Linux Clustering Hardware ?s

Post by Dan Mesim » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 00:40:38

Greetings all,

    I have been scouring through the Newsgroups and a multitude of
websites for an answer to my questions, but cannot seem to find it.
So I will ask you all.

I would like to setup a small cluster at home for educational value
using MOSIX.  I have a AMD 600 and an old Pentium 133 that I would
like to use.  My question is:  I already have a NIC in the AMD and
have it hooked up to my Cable modem and all (actually through a switch
which has other computers hooked up to it so as to share the cable
modem which is fine).  I want to know if it is possible to basically
add a NIC to the AMD and the old pentium and have them use these new
nics as the network for the 2 node Cluster?  And if I did this would
it cause problem with my internet access on my main (AMD)?  Would I
have to set them up as routers?  Or am I making this way to hard?

BTW:  I am using RedHat 7.0 and plan to use the newest version of
MOSIX that requires a recompile of the 2.4.5 kernel source.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Dan Mesimer

Linux Clustering Hardware ?s

Post by David Konerdi » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 02:52:47

Quote:> Greetings all,

>     I have been scouring through the Newsgroups and a multitude of
> websites for an answer to my questions, but cannot seem to find it.
> So I will ask you all.

> I would like to setup a small cluster at home for educational value
> using MOSIX.  I have a AMD 600 and an old Pentium 133 that I would
> like to use.  My question is:  I already have a NIC in the AMD and
> have it hooked up to my Cable modem and all (actually through a switch
> which has other computers hooked up to it so as to share the cable
> modem which is fine).  I want to know if it is possible to basically
> add a NIC to the AMD and the old pentium and have them use these new
> nics as the network for the 2 node Cluster?  And if I did this would
> it cause problem with my internet access on my main (AMD)?  Would I
> have to set them up as routers?  Or am I making this way to hard?

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.  I have a similar set up: a
"master" node which is a dual-homed host (two NIC's on two networks).
eth0 (the first NIC) is a "true" internet address, reachable from
anywhere (like the NIC attached to your cable modem) and eth1
(the second NIC) uses one of the so-called "private IP's" such as 10.*.*.*
and 192.168.*.*.  I made sure to configure the master node carefully such
that the default route was to the internet (using my exterior gateway address).
For convenience I set up a DNS server and NFS server on the master node,
as well as a firewall on the master node which disallowed any access to the
DNS and NFS from outside.  I gave the master node's eth1 the address 10.0.0.1
and all the cluster nodes are 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.whatever.

I didn't actually make the master node a "router" per se since I didn't
need to access the internet from the cluster nodes.  Therefore I simply
didn't enable ip forwarding in the kernel...

Dave