Linux machine need local network & internet IP address?

Linux machine need local network & internet IP address?

Post by Robert Three » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

[snip]
> >machine however also needs to sit on a network which has a completely
> >different set of IP addresses. The machine logs on and off from the
> >internet so it is not connected all the time.
> >How should I define my addresses so that all the machines can still talk
> >to the Linux machine even when the Linux machine is on the net.

> Simply give you're ethernet (or whatever network you have) interface
> an IP address from the same subnet as the other hosts and you will
> work just fine.

Isn't this a problem if the ISP has assigned the same IP address to one
of it's other clients?

Post by Mattias Brunsche » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> > >machine however also needs to sit on a network which has a completely
> > >different set of IP addresses. The machine logs on and off from the
> > >internet so it is not connected all the time.
> > >How should I define my addresses so that all the machines can still talk
> > >to the Linux machine even when the Linux machine is on the net.

> > Simply give you're ethernet (or whatever network you have) interface
> > an IP address from the same subnet as the other hosts and you will
> > work just fine.

> Isn't this a problem if the ISP has assigned the same IP address to one
> of it's other clients?

There exists a reserved IP-address space for private use
(RFC 1918) :

10.x.x.x
172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x
192.168.x.x

Regards,

Mattias

1. Linux machine need local network & internet IP address?

I have a small question which I haven't found explained in the help
topics for Linux.
I have been allocated a fixed IP address for my internet connection to
the internet. Which I have successfully setup using SLIP. The Linux
--
David Cawkwell

2. compaq usb ISDN adapter

3. Getting IP Address and Subnet Mask of the local machine in network.

4. Northwest Arkansas LUG, Tuesday 17 July 2001

5. Howto redirect traffic from local machine to internet back to local machine?

6. tcl/tk irc client works for root only

7. Telneting To Linux Machine On Local Network From Internet

8. Solaris 2.4 serial line interface

9. several IP addresses and Internet names on the same Linux machine

10. internet address port forward local network...

11. connecting machine to internet via modem causes loss of local network access

12. Machines on local area network can't access internet

13. ipfwadm -- How do you set multiple internet IP over a local network ?