hardware - computer & nics recommendations?

hardware - computer & nics recommendations?

Post by Barry von Tobe » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 23:50:47

Hi:
I have been asked to specify several computers that can work as Linux
routers.  My interfaces are varied; 1,000BaseX, 100BaseX, ATM 0C3,
Serial.  My computer may have to be a Dell OptiPlex 933 Mhz.  Any
recommendations on the computer and NICs?
thanks!
Barry

hardware - computer & nics recommendations?

Post by dont wor » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 01:10:45

yeh

dont use dell

they are pants...

build one specific to your needs as a router...

imho i dont think you need a fast machine to act as a router, as long as the
nics are good and your setup (linux) is done well, then a 486 would work.

hth

Quote:> Hi:
> I have been asked to specify several computers that can work as Linux
> routers.  My interfaces are varied; 1,000BaseX, 100BaseX, ATM 0C3,
> Serial.  My computer may have to be a Dell OptiPlex 933 Mhz.  Any
> recommendations on the computer and NICs?
> thanks!
> Barry

hardware - computer & nics recommendations?

Post by Rick Bestan » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 02:15:14

Quote:> dont use dell

> they are pants...

Are skirts better?  How about kilts?

hardware - computer & nics recommendations?

I tried smc, 3com, adaptec, etc.  Is ATM really that dead?

-

Post by Bill Unr » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 08:41:46

]imho i dont think you need a fast machine to act as a router, as long as the
]nics are good and your setup (linux) is done well, then a 486 would work.

I do not think I would use a 486 for 1000baseX.

]> Hi:
]> I have been asked to specify several computers that can work as Linux
]> routers.  My interfaces are varied; 1,000BaseX, 100BaseX, ATM 0C3,
]> Serial.  My computer may have to be a Dell OptiPlex 933 Mhz.  Any
]> recommendations on the computer and NICs?
]> thanks!
]> Barry

hardware - computer & nics recommendations?

How 'bout "Gateway" computers?  ;-)

--
Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly
ignored.

"james.knott".

1. "How to config a computer with two nics"

Hi:I am a newby to Linux (Red Hat 6.0)and am very frustrated in how to
configure my cable modem and I have a second nic card on the same computer
networked to our second computer (both nics are 3com3c509)have seen the
mini-howto on configing a cable modem but that does'nt work either.And I
understand that you have to disable the PNP and have done that to and no
workie.Could anyone please help me and remember keep the answer in laymens
terms.

                     Thanks
                     Danny Lee

                      http://www.help.com/

2. Configuring TCP/IP: No route to host

3. recommendation on hardware recommendation

4. Best Cigars

5. PC Computer Hardware Sale. - hardware.txt (1/1)

6. removing kerberos v4 from Solaris 2.5.1 installation

7. 2 NICs & 2 computers

8. I can no booting my hp900 hp-ux system.

9. routing - 3comps - one dualport-nic & two "normal" nics

10. Buggy hardware in linux & failed hardware in Win'95

12. FW & Gw woes with 2 NIC's, only 1 NIC works at one time

13. Thanks for book recommendations & early report on books & bought today