Must replace Cisco with Linux in a hurry

Must replace Cisco with Linux in a hurry

Post by Mike Raybor » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I think you have a small problem.  The RS-232 serial interface on yor Linux
box is doing Async communication.  The DSU want Sync communication (hence
the Transmit and Receive clocks).

I don't know much more than this.  Good luck.

Mike Rayborn

>In short: Can I hook a 56k DSU that seems to have a serial interface to a
>Linux box and use the Linux box as a router to replace my dead Cisco?

Must replace Cisco with Linux in a hurry

Post by Luca Filipoz » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

says...

Quote:> X-Article-Creation-Date: Fri Apr 23 17:15:07 1999 GMT

> In short: Can I hook a 56k DSU that seems to have a serial interface to a
> Linux box and use the Linux box as a router to replace my dead Cisco?

Basically, you need to buy a synchronous serial card that is supported by
Linux. You should also take a look at: http://www.etinc.com/

Also, take a look at this Linux Journal article:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/issue50/2928.html

which talks about a router card from this company:
http://www.sangoma.com/

This web page has links to a lot of serial card vendors:
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lincomhard.html

You could also look at www.blackbox.com to see if they have any "dumb"
synchronous serial cards.

--

Must replace Cisco with Linux in a hurry

Post by Kevin Kultge » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Give this a looky too.

www.linuxrouter.org

Kevin Kultgen

> says...

> > In short: Can I hook a 56k DSU that seems to have a serial interface to
> > Linux box and use the Linux box as a router to replace my dead Cisco?

> Basically, you need to buy a synchronous serial card that is supported by
> Linux. You should also take a look at: http://www.etinc.com/

> Also, take a look at this Linux Journal article:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/issue50/2928.html

> which talks about a router card from this company:
> http://www.sangoma.com/

> This web page has links to a lot of serial card vendors:
> http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lincomhard.html

> You could also look at www.blackbox.com to see if they have any "dumb"
> synchronous serial cards.

> --

Must replace Cisco with Linux in a hurry

Post by Luca Filipoz » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> says...

> > In short: Can I hook a 56k DSU that seems to have a serial interface to a
> > Linux box and use the Linux box as a router to replace my dead Cisco?

> Basically, you need to buy a synchronous serial card that is supported by
> Linux. You should also take a look at: http://www.etinc.com/

> Also, take a look at this Linux Journal article:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/issue50/2928.html

> which talks about a router card from this company:
> http://www.sangoma.com/

> This web page has links to a lot of serial card vendors:
> http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lincomhard.html

> You could also look at www.blackbox.com to see if they have any "dumb"
> synchronous serial cards.

I found more stuff.

ImageStream sell an all-in-one-box solutions (running Linux):
http://www.imagestream-is.com/

They also resell (and use) the synchronous cards from SDL Communications:
http://www.sdlcomm.com/

The RISCom/N2s is what you're after.

The pricing at ImageStream for this card is $655. ImageStream indicates
Linux support. I didn't surf the SDL Communications site for price or
support.

The price seems high to me... let me know if you find cheaper stuff.

--

Must replace Cisco with Linux in a hurry

Post by Jim Richards » Mon, 26 Apr 1999 04:00:00

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:15:07 GMT,

 brought forth the following words...:

Quote:>In short: Can I hook a 56k DSU that seems to have a serial interface to a
>Linux box and use the Linux box as a router to replace my dead Cisco?

>In longer format:

>I have a Cisco 2501 that died the other day. I need to get something running
>in a hurry. I'd love to replace it with Linux, and show the people in higher
>places in my company how cool Linux is, and how cool I am. <G>

>Anyhow, I need to connect a linux box to an Adtran DSU 5600, which is a 56k
>DSU that seems to have a serial connection. The label above the db25 port on
>it is "EIA-232", which, when I looked it up, is short for Electronics
>Industry Association, or something like that, anyway, it's equivalent to
>RS-232.

>When I look at the pinout for this DSU and compare it to the pinout for an
>external modem, everything is the same except for two pins. Those two pins
>are:

>On the DSU:
>15 Transmit Clock (SCT)
>17 Receive Clock (SCR)

>On modems:
>20 DTR
>22 Ring detect

>Do I need to make a cable that uses SCT/SCR, possibly in replacement of
>DTR/Ring? What kind of software do I need to use?

>When querying the Cisco, it says that it's setup with PPP encapsulation to
>the outside world (thru the DSU), and the serial interface that the DSU is
>connected to has no IP address. I plugged the DSU into the linux box as if it
>were a modem, and ran pppd as if there was a modem connected to that port.
>The DSU lights up a few lights for a few seconds, during which pppd is still
>a running process. Then, after those mayb 5 or 10 seconds go by, the pppd
>process is terminated and the lights on the DSU go off.

>Please, any help would be appreciated, especially if you can tell me how to
>make it all work. I looked thru all the FAQs and HowTos on
>http://www.linux-howto.com and didn't find anything relevant, but if you know
>of a faq or howto that pertains to me, please, feel free to point me at it.

You have a synchronous DSU, it is possible that there is a setting for
async mode, check the manual (if you have it.) Other than that, it's a
hardware hack, and not easy to describe in a paragraph or two.

--
Jim Richardson
        www.eskimo.com/~warlock

1. Replace Cisco Router with Linux

I have a network that is currently behind a Cisco Router that has
died. Instead of replacing it with another Cisco, I decided to replace
with a RedHat 6.2 linux installation. Since the data line is ISDN,
this was very simple, and the network is back up and running, except
for the NAT. The Cisco is using 1:1 nat, and with Linux, I am only
able to get Masquearing to work. This is fine for o+utbound traffic,
but presents a problem for my inbound.

In summary: I have a group of 16 IP's that are being translated from
the external address to it's private address.  here are the cisco
commands:

ip nat inside source static 172.16.1.17 xx.30.8.44
ip nat inside source static 172.16.1.16 xx.30.8.43
ip nat inside source static 172.16.1.233 xx.30.8.45
ip nat inside source static 172.16.1.15 xx.30.8.37
ip nat inside source static 172.16.1.10 xx.30.8.34
ip nat inside source static 172.16.1.13 xx.30.8.42
ip nat inside source static 172.16.1.103 xx.30.8.35
ip nat inside source static 172.16.1.18 xx.30.8.38
ip nat inside source static 172.16.1.12 xx.30.8.36

Can anyone provide me with the best solution for using Linux to handle
this? I need to duplicate this configuration, since there is only a
single "real-ip" connection point, which is now the linux box, but the
real-ip addresses for each of the above servers are *WIDELY* used, and
expected to be available. I do not want to put this machines on the
real-ip network.

I appreciate any and all comments. Thanks,

Ronnie

2. module to handle GIF manipulation

3. Linux replace Cisco 7xxx series?

4. Caution: Newbie Question Ahead - Eth0 doesn't load...

5. Replace Cisco router with Linux

6. TAE+ to linux

7. Linux replaces Cisco 1751

8. Most IT Experts Do Not Trust Microsoft-Report(EXCEPT For Erick Of Course)

9. Linux replaces Cisco

10. Can OpenBSD replaces a cisco router?

11. A little bit hurry, is Traxdata 12832 CD burner working with linux ?

12. When running a stable system like Linux there is no hurry to upgrade...

13. Corel hurries to fix another Linux Security hole