usernet vs. wmppp

Post by Barry Marle » Mon, 16 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I long ago used netcfg to configure ppp and have since connected to my isp
via usernet.  Recently, I downloaded and compiled wmppp, a WindowMaker
dock app that monitors modem activity and will also launch ppp scripts.
It works, and is more convenient to use since it sits on the WM dock and
precludes launching an application.  The problem is that when I use it,
cursor moves, window draws, etc, slow to a crawl when the modem is under a
heavy load, such as when Netscape is loading a page.  Does anyone know
what files usernet uses to establish ppp?  I have searched to no avail.
The documentation implies that wmppp can use the same files that usernet
uses (or any files, for that matter).  Thanks.

--------------
Barry Marler
A218 Life Sciences Building
University of Georgia
Athens, GA  30602
(706)542-1779
(706)542-1738 (fax)

usernet vs. wmppp

Post by Jeff » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Usernet uses /sbin/ifup and /sbin/ifdown...  usage is:

        /sbin/ifup ppp0
        /sbin/ifdown ppp0

> I long ago used netcfg to configure ppp and have since connected to my isp
> via usernet.  Recently, I downloaded and compiled wmppp, a WindowMaker
> dock app that monitors modem activity and will also launch ppp scripts.
> It works, and is more convenient to use since it sits on the WM dock and
> precludes launching an application.  The problem is that when I use it,
> cursor moves, window draws, etc, slow to a crawl when the modem is under a
> heavy load, such as when Netscape is loading a page.  Does anyone know
> what files usernet uses to establish ppp?  I have searched to no avail.
> The documentation implies that wmppp can use the same files that usernet
> uses (or any files, for that matter).  Thanks.

> --------------
> Barry Marler
> Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
> A218 Life Sciences Building
> University of Georgia
> Athens, GA  30602
> (706)542-1779
> (706)542-1738 (fax)

1. Kppp Vs Usernet

I noticed a strange problem, when I use 'kppp' to dial out I
get a very slow connection than when I use 'usernet'. For example my
home page is refreshed at 500-600bytes/sec whereas if I dial out with
usernet its typically 4-5K/sec !!
Has anyone else faced the same problem ? I am using a USR 56K v.90
Voice Int Modem.

I cant see anything unusual in the init string for either configuration.

All answers appreciated.

Roy Varghese.

2. Q: Good Dual Pentium board for Linux?

3. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

4. No http access after kernel recompilation

5. Perfomance: tar vs ftp vs rsync vs cp vs ?

6. Need a good list server for linux

7. Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs ....

8. Big Screen :(

9. DOS vs. Windows vs. Mac vs. Unix vs. NS

10. KDE vs. Openlook vs. Xfree86 vs. MetroX vs. CDE

11. Redhat vs Debian vs Yggdrasil vs Caldera vs ...

12. wmppp + getmodem speed problem

13. WMPPP-1.1 released