "prin1", can ping machine 2 on pubic
network "pubn1".

private network vs public network

Post by Da Ma » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 02:06:26

Yes, they can.  In two ways;

1) a firewall between the public and private that uses address
translation or masquerading so that the private network appears as one
computer (the firewall).

2) the public computer contains a host file with the private IP
addresses of systems in the private network and routing information on
how to get to the public network.

Quote:

>Is it possible to setup a private network, such machines on it
>can see machines on another network (which public)? For example,
>machine 1 on private network "prin1", can ping machine 2 on pubic
>network "pubn1".

1. private network -VPN-private network routing

I have set up a VPN with an SSH tunnel with the following topology
192.168.0.7

------------------------
|192.168.0.1(PRIVATE)   |
|a.a.a.a(PUBLIC CLASS c)|____
------------------------    |

                        -----------------
                        | 192.168.253.2 |
                        |  ssh-ppp-vpn  |
                        |               |
                        | 192.168.253.3 |
                        -----------------

------------------------    |
B.B.B.B(public CLASS C)|____|
10.240.2.11(CLASS C)   |
------------------------

------------------------
10.240.2.2             |
------------------------

I have set the routing up such that I can ping every ip address on the
A  and B internet(public) machines and the ppp tunnel. But if I am on
either machine 10.240.2.2 or 192.168.0.7, I cannot ping from public to
oposite private or from private to private.  I have enabled IP
forwarding on both boxes.  Machine A is redhat 6.2 machine b is redhat
7 if that matters.  Any body have any idea what I should check to
enable private network to private network communication.

Todd
Todd Gruben
Daring Technologies
Austin Tx

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Installing X on Thinkpad 390 - Help needed

3. How to use fwtk on linux with dual-network (Private Network + Network class C)

4. Xircom RealPort pc card loses link

5. Public access to Cyrus-Imap server residing inside the private network

6. Colorado Jumbo & Linux

7. Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Public Domain Software

8. Guikachu 0.99.0 "Image of Me": GNOME Resource editor for PalmOS projects

9. forwarding between private and public networks

10. DHCP leases private address in public network?

11. Iptables: How do I forwarding public IPs into a router inside a private IP network?

12. Seeing school network from private network

13. Cluster Setup - private network with NFS homeareas on another Network ?