using autofs 3.1.1 and NIS+ with a Solaris NFS server

using autofs 3.1.1 and NIS+ with a Solaris NFS server

Post by Zubin Sethn » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi all

I've being looking at Thorsten Kukuk's NIS+ page and he says that using
autofs 3.1.1 and NIS+ with a Solaris NFS server, crashes the NFS server.
Does this happen all the time? What about newer versions of autofs?

I would be greatful if anyone could enlighten me since I am trying to
replace my NT machine with something faster and better -> Linux, and this
means I've to got make my Linux box use all the network services in our
office that the NT client was using.

Thanks very much

Zubin

using autofs 3.1.1 and NIS+ with a Solaris NFS server

Post by Thorsten Kuk » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

: Hi all
:
: I've being looking at Thorsten Kukuk's NIS+ page and he says that using
: autofs 3.1.1 and NIS+ with a Solaris NFS server, crashes the NFS server.
: Does this happen all the time? What about newer versions of autofs?

As I wrote on the same place at my NIS+ page: This was a bug in the Solaris
NFS server, and there is a patch for it. Don't ask me, with which Solaris
versions this happens, and which patch you need. I never had this problems.
And it has nothing to do with autofs or NIS+. Some Debian developers had
the same problem before.

  Thorsten

--

                http://home.pages.de/~kukuk/
Linux is like a Vorlon.  It is incredibly powerful, gives terse,

1. Linux AMD/Autofs/NFS make Solaris2.5 NFS/NIS+ server crash, when using CSSC ...

to resume:
when we use the SCCS clone called CSSC (it it important),
on our Linux nodes using "amd" and "autofs" automounter
the solaris NIS and NFS server became non functional

detail:
on our network we had
- a big Solaris 2.5 NFS v3/v2 server, exporting many volume that are autmounted
- a Solaris NIS+ running in NIS compatibility mode,
  by the way it exports an auto.home NIS+ table
- many Solaris workstation that automount /home volumes from the servers
  according to local /etc/auto.home file, not the nis table . it also use
  a /net automount directory that contain the hosts on the networks
 and their exported volume

then we added Linux hosts (suse 6.0 and redhat 5.2) with
-amd from redhat 5.2,  or amd from Suse 5.3 for the suse nodes
 it automounts a /net directory that contain the hosts on the networks
 and their exported volume
-autofs that use the auto.master and auto.home NIS table to export.

this works most of the time, but
when I'm using the SCCS clone called CSSC
(maybe because of some lock on NFS ?)
the whole network hang on NFS volumes.

yet NIS and showmount seems OK
all mount do fail. since all is done through
automount I accuse the automounter but
maybe is it the NFS.

is this a known problem?

2. BRU - Multiple Specific Directories Backup In 1 Archive

3. using autofs and nis with sun nis server

4. USENIX BoF announcement: Solaris Community BoF, Wed, 9:00 PM

5. Solaris 2.x NFS and NIS server with Solaris 1.x clients???

6. Linux DR Dos Emulation Mode

7. nis, nfs, autofs: auto.master, auto.misc, auto.home help please

8. Reading Input without echoing chars

9. NIS , NFS and autofs

10. NIS, NFS and autofs

11. NIS + NFS + autofs

12. So, linux can't automount home directories using autofs and NIS

13. Secure NFS under Solaris 2.5/2.5.1 without NIS/NIS+ ?