SMTP port being blocked on Fedora 4.

Post by Ken Te » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:52:48

I'm trying to get the sendmail server working under Fedora 4, but the
SMTP port (tcp/25) is being blocked by something and I can't find what
is doing it.

I've turned off the iptables with no luck.  And there isn't anything
in hosts.deny (or allow) .

On the local machine I can telnet to the port and get the proper smtp
greeting. So I know that is working.  But trying from other machines
gets a connection refused.

I can ssh into the local machine from outside and even ping it without
the iptable rules active.

anyone have any ideas what else might be blocking the port?
I'm hoping I'm just missing something simple.

thanks

Post by Paul Blac » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:02:06

> I'm trying to get the sendmail server working under Fedora 4, but the
> SMTP port (tcp/25) is being blocked by something and I can't find what
> is doing it.

The default configuration is that sendmail only listens on the loopback
address; in sendmail.mc:
dnl # The following causes sendmail to only listen on the IPv4 loopback
address
dnl # 127.0.0.1 and not on any other network devices. Remove the loopback
dnl # address restriction to accept email from the internet or intranet.
dnl #
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

Amend this and regenerate the sendmail.cf file.

Paul

Post by Adam KOS » Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:50:36

> I'm trying to get the sendmail server working under Fedora 4, but the
> SMTP port (tcp/25) is being blocked by something and I can't find what
> is doing it.

> anyone have any ideas what else might be blocking the port?
> I'm hoping I'm just missing something simple.

fuser -v -n tcp 25

1. SMTP server port maybe being blocked

I cannot seem to setup an SMTP server correctly, or the port is
somehow being blocked, if anybody has any ideas for me, please let me
know! :)

Here are some facts:

I can telnet into the smtp server when I'm on the linux system by
typing:
telnet 127.0.0.1 25

That seems to work just fine, I get the SMTP prompt, like this:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 my_hostname ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.2/8.11.2; Wed, 23 Jan 2002
00:52:40 -0500

But I can't telnet into it from like my windows machine, nor can I
send emails with it using Outlook Express on Windows, it gives me this
error: The connection to the server has failed. Account:
'192.168.1.60', Server: '192.168.1.60', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

By the way, I can't even telnet into it using the servers internal IP
address on the network, like [telnet 192.168.1.60 smtp], it does the
same thing as it does when I try to telnet into it from another
computer on the network! This is what happens:

Trying 192.168.1.60...

IPTABLES and IPCHAINS aren't running, and I can use POP, HTTP, FTP,
TELNET, and SSH just fine! So I don't how that port is being blocked
between the two computers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Linuxguyz

2. Emulate F12 key on a tip session

3. SMTP only listens on host.domain.com:smtp want *:smtp

4. Linux ppp not writing to screen

5. SMTP port 25 -> port ??

6. Which motherboard for OS/2

7. Network Block Device on Fedora FC1

8. Newsreaders for X

9. Strange SSH halting problem between Fedora Core 2/Fedora Core 3

10. update from fedora 4 to fedora 5 removed usb access

11. upgrade fedora 2 to fedora 4

12. Installed Fedora, can't telnet from PC into Fedora machine?

13. Revers DNS, SMTP, am I missing something?