cable-modem

Post by Ingu » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Howdy,
does anyone have a cablemodem with static ip-adress working on linux?

Redhat 6.0
NIC: 3com 905B
nic for internal network doesn't function (yet)
Gateway and DNS servers are on a different networkaddress then my ipaddres.

Tips, trix and whatsoever are appreciated..

Ingus

cable-modem

Post by Ingu » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

hi,

Quote:> Howdy,
> does anyone have a cablemodem with static ip-adress working on linux?

I had it once, some moths ago...
--> chello (in Austria) gives you always the same IP adress,
so i had no troubles with that...
But I would use the dynamic IP-Adress from dhcp...

Quote:> nic for internal network doesn't function (yet)
> Gateway and DNS servers are on a different networkaddress then my

ipaddres.
I guess, you use private IP adresses for your internal Network ???
(chello would't route your IP to the internet...)
--> Use IPchains and do adress-translation...
(Internal Network-Card, as default Gateway for the internal pc's,
external
Nwinterface default Gateway for the Server(In this case the external
IP can
change because of dhcp without problems...)

--> Look for the ipchains HOW-TO's, they are pretty detailled...

greets
MIC

cable-modem

Post by Richard Jam » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Howdy,
> does anyone have a cablemodem with static ip-adress working on linux?

I just set up my first linux machine... I used Fireplug/Edge Router
Project. It runs from a single floppy! It is capable of using either
static IP's or DHCP on both the internal and external connections. I have
a cable modem connection that I'm forced to use DHCP with, but there is
no apparent reason why it should not work with static addresses.

--
From an Island in the Pacific,
Richard James, Victoria, BC

cable-modem

Post by Bill Unr » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>does anyone have a cablemodem with static ip-adress working on linux?

You do not say what does not work. It is hard to fix an unknown problem.
The solutions may go from "you have to plug the cable from the ethernet
card into the modem" to "You have to define such and such a route."

Quote:>Gateway and DNS servers are on a different networkaddress then my ipaddres.

Does Linux have a route to get to the gateway and DNS servers?
(route -n)

cable-modem

Post by <couga.. » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Howdy,
> does anyone have a cablemodem with static ip-adress working on linux?

> Redhat 6.0
> NIC: 3com 905B
> nic for internal network doesn't function (yet)
> Gateway and DNS servers are on a different networkaddress then my
ipaddres.

> Tips, trix and whatsoever are appreciated..

I was fighting with this exact same problem for weeks.  The problem was
coming from not having, or being able to get the Linux driver to work for
the 3com PnP nic drivers.  Most of the other 3com cards are supported
fully, but this one was still in the beta test of the drivers, and not
supported by 3com.  Finally, I gave up and spent $25.00 for a Bay Networks
Netgear 10/100 nic, built well, but still a very cheap solution.  Plugged
it in and was able setup the driver, and IP info with no problems.  Windows
grabbed it and set it up quickly too.  Make sure you get your IP info from
your WIN95/98 connection using WINIPCFG.exe.  Write down all the info that
is presented to you.  Don't worry about having different gateway, and DNS
server adresses than your IP address, Linux will handle it without
hesitation.  Linuxconf is where you will have to input all of the info that
you have.  I am using Mandrake Linux 6.1.  It is based on Red Hat, but I
know it is slightly different from RedHat 6.0, so I can't give you the
exact details, but you will see where to input the Client Config info.
After you have rebooted, and got the nic drivers("tulip") loaded correctly,
you should be able to get out on the net instantly.  Good luck, and happy
surfing.

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. Netstat Problems

3. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

4. trying to find my cards driving clock frequency...

5. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

6. Diamond-FAQ? Where??

7. Linksys/RR/Cable-Modem problems

8. lilo and xp upgrade to pro

9. Cox Cable installing a cable modem

10. natbox (cable-modem) with dialup backup?

11. Cable-Modem configuration with Cog├ęco ISP

12. Cable-modem

13. (2nd try) hooking sun to (cable-modem hooked to pc/win2k)?