Yet another PPPd Routing Question!

Yet another PPPd Routing Question!

Post by Johnny Ca » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00



Another routing problem routing on my PPP server. I can hook up find to my
server and telnet to it, but I can not go beyond the server. Here are my
details, any help is greatly appreciated!

netstat -n
----------

192.168.1.2     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
ppp0
192.168.1.100   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
eth1
24.67.121.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth0
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth1
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
0.0.0.0         24.67.121.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
eth0

Thanks again!
Aaron.

 
 
 

Yet another PPPd Routing Question!

Post by David Efflan » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00



>Another routing problem routing on my PPP server. I can hook up find to my
>server and telnet to it, but I can not go beyond the server. Here are my
>details, any help is greatly appreciated!

>netstat -n
>----------

>192.168.1.2     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
>ppp0
>192.168.1.100   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
>eth1
>24.67.121.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
>eth0
>192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
>eth1
>127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
>0.0.0.0         24.67.121.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
>eth0

Maybe you forgot to enable ip_forward.  Not sure if this is in a different
path on other systems, but in RedHat or Mandrake you would need to:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Just make sure that if it is in a different path that it is the file that
just contains a 0 or 1 (older Linux had a file of the same name for
forwarding rules).

--

http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

 
 
 

Yet another PPPd Routing Question!

Post by Clifford Kit » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00



> Another routing problem routing on my PPP server. I can hook up
> find to my server and telnet to it, but I can not go beyond the
> server. Here are my details, any help is greatly appreciated!

Add the pppd proxyarp option and make sure IP forwarding is compiled
in the kernel and turned on.

--

/* A salute to Inspector Baynes, of the Surry Constabulary, the only
   police Inspector to ever best Mr. Sherlock Holmes at his own game.
   "The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge", by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. */

 
 
 

Yet another PPPd Routing Question!

Post by Johnny Ca » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Hi Clifford,

Thanks for the help...I do have proxyarp added and ip_forwarding is set on
and compiled.

more /etc/ppp/options
---------------------
asyncmap 0
netmask 255.255.255.0
lock
crtscts
proxyarp
ttyS0

more /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
----------------------------------
1

more chains (ipchains set up)
-----------

#!/bin/sh

/sbin/ipchains -F input
/sbin/ipchains -F output
/sbin/ipchains -F forward

/sbin/ipchains -A forward -v -j MASQ -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0
/sbin/ipchains -A input -v -j ACCEPT -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 192.168.1.0/24
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -v -j ACCEPT -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 192.168.1.0/24

netstat -n
----------

192.168.1.2     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
ppp0
192.168.1.100   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
eth1
24.67.121.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth0
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth1
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
0.0.0.0         24.67.121.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
eth0

More Info
---------
I have a Win2000 box networked to the linux box and I am able to route
packets to the internet...I just would have thougth PPPd would be the same.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!!!
Aaron.




>> Another routing problem routing on my PPP server. I can hook up
>> find to my server and telnet to it, but I can not go beyond the
>> server. Here are my details, any help is greatly appreciated!

>Add the pppd proxyarp option and make sure IP forwarding is compiled
>in the kernel and turned on.

 
 
 

Yet another PPPd Routing Question!

Post by Clifford Kit » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00



> Thanks for the help...I do have proxyarp added and ip_forwarding
> is set on and compiled.
> more /etc/ppp/options
> ---------------------
> asyncmap 0
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> lock
> crtscts
> proxyarp
> ttyS0
> more /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
> ----------------------------------
> 1
> more chains (ipchains set up)
> -----------
> #!/bin/sh
> /sbin/ipchains -F input
> /sbin/ipchains -F output
> /sbin/ipchains -F forward
> /sbin/ipchains -A forward -v -j MASQ -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0
> /sbin/ipchains -A input -v -j ACCEPT -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 192.168.1.0/24
> /sbin/ipchains -A forward -v -j ACCEPT -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 192.168.1.0/24
> netstat -n
> ----------
> 192.168.1.2     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
> ppp0
> 192.168.1.100   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
> eth1
> 24.67.121.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
> eth0
> 192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
> eth1
> 127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
> 0.0.0.0         24.67.121.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
> eth0
> More Info
> ---------
> I have a Win2000 box networked to the linux box and I am able to
> route packets to the internet...I just would have thougth PPPd
> would be the same.

