WinNT question + Linux networking question

WinNT question + Linux networking question

Post by Justi » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 09:44:37

Hello everybody!
This first question isn't really a linux networking question but I thought
people working with linux prob know a lot about networking so anyways:

Ive read things on samba and i understand (hopefully) that it is a way to
let different computers share files and printers, particularly so for M$ Win
computers. But on my school computers, everyone has a different login name
and password for WinNT, and they log in from any computer connected to the
network and have their own private U: drive, and can use network resources,
whats that sort of networking called? is it possible to do that with linux?

My second question is what ill need to build a linux gateway + firewall.
Because I might be getting broadband internet (is ADSL the same thing?), i
want to setup a Linux gateway + firewall computer so my (future) home
network can all share that internet and also hide behind the firewall. Im
doing reading on how to get linux to do that, i just want to know for sure
what i need in terms of hardware. I think I'll need:
a computer with linux running (would a P200MMX do?), a NIC for that comp, a
network hub that connects the linux comp with the rest of the comps in my
house (theyr Win9x and WinXP and are currently not networked at all) and a
broadband modem for the linux comp. Would that work?

btw If you know any sites that has tutorials on these things please let me
know the URL, thanks in advance!

Post by joseph phili » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 15:10:34

> Hello everybody!
> This first question isn't really a linux networking question but I thought
> people working with linux prob know a lot about networking so anyways:

> Ive read things on samba and i understand (hopefully) that it is a way to
> let different computers share files and printers, particularly so for M$ Win
> computers. But on my school computers, everyone has a different login name
> and password for WinNT, and they log in from any computer connected to the
> network and have their own private U: drive, and can use network resources,
> whats that sort of networking called? is it possible to do that with linux?

Don't know what it's called, but in windows, the logon that you see is a
domain logon. There is a post-logon script that runs, and mounts your
drive on U:, which would be on a file server somewhere.

You can do the same in linux, even authenticate with  a central
authentication server, and them mount /home/<usrname>/ on some remote
server via "NFS".

Quote:> My second question is what ill need to build a linux gateway + firewall.
> Because I might be getting broadband internet (is ADSL the same thing?), i
> want to setup a Linux gateway + firewall computer so my (future) home
> network can all share that internet and also hide behind the firewall. Im
> doing reading on how to get linux to do that, i just want to know for sure
> what i need in terms of hardware. I think I'll need:
> a computer with linux running (would a P200MMX do?), a NIC for that comp, a
> network hub that connects the linux comp with the rest of the comps in my
> house (theyr Win9x and WinXP and are currently not networked at all) and a
> broadband modem for the linux comp. Would that work?

A pentium 100 computer is sufficient for handling adsl traffic. Mine here
constantly gives me 130KB/s to my isp's news servers. Each packet going
through that computer is being marked by the firewall, and it's doing
traffic control, never letting any one computer hog the line.

Of course, there is no graphical interface on it. I don't have enough
video cards. It's all command line, hence the  low processor speed. If I
were to put something on the order of WinXP's GUI ( like KDE or GNOME), I
would then need a farely recent computer. I would suggest that you stay
away from GUI's on a  gateway/firewall machine.

connect modem to one nic on linux.
connect hub to another nic on linux.

Quote:> btw If you know any sites that has tutorials on these things please let me
> know the URL, thanks in advance!

http://www.tldp.org

The best place.

WinNT question + Linux networking question

Post by Martin Coope » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 17:57:13

Hi,
    samba can easily be setup to map a drive to a windows machine as you
require, see http://samba.mirror.ac.uk/samba/docs/ for info on samba
including howto documents etc.

For internet connection sharing, take a look at
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/ which gives a pretty good
description of how it all works.  A P200MMX will be fine providing you
don't want to run gnome or KDE on it (which you shouldn't on a firewall
anyway).

--

   Martin

WinNT question + Linux networking question

Post by Marti » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:41:27

<snip>
Quote:> Ive read things on samba and i understand (hopefully) that it is a way to
> let different computers share files and printers, particularly so for M$ Win
> computers. But on my school computers, everyone has a different login name
> and password for WinNT, and they log in from any computer connected to the
> network and have their own private U: drive, and can use network resources,
> whats that sort of networking called? is it possible to do that with linux?

<snip>

It's called a roaming profile

1. Linux/WinNT networking question

Hello,

I would like to setup a network with a central compute/file server running
Linux with a Windows emulator, like Wine, running on top of it. The client
PCs attached to the server would be "dumb" terminals. Each terminal would
basically run and access Windows applications directly from the remote
server.
This would be analagous in a UNIX environment to remotely logging
into a server and setting the DISPLAY variable to point to the local
machine.

Does anyone here have any ideas on how feasible this would be? Specifically
I'd like to get a sense of how hard it would be to implement, how cost
effective it would be, and how hard would it be to maintain.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

-Paul

2. xsetroot with bitmaps?

3. Linux/WinNT/Win95 inter-network question(s)

4. Cluster Swap Space Configuration?

5. linux internet w/ winNT network -questions-

6. Char Dev Skeleton.

7. FreeBSD - WinNT networking Question

8. Couldn't spawn child process?

9. WinNT vs Linux technical question

10. WinNT under Linux or Linux under WinNT (was Re: Emulator for IMB)

11. Partition question for Win98, Linux and WinNT

12. WinNT/Win95/Linux Install questions

13. Question? How to use WinNT to connect LINUX?