remote printer for other unix...lpd, host.lpd, etc

remote printer for other unix...lpd, host.lpd, etc

Post by Luc Lalond » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm trying to setup a Linux box as a remote printer server for other
UNIX boxes such as Solaris.  I can print to the linux box from the
remote hosts if the user exists on both the local machine and the remote
machine.  However, I'd like to be able to print to the Linux box without
having to add users to the Linux box.

I've added all the machines that will access the printer into the
/etc/hosts.lpd file and here is a copy of the pertinent entry in my
/etc/printcap file:

hplaser:\
         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
         :mx#0:\
         :sh:\
         :lp=/dev/lp0:\
         :rs=false:\
         :sc:\
         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer!

Cheers, Luc.
P.S. Please also reply to the following address:

Post by Jeremy L. Buchman » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

[...]

I'm not *exactly* sure how to solve your problem, but look at the following:

From the lpd man page:
 "Second, if the rs capability is specified in the printcap
     entry for the printer being accessed, lpr requests will only be honored
     for those users with accounts on the machine with the printer."

From the printcap man page:
     rs         bool      false                  restrict remote users to
                                                 those with local accounts

Try removing the rs entry altogether and see what happens.

Jeremy Buchmann       "Those who trade freedom for safety deserve

1. Remote Printer and hosts.lpd

I have read the howto's, the mini-howto's, and the lpd man pages,
etc...but I cannot figure out how to allow my 'sundevil' (RH 5.0
Workstation) to print to a printer attached to 'zenet' (an old 486
machine running RH 5.0) on my local net.  I got it to work using SMB
(since both are running Samba) but its just stupid to have to use SMB
between two Linux machines, and it does not seem to handle just text
(prints a blank page) but handles postscript just fine.  I know that I
have to create an /etc/hosts.lpd, but I do not know the format for this
file.  I tried putting in one line, "sundevil", but this did not seem to
work, since my print jobs continue to spool locally instead of being
sent to the HP printer on 'zenet'.

Any additional help on how to set this up, or on the format of the
hosts.lpd file would be greatly appreciated.

Bill~

2. Best way for monitoring traffic in FreeBSD?

3. lpd ignoring the hosts.lpd file ???

4. Please Help: pdisk doesn't recognise IDE HD on iBook

5. How to allow access to LPD (UNIX print server) from remote hosts?

6. Imakefile help / info

7. Lpd hangs at startup when remote printer is offline and there are jobs for the printer

8. default type directive on CERN server?

9. Setting up a SCO lpr printer to serve as remote printer for PC lpd's

10. sample of /etc/hosts.lpd file

11. /etc/hosts.lpd

12. Format of /etc/hosts.lpd ?