1. Problem regarding Bridging, MTU, Masquerading 802.1q VLANs on SuSE 9.0
currently I am setting up a quite unusual configuration.
A SuSE Linux Box with 2 3C905-X NICs follows shall get tow
tagged VLANS on one NIC, masq the second network behind a
single IP of the first Network (Layer 3 Networks match the
Layer 2 Networks), and bridge only one of the VLANs to the
VLAN/Vconfig-tools are installes, the two VLANs on eth0 are
up. I will have to patch the drivers for the 3C905-X Cards
to support MTUs of 1504 Bytes.
Questions to the group:
- Looking into the patch code, I doubt if I could configure
the NICs with MTU=1504 on eth0 and MTU=1500 on eth1. Any
- Is ist possible to bridge a tagged VLAN to a native
eth1 with the packets appearing untagged on eth1?
- I would prefer bridging the first tagged vlan on eth0
to the same tagged vlan on eth1. This leads to vlan per NIC
instead of VLAN per kernel and this leads to a conflict to
the SuSE configuration abstractions, so I will to have to
patch suseconfig scripts, conventions and eventually
structure. Any Experiences here?
| | | SuSE 9.0 Win NT
-------+ VLANx +-----------+ Subnet x +--------+
HP2524 |-------------| Router |----VLANx----| Server |
-------+ VLANy +-----------+ +--------+
| | | masqu'ing Subnet y
The first concept was to use the windows NT Server to mask
one net behind an IP of the other net. As Windowss NT is
unable to do this by concept (AFAIK) and an update to Win2k
cannot be done for about the next 12 Months, and because all
switchports and outlets are used, I have to insert the
routing box between the switch and the server.
I do not want to insert an additional switch between the
server, connecting the HP2524, the routing box and the
server, I want the Linux Box to do the bridging.
After the upgrade to W2k the Win Box could do the masking
and the router could be removed without having to reconfigure
2. Opening tty port without raising dtr/dsr
3. Does IBM RS/6000 100Mbps NIC support 802.1q (VLAN)?
4. Problems with gzip on Solaris x86 2.1
5. 802.1q vlans and Cisco 2948 switches
7. 802.1Q VLAN trunk support on 2 trunked ge cards.
8. Adaptec 2940 BIO 1.16 and 1.21; what's the diff
9. 802.1Q VLAN patch for 2.4.4-pre3 & 2.2.19
10. 2.4.16: 802.1Q VLAN non-modular
11. IEEE 802.1q VLAN support?
12. Anyone doing Linux VLAN? 802.1q
13. VLANs (802.1q frame tags) and bridges connecting Xen domU guests