In order to use the proxyarp option to proxy arp the PPP connection
for the LAN you may need to activate proxy arp on eth1:

echo -n 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth1/proxy_arp

If you want to get to the Internet from a dial-in box using the IP
address 192.168.0.2 that belongs to the masqueraded LAN then proxyarp
isn't the solution.  The call-in box would need an IP address on
the eth0 LAN (24.67.121.0/24) in order to utilize proxy arp to get
to the Internet.  Ah, humm..  You didn't mention masquerading or
connecting to the Internet on your first post!

Getting to the Internet from a call-in using an IP address belonging
to the masqueraded LAN will surely have to be done with masquerading
and I haven't done masquerading.  I've found that offering advice
without any experience is iffy, even if you've seriously studied the
howto and man pages - which I haven't done for IP chains/masquerading.

I can only guess that any masquerading for the PPP interface should
be done from /etc/ppp/ip-up after the interface is created by pppd.
Maybe someone will speak up and enlighten us both.

--

/* Better is the enemy of good enough. */

 
 
 

Yet another PPPd Routing Question!

Post by Johnny Ca » Wed, 12 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Clifford, thanks for all your help!!!

Just to let you know what solved it for me, I had to set up my ipchains to
include the ppp0 interface like this:

#!/bin/sh

/sbin/ipchains -F input
/sbin/ipchains -F output
/sbin/ipchains -F forward

/sbin/ipchains -A forward -v -j MASQ -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0
/sbin/ipchains -A input -v -j ACCEPT -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 192.168.1.0/24
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -v -j ACCEPT -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 192.168.1.0/24
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -i ppp0 -j MASQ

Thanks again!!!!




>> Thanks for the help...I do have proxyarp added and ip_forwarding
>> is set on and compiled.

>> more /etc/ppp/options
>> ---------------------
>> asyncmap 0
>> netmask 255.255.255.0
>> lock
>> crtscts
>> proxyarp
>> ttyS0

>> more /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
>> ----------------------------------
>> 1

>> more chains (ipchains set up)
>> -----------
>> #!/bin/sh

>> /sbin/ipchains -F input
>> /sbin/ipchains -F output
>> /sbin/ipchains -F forward

>> /sbin/ipchains -A forward -v -j MASQ -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0
>> /sbin/ipchains -A input -v -j ACCEPT -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d
>> 192.168.1.0/24 /sbin/ipchains -A forward -v -j ACCEPT -s
>> 192.168.1.0/24 -d 192.168.1.0/24

>> netstat -n
>> ----------
>> 192.168.1.2     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0      
>> 0 ppp0
>> 192.168.1.100   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0      
>> 0 eth1
>> 24.67.121.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0      
>> 0 eth0
>> 192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0      
>> 0 eth1
>> 127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0      
>> 0 lo 0.0.0.0         24.67.121.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0  
>>     0 eth0

>> More Info
>> ---------
>> I have a Win2000 box networked to the linux box and I am able to
>> route packets to the internet...I just would have thougth PPPd
>> would be the same.

>In order to use the proxyarp option to proxy arp the PPP connection
>for the LAN you may need to activate proxy arp on eth1:

>echo -n 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth1/proxy_arp

>If you want to get to the Internet from a dial-in box using the IP
>address 192.168.0.2 that belongs to the masqueraded LAN then proxyarp
>isn't the solution.  The call-in box would need an IP address on
>the eth0 LAN (24.67.121.0/24) in order to utilize proxy arp to get
>to the Internet.  Ah, humm..  You didn't mention masquerading or
>connecting to the Internet on your first post!

