Support for 3Com Fast Etherlink XL PCI 3C509B-TX card

Support for 3Com Fast Etherlink XL PCI 3C509B-TX card

Post by Mark Wheato » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi there,
        can anyone tell me if there is a Linux driver for the 3Com Fast
Etherlink XL PCI Ethernet Card (3C905B-TX) that will run the card at
100MB/s?

We currently have a driver from Donald Becker at NASA which does a great
job of running it at 10 MB/S, but doesn't seem to support the faster
speed.

All suggestions welcome

Mark

Support for 3Com Fast Etherlink XL PCI 3C509B-TX card

Post by K. » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Use the Tulip driver. It works fine with mine :-)

> Hi there,
>         can anyone tell me if there is a Linux driver for the 3Com Fast
> Etherlink XL PCI Ethernet Card (3C905B-TX) that will run the card at
> 100MB/s?

> We currently have a driver from Donald Becker at NASA which does a great
> job of running it at 10 MB/S, but doesn't seem to support the faster
> speed.

> All suggestions welcome

> Mark

Support for 3Com Fast Etherlink XL PCI 3C509B-TX card

Post by Mark Wheato » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
        Thanks! Where can I get this driver from?

Mark

> Use the Tulip driver. It works fine with mine :-)

> > Hi there,
> >         can anyone tell me if there is a Linux driver for the 3Com Fast
> > Etherlink XL PCI Ethernet Card (3C905B-TX) that will run the card at
> > 100MB/s?

> > We currently have a driver from Donald Becker at NASA which does a great
> > job of running it at 10 MB/S, but doesn't seem to support the faster
> > speed.

> > All suggestions welcome

> > Mark

Support for 3Com Fast Etherlink XL PCI 3C509B-TX card

Post by Peter Desnoye » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

 [regarding the tulip driver]

Quote:>Hi,
>       Thanks! Where can I get this driver from?

It was a joke - that's what the smiley was for, I assume.

Paul Schmidt just answered this question - the 3c59x driver also
handles this card.

--
Peter Desnoyers

Support for 3Com Fast Etherlink XL PCI 3C509B-TX card

Post by Peter Samuels » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> can anyone tell me if there is a Linux driver for the 3Com Fast
> Etherlink XL PCI Ethernet Card (3C905B-TX) that will run the card at
> 100MB/s?
> We currently have a driver from Donald Becker at NASA which does a
> great job of running it at 10 MB/S, but doesn't seem to support the
> faster speed.

You *do* mean megabits, not megabytes, right?  (The best I've ever seen
from my 10/100 cards (using FTP) is just over 7 megabytes per second.)

Anyway, my 3C905 (-905, not -905B) works just fine and plenty fast
... and the same driver (3c59x) claims to support the 905B as well.
See Don's web page:

  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html

download the latest driver, then if necessary, report a bug.

Also, are you *sure* the card isn't doing 100 Mb/s?  As explained in
the web page, you can't trust the output from `ifconfig' on this one.
Benchmark it.

--
Peter Samuelson
<sampo.creighton.edu!psamuels>

Post by A Red Hat Linux us » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> We currently have a driver from Donald Becker at NASA which does a great
> job of running it at 10 MB/S, but doesn't seem to support the faster
> speed.

> All suggestions welcome

> Mark

Hmmm, that's a bit odd. I've used version 0.99E of the 3c59x driver with
the 905B-TX  at 100Mbps with no problems. Just a note, the only clues
that it is running at 100Mbps is the status light on the back,
and measuring the network throuput.

What is the card peered to?

G'day,
sjames

1. 3COM 3C905-TX Fast EtherLink XL PCI Card

I am looking for a driver for this card. Running kernel 2.0.30 (Redhat
4.2). Donald Beckworth's site returns a "NOT FOUND" when I try to
download one he says will work. Has anyone had success with this card
under the same configuration.

Regards,

Dennis M. Gray

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

2. ssh port forwarding

3. 3com PCMCIA Card (3com Fast Etherlink XL 3C575-TX)

4. mozilla wrapper

5. ether: 3Com Fast EtherLink XL PCI-TX 10/100-BT ?

6. slack, cablemodem, dhcp, help

7. 3Com Fast Etherlink XL PCI 3C905-TX driver for SCOR5

8. fte editor and ispell

9. 3COM Fast Etherlink XL 10/100Base-TX (3c905B-TX)

10. Driver for 3COM 3C905 Fast Etherlink XL PCI card

11. Does Linux support 3Com Fast Etherlink XL 10/100MB card?

12. 3Com 3C905-TX-IBM Fast EtherLink XL Configuration in AIX 4.2