How do I find my own ISP connection IP address?

How do I find my own ISP connection IP address?

Post by V-Rod Nuzz » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 09:47:33

Does anybody know this is done?

Thanks,

NUZ

How do I find my own ISP connection IP address?

Most likely, "ifconfig ppp0"

--
Simon Green
Logica Mobile Networks

Please read the lawyer-speak below, it costs us 50 quid a word!

How do I find my own ISP connection IP address?

Post by V-Rod Nuzz » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 10:58:00

"Device Not Found".  I am connecting to the net through a network card
through a Linksys DSL router.  I don't know if that changes anything.

NUZ

Post by Michael Meissne » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 11:42:34

> "Device Not Found".  I am connecting to the net through a network card
> through a Linksys DSL router.  I don't know if that changes anything.

Then use:

        ifconfig eth0

or more generally:

        ifconfig        # to see all network devices that are up
        ifconfig -a     # to see all network devices

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)

How do I find my own ISP connection IP address?

Post by V-Rod Nuzz » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 11:45:22

No, that gives me the LAN IP.  I am looking to get the IP of internet
connection, like if an outside machine wanted to connect to it.

NUZ

> > "Device Not Found".  I am connecting to the net through a network card
> > through a Linksys DSL router.  I don't know if that changes anything.

> Then use:

>         ifconfig eth0

> or more generally:

>         ifconfig        # to see all network devices that are up
>         ifconfig -a     # to see all network devices

> --
> Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
> PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886, USA

How do I find my own ISP connection IP address?

Post by Steve Cowle » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 12:07:30

Quote:> No, that gives me the LAN IP.  I am looking to get the IP of internet
> connection, like if an outside machine wanted to connect to it.

If your connecting through a LinkSys router, then I would think you need to
use its web interface or telnet into this device and find out what IP
address was assigned to the WAN interface.

Steve Cowles

Post by Jim Patterso » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 13:23:48

> Does anybody know this is done?

This is an essential need for anyone using Dynamic DNS, as you may know.
There are some useful tools on the dynamic DNS sites that may help. E.g.
from http://www.dyndns.org I found a link to http://checkip.dyndns.org/
that provides what you want. Visit it in your browser and it will return
your external IP address. You can write a script using lynx to visit
this site and parse the IP address out of the page it returns.

Hope this helps!
----
Jim Patterson
Ottawa, Ont
CANADA

How do I find my own ISP connection IP address?

Post by Dean Thompso » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 15:49:14

Hi!,

Quote:> Does anybody know this is done?

Visiting any site that returns the IP address you are connecting from should
solve the problem.  If you telnet or connect into any system as well from your
Linux box, you should see the IP address (proper IP address) that you are
coming from.

See ya

Dean Thompson

How do I find my own ISP connection IP address?

Post by tomp » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 21:18:20

Go into  the "Status" page on the router configuration page (using your
browser). Look for the "WAN" IP address.

Or put you computer in the "DMZ" and go to www.whatismyipaddress.com. You'll
have to disable any proxy you might be using with your browser first.

Quote:> Does anybody know this is done?

> Thanks,

> NUZ

How do I find my own ISP connection IP address?

Post by James Knot » Sun, 07 Oct 2001 04:30:53

Your address, at the time you posted the message, is 64.252.128.2.

> No, that gives me the LAN IP.  I am looking to get the IP of internet
> connection, like if an outside machine wanted to connect to it.

> NUZ

>> > "Device Not Found".  I am connecting to the net through a network
>> > card
>> > through a Linksys DSL router.  I don't know if that changes
>> > anything.

>> Then use:

>>         ifconfig eth0

>> or more generally:

>>         ifconfig        # to see all network devices that are up
>>         ifconfig -a     # to see all network devices

>> --
>> Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
>> PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886, USA

--
Please remember the September 11th victims and their families.  Make a
donation to a charity.

james.knott.