domain with remote hosts?

Post by Juergen Hein » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>be a host on her domain (she has FreeBSD).

>ie.  she is (lets say) thinker.blah.net
>     I want to be einstein.blah.net

>I have a static IP address from my ISP, but it is not on the same Class-C as
>her's.      We can probably talk to the ISP and get our IP's on the same Class-C
>if that would do it.

>Could anyone please give me some insight into what has to be done.

You ought not do that. You friend is in *no way* authoritative for
the zone blah.net and *nor has anyone delegated that zone* to your friend.

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jrgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /

  \ Phone Private : +44 181-332 0750              \                  /

domain with remote hosts?

Post by Juergen Hein » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>What are you talking about???

I guess it's I who's meant ...

Quote:>It was an example.. I didn't want to advertise her domain in the newsgroup!
>She did tell me I could, so I didn't.  I made up the domain blah.net as a
>example...  Her's is something totally different.

... yes. Might be I got you wrong (?). Okay, assuming she *is* authoritative
for a certain zone, foobar.net and you want to be visible via ...
nslookup yourmachine.foobar.net
... too I cannot see a problem (she really should know) some confusion aside,
since a reverse DNS lookup will lead to *two* different results for some
time, depending which NS responds. In other words using the same address for
two different FQDN's just for fun ... you must not do that either 8)

In addition there is a MX record, for instance, for foobar.net ... now mail
sent to your machine will go to the mail exchanger for foobar.net of course
and so on and so on.

In other words, please do not mess around with the DNS, it might result in
things you cannot say anything about yet.
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jrgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /

  \ Phone Private : +44 181-332 0750              \                  /

domain with remote hosts?

Post by Malwar » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi Gut,

> I have a friend with a cool domain and a good job.  She can afford a leased
> line and a domain and I can't.  I dialup to my ISP and what we want to do
> seems simple, but I'm not exactly sure how to do it.  I want my RH5 system to
> be a host on her domain (she has FreeBSD).

Technically it's quite simple if your friend is running the nameserver
for here domain. She then just needs to add one entry to the zone file.
But as she seems not to know how this is working she probably do not run
the nameserver herself and have to ask here ISP to adding such an entry.
Additionally you might want ask your ISP if this would be OK - don't
know you need to do so.

Quote:> I have a static IP address from my ISP, but it is not on the same Class-C as
> her's.  We can probably talk to the ISP and get our IP's on the same Class-C
> if that would do it.

It does not need to be in the same network. But the reverse lookup will
gain another name then but that should be ok. Moving your IP into here
subnet is not a good idea but might be possible if you are connected to
the same ISP.

Malware

domain with remote hosts?

Post by Gut » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I don't mind messing with DNS, I just don't know exactly how to do it.
We don't really care if we totally*things up.  It is not a business
domain... it's for personal use.  The more we*up, the more we learn.

But thanks for the warning :)

Gut

                  http://www.veryComputer.com/

domain with remote hosts?

Post by Gut » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Yeah she runs her own nameserver for her domain, but we are both pretty
new to this stuff.

We haven't tried adding a zone yet.  The problem I have is this.
If someone in webland pings my static IP then my ISP (same as hers) knows
to route the packets directly to my machine, right.  Now instead lets say
someone pings einstein.herdomain.com, HOW does my ISP know to route the
packets to me.  Hmmm... yeah... I think you're right, my ISP would then
route packets to her b/c she has that domain.  She would look in her
zone/hosts file and then bammo, hopefully they end up getting to me.
Hmmm.. seems I answered my own question.....  oh well

We'll give it a shot.. thanks a million

Gut

> Hi Gut,

> > I have a friend with a cool domain and a good job.  She can afford a
leased
> > line and a domain and I can't.  I dialup to my ISP and what we want to
do
> > seems simple, but I'm not exactly sure how to do it.  I want my RH5
system to
> > be a host on her domain (she has FreeBSD).

> Technically it's quite simple if your friend is running the nameserver
> for here domain. She then just needs to add one entry to the zone file.
> But as she seems not to know how this is working she probably do not run
> the nameserver herself and have to ask here ISP to adding such an entry.
> Additionally you might want ask your ISP if this would be OK - don't
> know you need to do so.

> > I have a static IP address from my ISP, but it is not on the same
Class-C as
> > her's.  We can probably talk to the ISP and get our IP's on the same
Class-C
> > if that would do it.

> It does not need to be in the same network. But the reverse lookup will
> gain another name then but that should be ok. Moving your IP into here
> subnet is not a good idea but might be possible if you are connected to
> the same ISP.

> Malware

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

domain with remote hosts?

Post by Juergen Hein » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>I don't mind messing with DNS, I just don't know exactly how to do it.
>We don't really care if we totally*things up.  It is not a business
>domain... it's for personal use.  The more we*up, the more we learn.

Since the DNS is a distributed, worldwide, database some other people
might mind but I am giving up ...

Sigh,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jrgen Heinzl                 \       no flames      /

  \ Phone Private : +44 181-332 0750              \                  /

domain with remote hosts?

Post by Malwar » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi Gut,

> to route the packets directly to my machine, right.  Now instead lets say
> someone pings einstein.herdomain.com, HOW does my ISP know to route the

einstein.herdomain.com will be translated into your static IP by the
nameserver of your friend. And everything works like normal. For routing
the IP numbers are used not any names. That names are only for the users
which can not remember all that numbers.

Malware