>Getting to the Internet from a call-in using an IP address belonging
>to the masqueraded LAN will surely have to be done with masquerading
>and I haven't done masquerading.  I've found that offering advice
>without any experience is iffy, even if you've seriously studied the
>howto and man pages - which I haven't done for IP chains/masquerading.

>I can only guess that any masquerading for the PPP interface should
>be done from /etc/ppp/ip-up after the interface is created by pppd.
>Maybe someone will speak up and enlighten us both.

 
 
 

Yet another PPPd Routing Question!

Post by thesnow.. » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00


Hello,

I have been having this same problem.  I just fixed it.  What happened
is that someone in my company assigned to a desktop computer on the LAN
the same IP address as the dial up client.  Either change the client IP
(/etc/ppp/options.ttyS?) to something or change the IP address of the
offending computer on the LAN

Just thought I would post this since I have been trying to solve this
problem for 2 weeks now!!

thesnowdog



> Hi Clifford,

> Thanks for the help...I do have proxyarp added and ip_forwarding is
set on
> and compiled.

> more /etc/ppp/options
> ---------------------
> asyncmap 0
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> lock
> crtscts
> proxyarp
> ttyS0

> more /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
> ----------------------------------
> 1

> more chains (ipchains set up)
> -----------

> #!/bin/sh

> /sbin/ipchains -F input
> /sbin/ipchains -F output
> /sbin/ipchains -F forward

> /sbin/ipchains -A forward -v -j MASQ -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0
> /sbin/ipchains -A input -v -j ACCEPT -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d
192.168.1.0/24
> /sbin/ipchains -A forward -v -j ACCEPT -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d
192.168.1.0/24

> netstat -n
> ----------

> 192.168.1.2     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0
0
> ppp0
> 192.168.1.100   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0
0
> eth1
> 24.67.121.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0
0
> eth0
> 192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0
0
> eth1
> 127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0
0 lo
> 0.0.0.0         24.67.121.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0
0
> eth0

> More Info
> ---------
> I have a Win2000 box networked to the linux box and I am able to
route
> packets to the internet...I just would have thougth PPPd would be the
same.

> Any other suggestions?

> Thanks again!!!
> Aaron.




> >> Another routing problem routing on my PPP server. I can hook up
> >> find to my server and telnet to it, but I can not go beyond the
> >> server. Here are my details, any help is greatly appreciated!

> >Add the pppd proxyarp option and make sure IP forwarding is compiled
> >in the kernel and turned on.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
 
 
 

1. yet another newbie with pppd script problem - pppd response.txt (0/1)

and i solved this once and had it working, but now it doesnt. i am
going to attach the response from /var/log/messages.

i see where i think i got over the first hurdle, by putting  '/d/c'
after CONNECT...but

it looks like after the connection it wants this ppp-compress-21

another mystery to me is that this script worked! then,  it didnt
work.
i am running RHAT 6.0 i think the kernel is "2.2.5-15". probably not,
right?

what i was working on before this stopped workeing was
1) being able to log on to the ISP as a user other than root, and
2) automating the logon.

also i am confused as to wher linuxconf fits in. i am doing this stuff
just at command prompts, shall i do it in KDE/GNOME.
so lets say i fix this in unix with the right chat script. does this
affect the pppd so that linuxconf or KDE can also use it?

thanks for being there.
sam

2. Auto-update RPMs?

3. Yet another pppd/chat question

4. Happy Birthday Casper

5. Yet another pppd question

6. Update-Problem FreeBSD 4.0

7. Yet Another IP Route setup question

8. ATI Rage 3D Pro & DVD compatiblity question

9. yet another routing question

10. Yet another..PPP question, dialin & routing...

11. pppd routing & letting users use pppd

12. Routing Problem with pppd default route option.

13. routed kills default route from pppd