Need to stop users from trace-routing

1. trace route can trace the route but socket cant connect

Hi
I had a problem with a small socket program I wrote.
I have two linux machines(rh on i386), they have two network cards each, I
ifup 'ed the second card I have in both of them(those cards have a
different IP) then I added a static route(both machines are connected to
the same switch, and I used the route add -host command) from one to
another and traced the route and tried pinging between the two machines,
here is what happened,
1. trace route from from machine1-newcard to machine2-newcard showed
   almost 300 times more delay than vice-versa.
2. ping from machine1-newcard - machine2-newcard is not happening once
   again, vice-versa is fine.

If write a small socket program between machine1-newcard and
machine2-newcard I get a socket connect error: route not found!

can anyone explain the reason for this weird behaviour?

tia
vinod

2. SSH/Keyboard/FreeBSD4.3

3. stopping "cd .." ....list all our users directories, and STOPPING SPAM!!!

4. drealmBBS now available

5. Can a process stop itself from being traced/trussed?

6. Escape codes on dtterm

7. Cannot Stop SNA trace

8. splash screen psuedo device bitmap resolution

9. Stopping users booting in single user mode (Was Re: What universities use Linux)

10. Trace route with AS number

11. Program to Trace Route of Telnet/FTP connection

12. Questions about trace route?

13. It is a astonishing circumstance about trace route....