NT to Samba DC problem

Post by intrep.. » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hello, all..

This is undoubtedly a simple Samba problem, but from what I've read
and the posts I've gone through, I've not seen something precisely
similar.

I've got Samba chugging on a Linux box, and all is running as
expected; logons from my Win98 client are working just fine, the
network shares are correct, browsing works as expected. So what's the
problem?  When I attempt to join the domain hosted by Samba, my NT 4
WKS box tells me it cannot contact the PDC for the domain.

The machine account has been added to smbpasswd; I've added the PDC to
lmhosts on the NT box; the NT box can ping and browse the PDC, and use
its file shares normally. There's apparently some type of simple
addressing error or problem I've induced that prevents the NT box from
seeing the linux box as the PDC, but I'm just not sure where. The
tests from the Samba FAQ all work as suggested from either side (Samba
side or NT side).

Any help humbly appreciated!

David Whitney

NT to Samba DC problem

Post by Nikica Petrini » Thu, 13 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi David,

Did you turn on password encryption in Samba?
I had a similar problem as my Samba server is serving
a number of 95 machines too. NT4 wouldn't connect until
password encryption was enabled. However, then I
couldn't logon from any of the 95 machines so
I ended up in a catch 22. Any hints?

Nik

> Hello, all..

> This is undoubtedly a simple Samba problem, but from what I've read
> and the posts I've gone through, I've not seen something precisely
> similar.

> I've got Samba chugging on a Linux box, and all is running as
> expected; logons from my Win98 client are working just fine, the
> network shares are correct, browsing works as expected. So what's the
> problem?  When I attempt to join the domain hosted by Samba, my NT 4
> WKS box tells me it cannot contact the PDC for the domain.

> The machine account has been added to smbpasswd; I've added the PDC to
> lmhosts on the NT box; the NT box can ping and browse the PDC, and use
> its file shares normally. There's apparently some type of simple
> addressing error or problem I've induced that prevents the NT box from
> seeing the linux box as the PDC, but I'm just not sure where. The
> tests from the Samba FAQ all work as suggested from either side (Samba
> side or NT side).

> Any help humbly appreciated!

> David Whitney

NT to Samba DC problem

Post by intrep.. » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi Nik:

Yes, password encryption is turned on in Samba. I believe a later
patch to 95 or an upgrade to 98 will be needed to allow those clients
to attach to the Samba server that encrypts passwords. Samba is
presently serving as a workgroup logon server to my 98 client with no
problem.

David

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 23:18:38 -0000, "Nikica Petrinic"

>Hi David,

>Did you turn on password encryption in Samba?
>I had a similar problem as my Samba server is serving
>a number of 95 machines too. NT4 wouldn't connect until
>password encryption was enabled. However, then I
>couldn't logon from any of the 95 machines so
>I ended up in a catch 22. Any hints?

>Nik

>> Hello, all..

>> This is undoubtedly a simple Samba problem, but from what I've read
>> and the posts I've gone through, I've not seen something precisely
>> similar.

>> I've got Samba chugging on a Linux box, and all is running as
>> expected; logons from my Win98 client are working just fine, the
>> network shares are correct, browsing works as expected. So what's the
>> problem?  When I attempt to join the domain hosted by Samba, my NT 4
>> WKS box tells me it cannot contact the PDC for the domain.

>> The machine account has been added to smbpasswd; I've added the PDC to
>> lmhosts on the NT box; the NT box can ping and browse the PDC, and use
>> its file shares normally. There's apparently some type of simple
>> addressing error or problem I've induced that prevents the NT box from
>> seeing the linux box as the PDC, but I'm just not sure where. The
>> tests from the Samba FAQ all work as suggested from either side (Samba
>> side or NT side).

>> Any help humbly appreciated!

>> David Whitney

NT to Samba DC problem

Post by Scott Ree » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Greetings:

Turn on the password encryption in Win95

Scott

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 23:18:38 -0000, "Nikica Petrinic"

>Hi David,

>Did you turn on password encryption in Samba?
>I had a similar problem as my Samba server is serving
>a number of 95 machines too. NT4 wouldn't connect until
>password encryption was enabled. However, then I
>couldn't logon from any of the 95 machines so
>I ended up in a catch 22. Any hints?

>Nik

>> Hello, all..

>> This is undoubtedly a simple Samba problem, but from what I've read
>> and the posts I've gone through, I've not seen something precisely
>> similar.

>> I've got Samba chugging on a Linux box, and all is running as
>> expected; logons from my Win98 client are working just fine, the
>> network shares are correct, browsing works as expected. So what's the
>> problem?  When I attempt to join the domain hosted by Samba, my NT 4
>> WKS box tells me it cannot contact the PDC for the domain.

>> The machine account has been added to smbpasswd; I've added the PDC to
>> lmhosts on the NT box; the NT box can ping and browse the PDC, and use
>> its file shares normally. There's apparently some type of simple
>> addressing error or problem I've induced that prevents the NT box from
>> seeing the linux box as the PDC, but I'm just not sure where. The
>> tests from the Samba FAQ all work as suggested from either side (Samba
>> side or NT side).

>> Any help humbly appreciated!

>> David Whitney

1. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

*     / - -                           /-----/ /                          *
*    /____  /   / /----/ /----/      /       /     /----/ /---/ /----/   *
*        / / / / /----/ /----/      /       /---/ /----/ /   / /----/    *
*   ___ / /_/_/ /____  /____       /_____/ /   / /____  /   /  ____/     *

---
 t MR/2 t

2. Mount/umount cdrom & floppy, how

3. Samba : cannot access Samba server via NT Domain.

4. Exabyte tape library, Advantech RAID

5. Samba als NT-Dom?nenserver für NT 4.0 Workstations

6. C Shell Default Printer?

7. NT<->Samba performance depends on _size_ of NT environment variables!?!

8. Trying to load Solaris 2.7(Intel) on a Dell Dimension R450

9. How to connect NT machine through samba Linux box to NT net?

10. Synchronizing a NT domain with NT 4.0 and Samba servers.

11. Samba vs NFS (Re: When is Samba faster than NT)

12. Tekram DC-315U/DC-935UW support?

13. How to setup samba as primary DC?