Redhat 6.0 and 3c509 problems

Post by Jim Webste » Mon, 19 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I wrestled with my networking for several hours trying to get it to work.
It would always fail at boot time trying to bring up eth0.
I could do "insmod 3c509" and and then "ifconfig eth0 up" and could
ping only myself but no other machine.
Finally after reading thru some posts here, I changed the bios to
make IRQ 5 a "ISA legacy" device.  Now it sort of works.

Still fails at boot time - just says Bringing up eth0 interface [FAILED] -
followed by nfs failures, etc.
But then if, at command line, I then do "insmod 3c509" followed by
"ifconfig eth0 200.1.1.1 up" then it starts working - I can go off
network fine.

I looked at boot messages with dmesg and see nothing about eth0.

My /etc/sysconfig/network:
NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4=no
HOSTNAME=odin
DOMAINNAME=
GATEWAY=0.0.0.0
GATEWAYDEV=eth0

My /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=200.1.1.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=200.1.1.0
BROADCAST=200.1.1.255
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
USERCTL=no

This all looks pretty normal to me.

Have looked at pretty much every file I can find but can't find anything
that looks wrong.
Did not find where the actual "insmod" is performed or how it is determined
that the bringup of eth0 failed.

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to track this down.

Thanks,
Jim Webster

1. setup 3c509 and Redhat 6.0

Hi,
    I just setup Redhat 6.0 using 3com 3c509 card. However, I can't
ping  other computers on the same network. The network card is proven
working.

    Executing ifconfig eth0, the card is UP and has irq=10 io=0x300 (
which I counter check using 3com 3link-id.exe where I boot the machine
under Dos ) .

    Please help.

Thank you in advance.

T C

2. compilation problem: QSenderObject undefined

3. RedHat 5.2 -> RedHat 6.0 Upgrade Problems

4. Raw Informix 723uc3 db backup

5. Problem "beyond the ability" of redhat support =) -- telnet and redhat 6.0

6. COM port server

7. 3c509 problem !!!!! - 3c509.txt [01/01]

8. Multivolume backup using tar to floppy..

9. Suse 6.0 or Redhat 6.0

10. help- isapnp modem problem on redhat 6.0 (irq problem)

11. RedHat 6.0 vs Macmillan Deluxe Linux 6.0

12. RedHat 4.0 3c509 problems...

13. redhat 5.0 and 3c509 (a problem)