Remote Mounting Question

Post by roo » Fri, 06 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have two machines, one which runs exclusively linux (LINUX) and one that
runs linux and Win95.  What I would like to be able to do is have a lot of the
files that these two machines both use (like the linux system stuff, as well
as file archives, etc.) on one machine and have the other able to access it in
a transparent manor.

So, hints, anyone?  I tried to RTFM and couldn't find one, but if you've got
one on solving this problem, just pass along the name.

Is NFS what I'm looking for?  Is there a free program to use in Win95 to
access a Linux offered nfs?

Ok, I'll look here, and you can e-mail me if that's more convenient.
-sam

Remote Mounting Question

Post by William Portno » Fri, 06 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I think Samba can help you, but I don't know anything about it.

Will Portnoy
Duke University

> I have two machines, one which runs exclusively linux (LINUX) and one that
> runs linux and Win95.  What I would like to be able to do is have a lot of the
> files that these two machines both use (like the linux system stuff, as well
> as file archives, etc.) on one machine and have the other able to access it in
> a transparent manor.

> So, hints, anyone?  I tried to RTFM and couldn't find one, but if you've got
> one on solving this problem, just pass along the name.

> Is NFS what I'm looking for?  Is there a free program to use in Win95 to
> access a Linux offered nfs?

> Ok, I'll look here, and you can e-mail me if that's more convenient.
> -sam

1. remote mount question

I want to mount mount a NFS partition (HP-remote filesystem) to my
SUN-Local-Filesystem but i have this problem:

in remote host ist all ok:
exportfs
/   -access=(rw)
/u2 -access=(rw)
/u4 -access=(rw)

in SUN:
mount -f nfs -o rw,hard remote_host:/u2  /u05
nfs mount: remote_host:: RPC: Program not registered
nfs mount: retrying: /u05

How kann i do ?

2. Running kermit during startup -- possible??

3. Mounting remote filesystems (question)

4. Video card

5. Mounting remote file systems and permissions question

6. Audio tape device (was: NEWSFLASH! Linux ported to Commodore VIC-20!!)

7. Q: local loop back mount on remote mount directory.

8. disappearing kernel?

9. mount a remote file system(NFS) using mount() call

10. Mounting local mounted cdrom on remote machine

11. A remote logging question and a general question

12. mounting remote filesystems

13. Remote File System Mount Problems