pinging linux returns "hardware error"

Post by gav » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 22:54:22

hi,

I am new to linux networking and am using Debian but am pretty experienced
at networking windows machines....
Anyway, I have a cable modem and a hardware router (SMC barricade) that
assigns my PCs IP addresses using DHCP.  My windows machines can ping each
other fine.  However, when I try to ping my linux box from my windows 98 PC,
the ping command returns:

Hardware Error
Hardware Error
Hardware Error
Hardware Error

yet from the linux box I can ping the 98 machine no problem! Both machines
have dynamic IP addresses and I am definately pinging the correct ones (as
displayed using "ifconfig")

The linux box can access the internet no problem as I installed Debian on it
using the "install over network" option using HTTP...

any ideas what this "Hardware Error" means? I dont think it is really
anything to do with "hardware"!! It seems an odd message for "ping" to
return...

cheers!

Post by Running Wil » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 03:53:12

> hi,

> I am new to linux networking and am using Debian but am pretty experienced
> at networking windows machines....
> Anyway, I have a cable modem and a hardware router (SMC barricade) that
> assigns my PCs IP addresses using DHCP.  My windows machines can ping each
> other fine.  However, when I try to ping my linux box from my windows 98 PC,
> the ping command returns:

> Hardware Error
> Hardware Error
> Hardware Error
> Hardware Error

> yet from the linux box I can ping the 98 machine no problem! Both machines
> have dynamic IP addresses and I am definately pinging the correct ones (as
> displayed using "ifconfig")

> The linux box can access the internet no problem as I installed Debian on it
> using the "install over network" option using HTTP...

> any ideas what this "Hardware Error" means? I dont think it is really
> anything to do with "hardware"!! It seems an odd message for "ping" to
> return...

> cheers!

Remember, you're messing with Windows 98 now - it often reports errors
incorrectly. I think you have a resource conflict in Win98 or the
drivers for your network adapter are incorrect. I don't believe it's a
hardware error. Try pinging the loopback address (127.0.0.1), what does
it say?

pinging linux returns "hardware error"

Post by gav » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 20:28:07

hey!

thanks for your reply.
Well you were right after a fashion - it was nothing to do with my linux
box, it was working fine afterall! I have a small firewall application on my
98 box and for some reason it was disrupting all outgoing ping attempts-
dont know why as it never used to - Doh! I cleaned up its rule list and
lo-and-behold everything was fine!  No idea why it would report as "hardware
error" but as you say - we are talking about windows here... :-)

Anywayz - live and learn!

Gav

> > hi,

> > I am new to linux networking and am using Debian but am pretty
experienced
> > at networking windows machines....
> > Anyway, I have a cable modem and a hardware router (SMC barricade) that
> > assigns my PCs IP addresses using DHCP.  My windows machines can ping
each
> > other fine.  However, when I try to ping my linux box from my windows 98
PC,
> > the ping command returns:

> > Hardware Error
> > Hardware Error
> > Hardware Error
> > Hardware Error

> > yet from the linux box I can ping the 98 machine no problem! Both
machines
> > have dynamic IP addresses and I am definately pinging the correct ones
(as
> > displayed using "ifconfig")

> > The linux box can access the internet no problem as I installed Debian
on it
> > using the "install over network" option using HTTP...

> > any ideas what this "Hardware Error" means? I dont think it is really
> > anything to do with "hardware"!! It seems an odd message for "ping" to
> > return...

> > cheers!

> Remember, you're messing with Windows 98 now - it often reports errors
> incorrectly. I think you have a resource conflict in Win98 or the
> drivers for your network adapter are incorrect. I don't believe it's a
> hardware error. Try pinging the loopback address (127.0.0.1), what does
> it say?

1. startx returns errors "Not a declared device" or "Chipset string expected"

I am tring to edit XF86Config to get the startx command
working.  I have installed the X server which comes with the
Slackware 3.5 CD.  My video card is an ATI Mach32
Graphics Ultra Pro ISA 2048K.

The error messages that the startx command returns provide
line references at the end of the XF86Config file.
startx seems to boggle at the entry for "Identifier" in the
"Graphics device section" and variously reports the error
messages referenced in the Subject line above.  I have tried
ATI-Mach32, ATI 68800-6 (which is reported by SuperProbe),
svga and Generic svga for the "Identifier" entry but to no
avail.

What is actually meant by a declared device?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael Eisenstadt

2. Increase Traffic...Post Free Links

4. LILO problems with Win95

6. How do I use cron to ping if no keypress...

7. Change "return EBLAH" to "return -EBLAH in drivers/*

8. Daemon development questions

9. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

10. "carriage return" and "line feed" encoding

11. Does select return "read ready" or "won't block" status?

12. Cygwin bash "id -un" returns "Administrator" when I'm not

13. Help: use SED to move or replace "New-line" & "return" char