change MAC address can change IP address of a machine?

change MAC address can change IP address of a machine?

Post by apn.. » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 02:25:22

Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? IP address is
assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is based on the
MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept?

please advise. thanks!!

Post by Walter Robers » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 03:15:52

:Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine?

Of most machines, Yes.

:IP address is assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is
:based on the MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept?

It might be, it might not be, it depends on the ISP. Some ISPs know
what port number you are using in their equipment and assign the
address on that basis.

Some ISPs encrypt traffic to the modem based upon your MAC address,
so changing your MAC address might get you nothing.

The ISPs that do use MAC as a factor often register the MAC against the
account, and you might have to find the MAC of a valid subscriber
to change the IP you get. But ISPs tend to have protections against that.
--
  Many food scientists have reported chocolate to be the single most
  craved food.                               -- Northwestern University, 2001

change MAC address can change IP address of a machine?

Post by strut.. » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 03:37:57

how to change the MAC address then?

change MAC address can change IP address of a machine?

Post by Jeff Lieberman » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 03:37:23

cross posted to 4 newsgroups.  Gosh, this must be terribly important.
Rubbing my crystal ball, I deduce that you're using some Linux or
Windoze mutation.  Of course, all operating system are the same so the
following instructions should work no matter what you're using.

Here's an article that covers most of the methods.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Linux:
  /etc/init.d/networking stop
  ifconfig eth0 hw ether 11:22:33:44:55:66
  /etc/init.d/networking start

Windoze:
  http://www.nthelp.com/NT6/change_mac_w2k.htm
  http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac/

Quote:>Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? IP address is
>assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is based on the
>MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept?

Correct.  If you're a spammer and want to cover your tracks, this is a
way of forcing a change to your dynamically assigned IP address.  It
will also drive the ISP nuts, trash their log files, and possibly
mangle their RADIUS authentication (if the MAC address is used for
authentication).  If you happen to land on a MAC address that's
already in use at the ISP, traffic will stop for both machines.  Do
this often enough and you should get the ISP's attention and receive
your due rewards.

Quote:>please advise. thanks!!

Free advice.  Don't do it.
--

150 Felker St #D    http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Post by Walter Robers » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 03:59:15

|>:Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine?

|>:Of most machines, Yes.

|how to change the MAC address then?

You have cross-posted this to a variety of newsgroups, including
- one for Windows XP (which runs only on systems with the Intel Pentium
instruction set, as far as I know)
- one for wireless devices, many of which use specialized CPUs and
specialized network cards
- a linux networking newsgroup; linux runs on a quite wide variety of
devices; and
- a group devoted to the TCP and UDP protocol suite.

Considering the multitude of hardware devices implied by your choice
of newsgroups, one must presume that you are looking for some
standard TCP or UDP or ICMP packet that one can send which will
trigger the change of MAC address.

No such TCP / UDP / ICMP packet exists.

No POSIX standard socket call exists that would change MAC addresses
either.

All facilities to change MAC addresses are specific to the combination
of hardware and OS that one has.  I thus recommend that you post
to a newsgroup specific to your hardware and software, stating the
equipment you have, and soliciting information there. Or, better yet,
google for the information, as it is readily available for common
equipment + software combinations.
--
  The ordering of results sorted by date is approximate.

Post by James Knot » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 05:27:25

> Is there any way to change the MAC address of a machine? IP address is
> assigned by ISP. My understanding is that IP address is based on the
> MAC address of a machine, is that correct concept?

It is possible to change the MAC address on most NICs.  The IP address, in
IPv4, is not related to the MAC address, but in the case of DHCP, assigned
to one.  In IPv6, the MAC address forms part of the IP address.

change MAC address can change IP address of a machine?

Post by Vernon Schryv » Sun, 02 Oct 2005 06:43:18

Quote:>         In IPv6, the MAC address forms part of the IP address.

Many IPv6 address contain real 48-bit IEEE addresses, but many others
do not.  See RFC 2373 or look at some IPV6 DNS RRs.  For an example
of the latter, consider:

    % host -t aaaa dcc.dcc-servers.net
    dcc.dcc-servers.net has IPv6 address 2001:888:20ee::6277

change MAC address can change IP address of a machine?

Post by Attil » Sat, 07 Jan 2006 09:09:41

Quote:> how to change the MAC address then?

Look for SMAC 1.2

1. Changing IP address on Solaris 9 with multiple virtual IP addresses

Hi

We are running Solaris 9 and have configured the one physical NIC with
2 IP addresses allowing us to run 2 web servers and keep both on port
80. Is changing the IP address assigned to each host as simple as
changing the entries in /etc/inet/hosts or do I need to start messing
with ifconfig?

TIA

Robert

2. WANTED: emacs

3. WANTED: pingmac <IP ADDR> which returns <MAC ADDRESS of IP ADDRESS>

4. vectorizer

5. IP Masquerading with IP Address and Mac Address Restrictions

6. PNP under 2.1.x kernels

7. Changing MAC address of an IP Alias!

8. Confused about shells

9. newbie advice:changing ip address on redhat machine

10. Need help changing machines IP address

11. Where to change the IP address of my Aix machine ?

12. Changing IP address on Host Machine

13. How do I change the IP address of the machine?