Connecting to @Home (via linksys PCMCIA -> Linksys BEFSR41) (Mandrake 8.0)

Post by Mustang66_28 » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 06:34:28

Hello,

I'm a new linux desktop user, but have been using linux in the web
server environment for a while now (have not configured things such as
networking, but have configured apache, and the like).

I installed Mandrake 8.0 from the ISOs on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop
and so far I do like the KDE and Gnome desktop managers. After a bit
of wrangling with the video card (turns out the xserver was using a
different config file than I was editing), I am up and running with

I have tried linuxconf, the mandrake control and netconf to configure
my LINKSYS PCMPC100 PCMCIA card to point to my Linksys router
(Befsr41). The router is set to be a dhcp server. One of my many
questions is what device do I use for my PCMCIA card. I have tried
eth0, eth1 and dummy0 (the help mentioned this). None seem to work.
When I boot I hear the PCMCIA beeps (two of them) and the lights are
lit on the card and router. Ping gives unknown host. I set the gateway
to 192.168.1.1 and checked the enable box, subnet to 255.255.255.0,

supposed to be using?

Please Help!

Connecting to @Home (via linksys PCMCIA -> Linksys BEFSR41) (Mandrake 8.0)

Post by Ozus » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 11:04:12

just a wild guess did you run dhcpd or enable your ethernet card to get ip
ip from dhcp server ???

> Hello,

> I'm a new linux desktop user, but have been using linux in the web
> server environment for a while now (have not configured things such as
> networking, but have configured apache, and the like).

> I installed Mandrake 8.0 from the ISOs on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop
> and so far I do like the KDE and Gnome desktop managers. After a bit
> of wrangling with the video card (turns out the xserver was using a
> different config file than I was editing), I am up and running with

> I have tried linuxconf, the mandrake control and netconf to configure
> my LINKSYS PCMPC100 PCMCIA card to point to my Linksys router
> (Befsr41). The router is set to be a dhcp server. One of my many
> questions is what device do I use for my PCMCIA card. I have tried
> eth0, eth1 and dummy0 (the help mentioned this). None seem to work.
> When I boot I hear the PCMCIA beeps (two of them) and the lights are
> lit on the card and router. Ping gives unknown host. I set the gateway
> to 192.168.1.1 and checked the enable box, subnet to 255.255.255.0,

> supposed to be using?

> Please Help!

Connecting to @Home (via linksys PCMCIA -> Linksys BEFSR41) (Mandrake 8.0)

Post by Thomas F » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 12:26:39

The following links may be of help:
http://www.veryComputer.com/*.com/m_homenetworking/overview.html
http://www.veryComputer.com/*.com/conn_perf/connection/howdoitestmyconnecti...

The second mentions a (Windows) NetDiag.exe program, which probably
won't do you much good unless you're running a dual-boot configuration
(or have a Windows PC lying around too).

I have a laptop with Windows Me, and a minitower in a Windows Me /

/ DSL router, also configured for DHCP since I had some mysterious
difficulty getting the email to work with assigned IPs.  (I always
boot the laptop first, so it ends up locally as 168.192.1.100 & the
minitower is .101)

I think the issue is having Linux configured for DHCP.  I'm running
RedHat 7.1 and as I recall, I specified DHCP in the installation.

Going to Programs / System / Network Configuration, I have 24.4.112.33

Domain = localdomain.

On the Interfaces tab, my Ethernet controller is set as eth0 / dhcp /
atboot = yes / and active.

Post by Thomas F » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 12:36:05

[...]

Cool- this morning my zillion posts from last night have decided to appear!

Post by Mustang66_28 » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:22:14

>just a wild guess did you run dhcpd or enable your ethernet card to get ip
>ip from dhcp server ???

I hadn't before, however I tried dhcpcd and then a ping and still get
unknown host. I also tried dhcpcd -I eth0 and a ping w/same result. I
saw someone mentioned issuing a route -n I get this result:

destination gateway genmask ....
127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0

This looks wrong to me. I have set my gateway in netconf and it
doesn't seem to be appearing in the route -n. How do I check to see if
the ethernet card is enabled? I see it in the mandrake PCMCIA program.

Thanks!

>> Hello,

>> I'm a new linux desktop user, but have been using linux in the web
>> server environment for a while now (have not configured things such as
>> networking, but have configured apache, and the like).

>> I installed Mandrake 8.0 from the ISOs on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop
>> and so far I do like the KDE and Gnome desktop managers. After a bit
>> of wrangling with the video card (turns out the xserver was using a
>> different config file than I was editing), I am up and running with

>> I have tried linuxconf, the mandrake control and netconf to configure
>> my LINKSYS PCMPC100 PCMCIA card to point to my Linksys router
>> (Befsr41). The router is set to be a dhcp server. One of my many
>> questions is what device do I use for my PCMCIA card. I have tried
>> eth0, eth1 and dummy0 (the help mentioned this). None seem to work.
>> When I boot I hear the PCMCIA beeps (two of them) and the lights are
>> lit on the card and router. Ping gives unknown host. I set the gateway
>> to 192.168.1.1 and checked the enable box, subnet to 255.255.255.0,

>> supposed to be using?

>> Please Help!

1. Linksys Realplayer 8 / Linksys BEFSR41 Router settings?

I have configured several boxes at home behind a Linksys router
#BEFSR41.Both my w2k and linux boxes are able to connect through the
router however Realplayer(RealOne) only connects through the router
successfully on my w2k box. On the linux box I have installed RealPlayer
8 successfully but cannot get get it to connect through the router.
Playing local ra files works fine. What should I be looking at in order
to solve this? I tried looking at preferences and tried Auto-Configure
to no avail.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony.

2. sendmail and smtp server

3. Linksys BEFSR41 and Red Hat Linux 8.0 problems - Please help!

4. Newbie: Problem with pty - pls help.

5. Suse 8.0 and Linksys wireless pcmcia card

6. Why use LAN at home?

7. ?Linksys USB100TX / Mandrake 8.0 / IBM Thinkpad i1451?

8. xrn and xmail

9. ?linksys USB100TX / Mandrake 8.0?

10. Linksys WPC11 Wireless PCMCIA in Red Hat 8.0 - Need Help

11. linksys pcmcia ethernet & Mandrake 7.1

12. Trying WEP w/ Linksys & Mandrake PCMCIA

13. can not connect to internet via my linksys router on fedora linux desktop