Home networking: Masquerading trouble UPDATE

Home networking: Masquerading trouble UPDATE

Post by Ann » Wed, 18 Jul 2001 18:03:34

Sorry about the double post, but something went wrong. I post via the
groups.google.com and I can't see what I've posted and the previous
msg was not yet completed. It was not intended to double post this.

- - -

Hello

I have a small homenetwork, consisting of 3 pc's; 1 running Red Hat
linux, and the other two are running WinME. I did a clean install the
server and the networkadapters installed fine.

Adapter eth0 is connected to the outside using DHCP and eth1 is
connected to my internal network. After the clean install I could ping
to the outside and the my internal network.

I only added the following simple ipchains rules.

   ipchains -F
   ipchains -P forward DENY
   ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0

and set the Windows machines to use these settings

   IP : 192.168.1.2 (.3 for the other machine)
   Subnetmask : 255.255.255.0
   Gateway : 192.168.1.1 (server ip)
   DNS enables and is using my ISP nameservers

From windows I now can ping the server and the other window machine,
but I can't get outside. Can't ping the nameserver or anything else. I
had this same setup working before with other computers. So probably
I'm overlooking a small (read crucial :) detail.

I hope someone could help me with this cause I'm all out of clues.
Thanks in advance.

Greetings Anne

1. Home networking: Trouble masquerading

Hello

I have a small network with 3 PC; 1 Linux (Red Hat) and 2 WinME. I did
a clean install on the server and my networkcard were detected okay.

eth0 is connected to the outside and is using DHCP. eth1 is my
internal network and is using ipnr 192.168.1.1. I use all the basic
settings, and all I add are the following simple ipchains rules.

ipchains -F
ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0

From the server I can ping to the outside, I can ping my internal
network. From my window machines I can ping the server. But I can't
get outside. Can't ping the nameserver or whatever.

My windows machines use the following setting.

IP : 192.168.1.2
Subnetmask : 255.255.255.0
Gateway : 192.168.1.1 ( server ip )
DNS enabled with my ISP dns servers

I had this working before but I can't figure out why it doesnt work
now. What am I overlooking?

Hope someone can help me with this.

Greetings Anne

2. Linux, Laptop, X and TV out

3. Lost ping packets on home network with masquerading linux machine

4. tcpd and mountd

5. Newbie question - pointers to useful 'masquerading' config for home network

6. Make an Install-CD, Java 1.2 (java 2)

7. Trouble setting up home network

8. Power Center Pro help page coming together...finally :)

9. newbie: trouble activating linux pc on (MS) home network

10. Trouble with Network after Netkit update

11. Network troubles : Unable to update software in Linux VmWare image through Package Manager

12. IP Masquerading works, but does not masquerade from within the local network

13. Benefits of dual-homed firewall for home network?