dip drops carrier at 'mode PPP'

Post by Archer Graphi » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00

When I run dip, whether with a script, or manually (dip -t), when it gets
to mode PPP, it IMMEDIATELY hangs up the line.
I'm not sure exactly what triggered this problem, but I suspect that it
was when I upgraded pppd to work with the 2.x.x kernel.

--
Tiggers don't jump, they bounce!

Post by Al Longye » Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>When I run dip, whether with a script, or manually (dip -t), when it gets
>to mode PPP, it IMMEDIATELY hangs up the line.
>I'm not sure exactly what triggered this problem, but I suspect that it
>was when I upgraded pppd to work with the 2.x.x kernel.

Did you forget to rebuild the dip program from the source after correcting
the location for pppd in the dip's pathnames.h file?

The 2.2.0f version of pppd move the code file from the old non-standard
location of /usr/lib/ppp/pppd to the new standard location of
/usr/sbin/pppd. Chances are that dip is still pointing to the wrong
location. Rebuild it.