ICQ through IP Masq

Post by Ken C » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I have icq running on my win95 box working with no problem?
It connects via my linux box to the internet. I only use
ipfwadm to setup filtering and don't use ip-autofw. Does everything
else work on your win95 box to the internet? in icq preferences/connection
do
you have 'i have a permanent internet connection (lan) checked?
and 'I am not behind a firewall' checked?
btw: i am running 2.0.35 w/ppp 2.3.5 and diald
--
Ken C. / MCNE
remove zz's for reply

ICQ through IP Masq

Post by Road Runne » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

i have checked out the ip masq resource page.
but i am still confused about ip_autofw.
the resource page says to use the ipautofw program with the patch
but when i use the patch it breaks my kernel (i now have 2.0.35)

the other thing when i do make config and select ip_autofw to build
as a module after i have compiled kernel modules and install it all
there is no module for ip-auotfw.

it is my understanding that i need to get ipautowf working for
ICQ ot work on the 95 box, can anyone help me ?

thanks RR

ICQ through IP Masq

Post by Daniel Laws » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>Kernel 2.0.34   PPPd 2.3.5
>I've got ICQ running in Win98 through a Linux IP Forwarding/Masq box., the ICQ
>file transfer doesn't seem to work, though all of the other ICQ functions seem
>to work okay. I haven't tried ICQ Chat yet...

>Anybody have ideas about why ICQ file transfers wouldn't work through a Linux
>IP Forward/Masq setup?

Yep.
If your ipfwadm forwading rules are dependant upon packets coming over
eth0 originating from your local network, then ICQ - which tends to
adopt your PPP IP address - will not be allowed through..

try sending a file from ICQ, then run 'ipfwadm -Mln' the first column
of ips should all be localnet ips, but chances are there'll be one
that is your current PPP IP - thats the ICQ file send.

Easy fix is to select "Always use Real IP" in the security & privacy
section of ICQ

Not so easy fix - run a socks5 proxy, which bypasses your ipfwadm
firewall anyway, so you dont need to worry about which IP ICQ thinks
its coming from

Ciao
Daniel

ICQ through IP Masq

Post by Daniel Laws » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Yep.
>If your ipfwadm forwading rules are dependant upon packets coming over
>eth0 originating from your local network, then ICQ - which tends to
>adopt your PPP IP address - will not be allowed through..

>try sending a file from ICQ, then run 'ipfwadm -Mln' the first column
>of ips should all be localnet ips, but chances are there'll be one
>that is your current PPP IP - thats the ICQ file send.

>Easy fix is to select "Always use Real IP" in the security & privacy
>section of ICQ

>Not so easy fix - run a socks5 proxy, which bypasses your ipfwadm
>firewall anyway, so you dont need to worry about which IP ICQ thinks
>its coming from

Okay, just found that this mightn'y be the perfect solution..
I had a similar problem with DCC send / chat initiating on IRC.
Telling mirc to basically use my real ip, rather than my masq one,
works... as long as the person i'm dcc'ing isn't behind an ip_masq
firewall themselves.
In that case, i'm doing a dcc connection between my real ip (say,
192.168.0.2) and their real ip (say 10.0.7.5). which isn't going to
work..

I know a socks5 firewall on the gateway will allow ICQ file send and
receives to work. its a bit of hassle tho... but it works at least..

ICQ through IP Masq

Post by w.. » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

But your configuration only allow outgoing traffic, others might
not be able to initiate a chat with you. The IP address ICQ server and
other users know are that of your Linux Box, not your Win95 machines
where ICQ is running. So you must have a way to let the outside world
to contact your Win95 box inside the firewall of Linux box. The simplest
way is to use ipautofw, the port firewall, to reserve a range of
incoming port number which will directly related to your win95 box
inside. Just like the Masq App homepage said.

> I have icq running on my win95 box working with no problem?
> It connects via my linux box to the internet. I only use
> ipfwadm to setup filtering and don't use ip-autofw. Does everything
> else work on your win95 box to the internet? in icq preferences/connection
> do
> you have 'i have a permanent internet connection (lan) checked?
> and 'I am not behind a firewall' checked?
> btw: i am running 2.0.35 w/ppp 2.3.5 and diald
> --
> Ken C. / MCNE
> remove zz's for reply

1. ICQ thru masq firewall?

Hi - This may be a FAQ - but from Google, I've seen more questions than
satisfactory answers :-(

My colleagues are hassling me to start using ICQ, but my current
firewall setup doesn't allow it, and I'm reluctant to start allowing
stuff without understanding 1) what ICQ does, and why; and 2) what nasty
side effects I could be generating.

I found a kernel module (I can't remember how) and installed it, but it
doesn't seem to work.

Part of the problem may be that I've never used ICQ, and as I said I'm
not sure what features need what connections. Is it possible that the
module will let me do most stuff, but actually signing up for an account
is blocked?

Any suggestions most welcome.

Many thanks,

Richard

2. How to re-read /etc/profile file at ksh without logout

3. IP Masq and ICQ Chat

4. connect Win98 to Linux via serial ports ?

5. ICQ in IP Masq / ipautofw problem

6. KERNEL QUESTION

7. IP Masq and ICQ (quick question)

8. IBM RISC/System 6000 N40 notebook

9. IP Masq (works) and ICQ (!@#$% doesn't work)

10. ICQ and IP MASQ

11. ICQ problems with IP Masq Debian 2.2.15

12. Does ICQ and Yahoo Chess work with IP Masq?

13. IP MASQ and ICQ.